300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What departments are hiring??

Im 23 and I have my Bachelors in Law Enforcement and an Associate of Arts degree as well. In MN, you have to go to the academy as part of your degree so I've done that already too. (I realize that this wont mean anything in another state but Im hoping it simply helps on the resume.) They are laying-off officers here, so it is extremely difficult to get hired. The 2 biggest cities have cancelled their academies for the second year in a row and most small cities are equally low on money so not hiring either. There has even been talk about cutting our state patrol in half. Needless to say, hard to find a job. Im sure it is everywhere but I wondered if anyone knew, for sure, that a department is hiring now/soon. I can relocate to anywhere in the country (-Alaska) and am willing to do so for a sworn police job. Does anyone know of any town, county, city or other hiring right now?

yup, http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/ supposedly hiring 200, and I believe FHP is aswell.
    C.O.P is key.

Comment

You could always google different police departments in other states...not too hard to do

Comment

Im in the same boat as you here in MN, pretty terrible. I would estimate on average at least 150 applicants per open position. Anyway check out Florida, Texas, and New Orleans, seems that they are hiring quite a few.

Comment

Jobs are pretty slim around the Kansas and Missouri border. Might get lucky and find one hiring but no more than 10-15 spots at a time and about 100-200 people apply for those spots.
          What Is A Veteran?
          A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane3387 View Post
            Im 23 and I have my Bachelors in Law Enforcement and an Associate of Arts degree as well. In MN, you have to go to the academy as part of your degree so I've done that already too. (I realize that this wont mean anything in another state but Im hoping it simply helps on the resume.) They are laying-off officers here, so it is extremely difficult to get hired. The 2 biggest cities have cancelled their academies for the second year in a row and most small cities are equally low on money so not hiring either. There has even been talk about cutting our state patrol in half. Needless to say, hard to find a job. Im sure it is everywhere but I wondered if anyone knew, for sure, that a department is hiring now/soon. I can relocate to anywhere in the country (-Alaska) and am willing to do so for a sworn police job. Does anyone know of any town, county, city or other hiring right now?
            Did you check the career section of this website?

Try this one, http://www.dps.state.mn.us/newpost/poolline.asp for local departments.

WA has a lot of departments hiring.

Before you decided to get an education in the LE field, did you do any research on the job market or what it takes to become an officer? It is not as easy as people think it is.

Comment

AR-15- Ive looked at the MN POST board's website and am applying to any openings posted. (But MN is one of the most competitive police markets in the country) Also, I did not do research before getting an education, however, I never implied it would be easy. I knew it would be a tough field to get into, but would you let that stop you from becoming a police officer? If because it was difficult and took dedication just to get the job, and I quit, then I should never become a police officer anyway. Ive been trying for 2 years and will keep trying until it works out somewhere. Unfortunately, its impossible to research the future and did not know that the economy would hamper my odds so much when I started. So that is why I posted on here. To see if there was any one who knew of departments that were not only making a list, but hiring. I dont think it will be easy, but I'm not stupid, better chances are better chances. So if there is somewhere where I can be an officer, I'll go.

Rasmblack- I dont know if that was a typo but 10-15 out of 100-200 is about 1:10. (incredible odds) Here the odds are more like sscott said, 150 per 1 position. (On the good end). If there is somewhere hiring 10 out of 100, let me know and Ill be on the next flight.

Comment

AR-15- Ive looked at the MN POST board's website and am applying to any openings posted. (But MN is one of the most competitive police markets in the country) Also, I did not do research before getting an education, however, I never implied it would be easy. I knew it would be a tough field to get into, but would you let that stop you from becoming a police officer? If because it was difficult and took dedication just to get the job, and I quit, then I should never become a police officer anyway. Ive been trying for 2 years and will keep trying until it works out somewhere. Unfortunately, its impossible to research the future and did not know that the economy would hamper my odds so much when I started. So that is why I posted on here. To see if there was any one who knew of departments that were not only making a list, but hiring. I dont think it will be easy, but I'm not stupid, better chances are better chances. So if there is somewhere where I can be an officer, I'll go.

Rasmblack- I dont know if that was a typo but 10-15 out of 100-200 is about 1:10. (incredible odds) Here the odds are more like sscott said, 150 per 1 position. (On the good end). If there is somewhere hiring 10 out of 100, let me know and Ill be on the next flight.
                Check out Maryland, all the county departments are full service for the most part.

MD State has both traffic and full service barracks. They have a 4 day out of state process (written, poly, medical, pt, etc) www.mdsp.org

Also - check out TX DPS, Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc.

Comment

Federal Police Positions are available for multiple agencys.......Some at entry, where you can use your education and experiance, you could also join the National Guard or Reserves at the same time. Good Luck,

From Overthere....
                  "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

Hurricane3387

I never implied you were stupid. You asked a question and you got answers, some you may like and some you may dislike. Just trying to help out.

Good luck in the job search.

WA and TX departments are hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post

WA and TX departments are hiring.
                      Actually things have changed up here in WA. With the amount of budget cuts just about every department is facing cuts, some are even considering disbanding or no longer having 24/7 coverage. The state academy was graduating about 2-3 classes per month, that is now down to one every other month. The only city departments that are hiring are those that just annexed areas (about 3 cities) and they are mainly hiring laterals. Basically no county is hiring. The state patrol will put through a academy this year, last years was canceled. All the other state agencies are mainly only hiring laterals...

Comment

yea.
                        With the amount of budget cuts just about every department is facing cuts, some are even considering disbanding or no longer having 24/7 coverage
                        thats exactly the problem here and everywhere wildlife. no money, no cops. thats why I posted here... To see if there were any officers or at least people directly related to a pd that knew they would be hiring. I dont have the money or time to travel for lists. I search alot online but how accurate is some of the information out there. (meaning who knows if they'll actually hire or if they just post it to see whos out there. 2 very different things when it costs $1000 to test.) I jsut want reliable info that it is worth my time to test and apply somewhere. So thanks for the info wildlife.

UD4life- I actually did just put in at Houston. However, I missed the academy dates for this year so if i make it, their next academy wont be til May of 2011. (which would be ok but with budget cuts= cancelled academies, after all that work, it makes me nervous.) But i have been looking into other departments in TX too.

Comment

yea.
                          thats exactly the problem here and everywhere wildlife. no money, no cops. thats why I posted here... To see if there were any officers or at least people directly related to a pd that knew they would be hiring. I dont have the money or time to travel for lists. I search alot online but how accurate is some of the information out there. (meaning who knows if they'll actually hire or if they just post it to see whos out there. 2 very different things when it costs $1000 to test.) I jsut want reliable info that it is worth my time to test and apply somewhere. So thanks for the info wildlife.
                          If you want me to provide you with the agencies who are hiring here in Washington let me know. They basically all use the same testing service which means you only have to complete one written and PT for as many agencies as you would like on one day. And the fee is under $100.

Comment

Dallas pd is the most out of state friendly and testing is fast. They have slowed down but still hiring alot compared to most states.

Comment

Try these, http://www.publicsafetytesting.com/

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/employment/index.htm

Citites of Kent, WA, Bellevue, WA, and Kennewick, WA, just to name a few.

Kent passed an annexation vote last year and plan on hiring 20 to 25 officers. And for Hurricane, the Kent Chief was the Chief in Lakeville before going out West.
                              Last edited by AR-15; 04-05-2010, 01:47 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12184 users online. 473 members and 11711 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X