300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referred to Selecting Official

I applied to three USFS LEO jobs last month and I just got a email saying I was referred to the selecting official for all three. I was just wondering if everyone who meets the basic requirements is reffered, or is this something to get a little excited about?

I am not too hopeful about the gig considering I still have a semester to go before I get my BA in CJ and don't have any comissioned LE experience, so there are definately more experienced people out there. But I was just wondering what the referral means.. Thanks!

was it the one in pinecrest? I also got the same referral notice. I do have Park Ranger, Police Officer experience and a degree so Im not sure what they are looking for.

Comment

Good luck to all.
      Last edited by usms216; 01-08-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buffb27 View Post
        was it the one in pinecrest? I also got the same referral notice. I do have Park Ranger, Police Officer experience and a degree so Im not sure what they are looking for.
        No it was for the positions in Happy Jack and Payson, AZ and Pecos, NM

Comment

Originally posted by usms216 View Post
          I was referred as well, but won't have my degree until December.
          Same here

Comment

I do not believe that everyone who meets the basic qualifications gets referred, that is not typically how federal LE jobs work. I have been applying for USFS jobs for the past 6 months and got referred for several, for others I got a message that says I met the basic qualifications but nothing further. So far I've been referred for about 10 but have had only 1 interview. I wouldn't get terribly excited until you actually get an interview. Each agency is different, some will take a person with a degree over someone with experience. These positions are very competitive so anything you can do to add to your resume will help. Try to go on some ride-alongs with federal conservation officers, volunteer, and complete whatever training you can.

Comment

Training

Originally posted by JohnDoeCop View Post
              These positions are very competitive so anything you can do to add to your resume will help. Try to go on some ride-alongs with federal conservation officers, volunteer, and complete whatever training you can.
              Thats basically what I am trying to do now. I got about 200 hours of ride along time with state game wardens, USFS officers, and BLM LE rangers. I've been trying to get as much training as I can. I am signed up to begin a Wilderness First Responder class next week. I wan't to eventually get a EMT-B certification (maybe even Wilderness EMT) and Red Card for fire fighting.

However I am trying to think of other types of training that could help me out getting a gig with BLM, USFS or even USFWS. I was thinking Swiftwater Rescue, Whitewater Rescue, Rope Rescue, and Ice Rescue. I really have no issue paying for the training if it will help me out, I just don't want to pay for it and find out it won't help me out getting a job.

Can you think of any other training that would help me??

Comment

Wildlife97,
                Although I can't offer any advice for the Forest Service, I can offer some to help you in the future. Start now with networking. Go out and interview the person whose job you want in the future. They can be your mentor along the way, and perhaps, put in a good word for you. You will still have to prove yourself in interviews, BIs, etc, however only they can give you the best advice. This forum is VERY helpful, however, its only a supplement to the other things you should be doing to land a federal gig.

Ask the person you are going to interview the above questions you asked the forum...
                Also use examples like this: "In the Forest Service, what aspect of an individuals resume scores the most points for hiring?" Something like that..
                They may tell you they mostly hire people with degrees (good for you soon). Or "we are short 5 EMTs at the moment."

These jobs are so competitive, that a huge resume doesnt always help (unless in that resume you have the EXACT skill they need). They may have everything filled, but recently lost a certain skill set.. thats the inside information you want to know.. you will only get it by obtaining mentors in your respective field. All it takes is stopping by the office..

That is what I did several years ago with the USSS. Keep in mind you may need a referral to even get in the office. I used a US Marshal who I was interning for. Or, just go to the admin office, and ask them how you can speak to a ranger/officer/etc because you are interested in applying... That way they know you BEFORE you apply.

Good Luck - Keep up the motivation!
                Last edited by formerusssnusmc; 04-07-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11387 users online. 464 members and 10923 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X