300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amtrak Police

Just noticed today that they were hiring again around my area. Does Amtrak require you to have prior academy training or will they send you to an academy?

Found this in the posting so i am guessing you need your post.

Education:
    Required: High School Diploma or GED.
    Preferred: A certificate of successful completion of a basic training program at a state authorized training academy, or current related experience as a police officer or similar law enforcement experience. An Associates Degree or 60 hours/credits from an accredited college or university is preferred.

Comment

How did you hear

Where or how did you hear they were hiring?
      Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by sjh5147 View Post
        Just noticed today that they were hiring again around my area. Does Amtrak require you to have prior academy training or will they send you to an academy?
        They will send you to the academy.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by NJSouth View Post
          Where or how did you hear they were hiring?
          jobs.amtrak.com

NYC/Philly/LA have annoucements.....

Comment

Can somebody explain to me what these guys do on a day to day basis? Do they conduct investigations? Also, does anybody know what the starting salary is for this position?
            ICE IEA
            GEO PREFERENCE -Newark, NJ
            WRITTEN-5/15/08 Passed
            TO- 10/28/08
            MEDICAL/PHYSICAL-2/6/09 Passed
            DRUG TEST - 3/13/09 Passed
            OB-4/30/09 Passed
            BI-

Comment

I have gone through the process w/Amtrak PD and I was told that in Boston they spend about 50% of their tiime on a fixed post in the terminal/platform and 50% riding the trains between Boston and Providence. As far as investigations, they have their own SA's who handle complex investigations (you see postings for these every once and a while). They pay is in the mid $40k range to start but maxes out high (over $70k) over 20 years. I was also told that they honor previous experience with other law enforcement agencies so if you have a few years somewhere else you won't start at step 1. For an academy if you are already certified and can be sworn in the state you are hired for then you dont have to go but if not then they send you to FLETC (Basic Police).

Comment

Originally posted by Traditionalist View Post
                I have gone through the process w/Amtrak PD and I was told that in Boston they spend about 50% of their tiime on a fixed post in the terminal/platform and 50% riding the trains between Boston and Providence. As far as investigations, they have their own SA's who handle complex investigations (you see postings for these every once and a while). They pay is in the mid $40k range to start but maxes out high (over $70k) over 20 years. I was also told that they honor previous experience with other law enforcement agencies so if you have a few years somewhere else you won't start at step 1. For an academy if you are already certified and can be sworn in the state you are hired for then you dont have to go but if not then they send you to FLETC (Basic Police).
                Thanks for the info. How long is the academy?
                ICE IEA
                GEO PREFERENCE -Newark, NJ
                WRITTEN-5/15/08 Passed
                TO- 10/28/08
                MEDICAL/PHYSICAL-2/6/09 Passed
                DRUG TEST - 3/13/09 Passed
                OB-4/30/09 Passed
                BI-

Comment

Originally posted by jtmo25 View Post
                  Can somebody explain to me what these guys do on a day to day basis? Do they conduct investigations? Also, does anybody know what the starting salary is for this position?
                  A majority of the time you will be stuck within the station. Yes, we condcut criminal investigations.

Seriously folks USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! This has been discussed ad naseum!

Comment

Thanks for the info. How long is the academy?
                    14 weeks and whatever the state standard is.

Originally posted by Tradionalist
                    You described almost all the divisions in APD.

Comment

I see them all the time in Penn Station in NY. The Amtrak cops I see there are the most overweight/out of shape I have ever seen.

Comment

I applied for L.A. Just how much academy time am I looking at? 14 weeks at FLETC and then another 6 months at a local academy? That's a lot of training time.

Comment

Every agency is going to have overweight/out of shape officers. Individual officers in any one agency should not reflect on the whole agency. It should also not be a deciding factor on if anyone should apply to an agency. It could be part of the culture in that paticular office. All you can do is to get on with them and try to be the most in shape officer at that office, and inspire your coworkers to do better. Don't get me wrong, I don't want backup that can't put up much of a fight, but they are cops that have earned a badge. So for now just worry about getting hired on with a dept. and worry about coworkers fitness later.
                          Last edited by memphis PO PO; 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowdrop View Post
                            I applied for L.A. Just how much academy time am I looking at? 14 weeks at FLETC and then another 6 months at a local academy? That's a lot of training time.
                            14 weeks then a minimum for CA POST, I think about 6-8 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                              14 weeks then a minimum for CA POST, I think about 6-8 weeks.
                              I turned in an app for the Los Angeles Branch in December 2009 and haven't heard anything from them. Does anyone know of a contact number? I also have my CA academy POST with Law enforcement experience. Thanks!

-DeLadrian

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8027 users online. 451 members and 7576 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X