Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Park Police vs Secret Service

Hey guys,

I am pretty far along in both the Secret Service Uniformed Division and the Park Police hiring processes. At this time, I am starting to think about which I would choose over the other if I was lucky enough to be offered both. I think both have their pros and cons but in my head, none seems to be a clear choice.

My end career goal is to be a Criminal Investigator, or possibly work long term on a special unit such as K9 or SWAT. I would be lying if I didnt say I would love to do FBI HRT. Since both USPP and USSS offer K9 and SWAT equivalents, I'm wondering peoples opinions/experiences about which agency is best for career prep.

I am almost 23 and my only experience is 2 Federal Internships and a Bachelors degree. I will be pursuing a Masters once I have a more stable job lined up.

Any and all input is welcome. Feel free to PM me if that is more comfortable for you.

Thanks
    USSS UD
    July 09: Application
    August 09: Post
    September 09: Initial Interview
    October 09: Panel Interview
    February 10: Polygraph
    February 16: Medical

USPP
    September 09: Application
    November 09: Test 94%
    January 10: PEB
    February 10: Medical
    March 10: Background
    April 28: Interview

Take the one that calls first , otherwise you could be waiting on a call that may never come.

Comment

Ya that is true. But the way things are lining up and the timeline that I am getting from both sides, it could be within the same week. I guess I should reword my question to "If I was offered both jobs at the exact same time, which should i take?"

Thanks
      USSS UD

USPP

Comment

Originally posted by wannaleo87 View Post
        Ya that is true. But the way things are lining up and the timeline that I am getting from both sides, it could be within the same week. I guess I should reword my question to "If I was offered both jobs at the exact same time, which should i take?"

Thanks
        As a DC police officer I have worked extensively with both agencies. Both are full of good officers and good opportunities. One thing I think you should ask yourself is how much do you want to travel? USPP is more of a traditional law enforcement agency than U/D in DC, at least in my opinion. UD will offer you opportunities to travel when certain protectees travel, especially in an election year. This can be seen as a pro or a con, depending on the individual person.

However, you are right in that both have good specialized units. It's a tough call to decide which one is better as our pros and cons might differ. Good luck, though.

Comment

If you want to be a "cop" and make lock ups/etc then US Park.

Its not even close, I know lots of people there (some former UD) and all are very happy.

Comment

As stated, I would take what you get first, but if I had to choose between the 2, I would go USPP. I happened to be in your shoes several years ago, I had put in with 2 department and went through the whole process and then had both dept's want to hire me. Good Luck

USPP will be more active IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
              As stated, I would take what you get first, but if I had to choose between the 2, I would go USPP.
              USPP will be more active IMO.

+ 1
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Park Police w/o question but if the SS calls you should take the job because the USPP may never call. If the SS calls you and you take the job and the USPP calls you two months later while you are in training, you can quit the SS and leave for the PP. People leave federal jobs for other federal jobs all the time. Even while they are in training so don't worry about it. Just don't screw yourself by not taking the first job offered because you have no guarantee a second job offer will be made. I cannot stress this enough. Best of luck wannaleo87. Let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

You will have a security clearance with UD, which can be huge when looking for other jobs.

Comment

UD will give you a huge clearance - if you want to use that for unlimited high-paying 80-110k (although many times boring) jobs in DC. It has a cool name. Thats about it

PP - One can do real police work, be assigned to real special teams. UD can get that training but you will be assigned to a little box your entire life with no human interaction besides your box partner

Take PP first. Dont turn down UD unless you get the job with PP.
                    Last edited by formerusssnusmc; 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM.

Comment

One thing to remember -- You are already qualified to be an SA. It only requires a bachelors degree, 21 years old etc.. Although you may not be the most competitive, you should still apply to ANY Special Agent positions that interest you. The process is very long, and worse comes to worse you get UD or PP first, then another agency calls you fore hire as an SA. (USSS and FBI you do not have enough experience though - DEA,ATF,ICE, USMS you do)

Currently in ATF, DEA, ICE academies (I have friends in all) there are 22 year old college grads. I was down at Quantico this year and saw no one who appeared to be under 30 in the FBI academy.

Even if you are deemed 'non competitive', by the time you can re-apply you should have another police academy under your belt. APPLY NOW - you will thank me later
                      Last edited by formerusssnusmc; 03-31-2010, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Take the first job that calls. If an SA slot is what you want then go for it,apply for all of them and let them tell you your not qualified. You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by formerusssnusmc View Post
                          One thing to remember -- You are already qualified to be an SA. It only requires a bachelors degree, 21 years old etc.. Although you may not be the most competitive, you should still apply to ANY Special Agent positions that interest you. The process is very long, and worse comes to worse you get UD or PP first, then another agency calls you fore hire as an SA. (USSS and FBI you do not have enough experience though - DEA,ATF,ICE, USMS you do)

Currently in ATF, DEA, ICE academies (I have friends in all) there are 22 year old college grads. I was down at Quantico this year and saw no one who appeared to be under 30 in the FBI academy.

Even if you are deemed 'non competitive', by the time you can re-apply you should have another police academy under your belt. APPLY NOW - you will thank me later

Thanks for the advice. I have applied to multiple SA including DEA, ATF and ICE as well as a bunch of smaller agencies with less known three letter acronyms. The only one I have made it any further than the initial application was ICE who I tested for last year. Since then I havent heard anything. I havent heard that I wasnt chosen, but I also havent heard anything to make me thing otherwise. It is very hard for me to subscribe to the "no news is good news" school of thought that seems to be necessary when applying for these jobs.
                          USSS UD

USPP

Comment

great advice in this thread!
                            Applied USSS 1811 0809, TEA 1009, Initial 1109, BQA'd 1209

Applied Federal Agency 0083 0310, Phone 1010

Comment

Remember, with the USPP you have the opportunity to transfer to San Fran or NY in the future if you want a change of scenery. I wanted to jump to USPP but CBP is supposed to give us journey 12's so now it's just too hard to walk away. Still, like everyone is saying, take the job that calls first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7048 users online. 298 members and 6750 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X