Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal Employment

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Federal Employment

    Hello everyone,I currently have 63 credits towards a Cj degree,and I have been working as an intake counselor for a homeless shelter for about 14 months.My problem is i am having trouble understanding all the pay grade statuses on USAjobs. What type of openings would I qualify for with my current creds?I will clarify if my post does not seem clear enough,thank you very much!

  • #2
    generally speaking, you will only qualify for positions open to "all U.S. Citizens" since you do not have any federal experience. You will also only qualify for jobs without a 'positive education' requirement (i.e. you NEED a degree). Lastly you will only be able to qualify for jobs based on your "experience"... meaning that you cannot qualify on education alone.

    That said, none of this shouldn't be a major issue for entry level LEO jobs (0083). Most 1811 jobs would be out until you get your degree since many of these require a BA/BS.

    Comment


    • #3
      Post above is probably right. Although you can still apply for jobs that require a college degree, and cite your graduation date. Federal jobs take 1-2 years to be hired.

      You can only apply to the ALL US Citizen jobs or the Entry Level positions.. Around GS 5 or 7 (when you get that degree)

      If the jobs are supervisory, or starting salary is GS-11+ this is not something you can apply to. This is for people already in the GOV system or plenty of experience.

      ** This post is just generally speaking and not true in all cases.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by masterchief_13 View Post
        Hello everyone,I currently have 63 credits towards a Cj degree,and I have been working as an intake counselor for a homeless shelter for about 14 months.My problem is i am having trouble understanding all the pay grade statuses on USAjobs. What type of openings would I qualify for with my current creds?I will clarify if my post does not seem clear enough,thank you very much!
        What kind of experience did you have in the military, masterchief?
        "Well, there is a delicate corneal inversion procedure... multi-opti-pupil-op-to-my. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me."

        Comment


        • #5
          I think he took the name from the XBOX game 'Halo' not the Navy, ha! If he took it from the Navy, then man, he has tons of experience, please disregard my above post!

          Comment


          • #6
            With your current creds, probably entry level police and security jobs--most likely at the GS 5 level. I imagine a Google search would adequately explain the GS ratings.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the info,and yes my name is taken from Halo.I would love to work for ICE one day.I am currently in the process for a TSO position.From what I read the job isn't very favorable but the job puts you in the fed system,is this something I can use to my advantage and transfer to fed Le position?

              Comment


              • #8
                Every little bit helps. I don't know what TSO means, but if you are in the Fed system I'm sure it will help. Special Agents come from various backgrounds - however I would say most have some sort of police experience. Get that degree, stay out of any kind of trouble (even seatbelt tickets for my case ), and start building your network of contacts in the agencies. Recruiters, local PD officers, etc..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by masterchief_13 View Post
                  Thanks for the info,and yes my name is taken from Halo.I would love to work for ICE one day.I am currently in the process for a TSO position.From what I read the job isn't very favorable but the job puts you in the fed system,is this something I can use to my advantage and transfer to fed Le position?
                  ICE, what? OI, DRO? Do you want to be a Special Agenct, IEA, DRA, DO,SDDO? Any type of job with govt will help you as far as your time goes, but if you want to work TSA, go for it.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by masterchief_13 View Post
                    Thanks for the info,and yes my name is taken from Halo.I would love to work for ICE one day.I am currently in the process for a TSO position.From what I read the job isn't very favorable but the job puts you in the fed system,is this something I can use to my advantage and transfer to fed Le position?
                    Be careful with TSA jobs... TSA is an Excepted Service Agency. What this means in plain terms is that it does not confer "career status". So even once your "in" you might not really be considered "in" when applying to other jobs.

                    A lot of federal jobs that are for "current status employees" will have something like this in the announcement:

                    Open to current or former Federal employees
                    with Federal competitive employment status
                    obtained through a current or former permanent
                    competitive service appointment
                    with the Federal
                    government


                    If your in an excepted service appointment you will not be able to apply for jobs like this.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by formerusssnusmc View Post
                      Post above is probably right. Although you can still apply for jobs that require a college degree, and cite your graduation date.
                      Read the particular announcement... this statement will not be true 90% of the time. Most vacancy announcement specifically require that meet all of the requirements by the application deadline not when you start the job.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Fed0080 View Post
                        Be careful with TSA jobs... TSA is an Excepted Service Agency. What this means in plain terms is that it does not confer "career status". So even once your "in" you might not really be considered "in" when applying to other jobs.

                        A lot of federal jobs that are for "current status employees" will have something like this in the announcement:

                        Open to current or former Federal employees
                        with Federal competitive employment status
                        obtained through a current or former permanent
                        competitive service appointment
                        with the Federal
                        government


                        If your in an excepted service appointment you will not be able to apply for jobs like this.
                        TSA is covered by an interchange agreement, so TSA employees can transfer to other agencies as a status candidate.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BD380 View Post
                          TSA is covered by an interchange agreement, so TSA employees can transfer to other agencies as a status candidate.
                          I'm sorry but what exactly does that mean?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You can start to apply for fed jobs with education requirements 9 months before you graduate. For example, if you graduate in December, starting in March you can begin applying using your education alone. You just need to note somewhere on your resume the date you will be graduating.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by masterchief_13 View Post
                              I'm sorry but what exactly does that mean?
                              If you work for TSA and another federal agency has openings for "status candidates" (current federal employees), you can be considered.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 12662 users online. 473 members and 12189 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X