300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition from Military to Civilian?

Hey guys, I'm in the Marine Corps and looking at getting out and becoming a LEO. One question I have is how far out should I start applying? 6 Months? 1 Year, 2 Years? Any other advice you guys have is appreciated! Thanks.

Brent

As soon as you feel you're ready to be honest. I'd say relax a couple months, then start applying.

But really, only you can answer that though bro. Good luck though!

Comment

You and a large # of other veterans are all doing the same thing. I know several people that just got out and can't find a job, let alone anyone hiring cops.

Stay in.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I would suggest a year out, depending on what agency you're looking to get on with. You can start by just getting some feelers out to see how long the process might be or if the agency is even hiring. If your looking for an 1811 position I'd say 15 months out. I got out in Sep 08 and am still in the process for a number of 1811 positions. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
          You and a large # of other veterans are all doing the same thing. I know several people that just got out and can't find a job, let alone anyone hiring cops.

Stay in.
          STAY IN!! LEO jobs are hard to come by these days. I am lucky enough to be employed as an LEO and have been for over five years, but now I have to deal with the constant threats of lay offs and attacks on my pension. If I had to do it all over again, I would have never gotten out of the Corps.

Semper Fi and good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by dd0779 View Post
            I would suggest a year out, depending on what agency you're looking to get on with. You can start by just getting some feelers out to see how long the process might be or if the agency is even hiring. If your looking for an 1811 position I'd say 15 months out. I got out in Sep 08 and am still in the process for a number of 1811 positions. Good luck.
            +1, I agree with this advise, but I would say apply for federal LEO positions a year out, local you can do like 6 months.

Originally posted by cowbucs View Post
            STAY IN!! LEO jobs are hard to come by these days. I am lucky enough to be employed as an LEO and have been for over five years, but now I have to deal with the constant threats of lay offs and attacks on my pension. If I had to do it all over again, I would have never gotten out of the Corps.

Semper Fi and good luck with whatever you decide.
            -1 on this advise. There is so much money outside of the military, where as its not worth staying in anymore. We all say its not about the money, but the love of the job, thats pure BullS***. We all do it for the money, and if not we would just donate our check once paid. If I was you, I would go federal, as Im taking it cowbucs is either local or a state LEO, because on the federal side, we dont worry about lay offs. If something did such as a field office shutting down, you would be a displaced employee in which you have preference over anyone for another federal job. I would go federal if I were you, because federal is where the money is at, along with the travel
            God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
            3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
            Applied: 6/22/09
            Exam: 7/24/2009
            SI/WA: 3/2/2010
            The Call: October 26, 2010
            PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
              +1, I agree with this advise, but I would say apply for federal LEO positions a year out, local you can do like 6 months.

-1 on this advise. There is so much money outside of the military, where as its not worth staying in anymore. We all say its not about the money, but the love of the job, thats pure BullS***. We all do it for the money, and if not we would just donate our check once paid. If I was you, I would go federal, as Im taking it cowbucs is either local or a state LEO, because on the federal side, we dont worry about lay offs. If something did such as a field office shutting down, you would be a displaced employee in which you have preference over anyone for another federal job. I would go federal if I were you, because federal is where the money is at, along with the travel
              I started applying and going to hiring sessions about 8 months out.

Disagree on the money thing though, got out over quality of life issues not the money. I really want to spend more time with my family and I was feed up with the Bull that the military was dishing out. Big changes from when I first joined, I will not be part of something that I don't trust. I am not afraid to dye for my country or for something that I believe in, but not for a country or people that don't want to be save themselves. Everyone say thank you for protecting my freedom and serving (thank-you for this military don't have a choice of where they go) the true is, if that was what I was doing than you would not be reading this.
              +1 on the federal, don't lose out on your time already served.
              Last edited by lschremp; 04-04-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lschremp View Post
                I am not afraid to dye for my country or for something that I believe in, but not for a country or people that don't want to be save themselves. Everyone say thank you for protecting my freedom and serving (thank-you for this military don't have a choice of where they go) the true is, if that was what I was doing than you would not be reading this.
                +1 on the federal, don't lose out on your time already served.
                It stops right there and it continues right here, because what I think lschremp is trying to say is that true love is blind.
                Last edited by mothq4; 04-04-2010, 03:42 PM.
                "Well, there is a delicate corneal inversion procedure... multi-opti-pupil-op-to-my. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me."

Comment

I say unless your MOS is marketable, then stay in. Apply about a year out (but ask the agencies that you want what their policies are). If you are still not hired by the time you are about to EAS, then definitely stay in. Otherwise, you would be unemployed three years after you get out Hint, hint.

Comment

Originally posted by mothq4 View Post
                    It stops right there and it continues right here, because what I think lschremp is trying to say is that true love is blind.
                    Thank you for the clarification I love our country it is the ones we are fighting for that I can't stand. Only thing else I will say on this matter is that in my personal and I say personal opinion the only reason we are in Afghanistan is to keep the fight there and not on American soil. We have no intention on winning that war. Again my personal opinion, (7 tours there and have seen how the policies and attitude have changed). As for thanking your vets, keep doing it, it is a selfless job.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification I love our country it is the ones we are fighting for that I can't stand. Only thing else I will say on this matter is that in my personal and I say personal opinion the only reason we are in Afghanistan is to keep the fight there and not on American soil. We have no intention on winning that war. Again my personal opinion, (7 tours there and have seen how the policies and attitude have changed). As for thanking your vets, keep doing it, it is a selfless job.
                      I am guessing from the pictures in your avatar and mine that we are both aircrew, you USAF and I USMC. Let's not try to co-opt the heroism of the dudes on the ground by insisting that we have a a self-less job.
                      "Well, there is a delicate corneal inversion procedure... multi-opti-pupil-op-to-my. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me."

Comment

Originally posted by mothq4 View Post
                        I am guessing from the pictures in your avatar and mine that we are both aircrew, you USAF and I USMC. Let's not try to co-opt the heroism of the dudes on the ground by insisting that we have a a self-less job.
                        Absolutely not, I have pulled countless young Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airman, from multiple nationalities Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Englishman, Afghans. Guess I am just a little bitter that they are dying in vain and that no one over there has the initiative anymore to put an ending to it, the problem has never been the talent of our military (none stronger, better trained or equipped). So unless it has changed in the last six months I don't see it... You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make them drink. That part of the world has been in some kind of conflict since Alexander the Great, he went around Afghanistan if I remember correctly.

These Things We Do, That Others May Live

I apologize for taking this trend off subject, if you get out go federal. Don't lose the time you already put in.
                        Last edited by lschremp; 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM.

Comment

These Things We Do, That Others May Live

...so, are you a PJ? Cause if you are, that's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by alien319 View Post
                            Hey guys, I'm in the Marine Corps and looking at getting out and becoming a LEO. One question I have is how far out should I start applying? 6 Months? 1 Year, 2 Years? Any other advice you guys have is appreciated! Thanks.

Brent
                            I have 8 months left and I've been applying since I had a year left. The sooner the better.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcvet View Post
                              ...so, are you a PJ? Cause if you are, that's cool.
                              Most CSAR forces use that motto.

No I am not a PJ, but I work very closely with them. I was/am a Helicopter FE, I am on terminal leave right now, still going to do it in the ANG but my Active Duty days are over.
                              Last edited by lschremp; 04-05-2010, 08:06 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8739 users online. 473 members and 8266 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X