Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest opinion- do I have a good chance?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest opinion- do I have a good chance?

I have applied for a position as an entry level public safety dispatcher.
    I was informed that after taking my POST exam, the highest scoring applicants would then be considered, interviewed, and a background check ran.
    The background check includes- psych evaluation, polygraph, employment verification, criminial background check, and credit check.

I got my results on the test- passing T score was a 45, above average a 60.
    I scored a 68.8 and was placed in Band 1 of 13, the highest possible.

I have only had ONE private sector job anywhere near relevant, worked for a Michaels in college and got let go for typical college laziness.
    Ive held my current job for over three years.
    I do not worry at all about references, the psych test, the polygraph, I have a clean background besides getting one moving violation (speeding ticket) in 9 years of driving.

My only concern is the credit check.
    I have NO leins. No bankrupcy, no reposessions.
    I opened a lot of credit cards back when my fiancee was making twice what she makes now, and we used them to handle our affairs. However, she was forced out, I started falling behind. Then her parents faced foreclosure, so I ended up maxing my cards and giving all I had to help them pay their various bills. My credit score plummeted, but I worked hard for the last 2 years paying off debt, closing accounts, and getting back in good standing with all of my debt.
    I am ONLY 25, the credit card problems were a few years ago.

With a GREAT interview, GREAT background otherwise, and an exceptionally high T score, how badly will my credit card problems kill my chances?

Honestly, no one is going to be able to answer your question with perfect accuracy, because we dont know.

BUT, i will say that you do have a chance, everyone makes mistakes and they know that. Usually with 2-3 years in between that helps a lot.

But dont get it twisted, most Fed/LEO jobs do look at credit as a big factor, but honestly to say that you are completely out of the running would be stupid, but no one could also tell you that you are a 100 percent good to go either.

Keep pushing on and do your best, which it looks like you have.

Comment

Originally posted by the1andonlyfinn View Post
      I was informed that after taking my POST exam, the highest scoring applicants would then be considered, interviewed, and a background check ran.
      The background check includes- psych evaluation, polygraph, employment verification, criminial background check, and credit check.

I have only had ONE private sector job anywhere near relevant, worked for a Michaels in college and got let go for typical college laziness.
      I do not worry at all about references, the psych test, the polygraph, I have a clean background besides getting one moving violation (speeding ticket) in 9 years of driving.

I opened a lot of credit cards back when my fiancee was making twice what she makes now, and we used them to handle our affairs. However, she was forced out, I started falling behind. Then her parents faced foreclosure, so I ended up maxing my cards and giving all I had to help them pay their various bills. My credit score plummeted, but I worked hard for the last 2 years paying off debt, closing accounts, and getting back in good standing with all of my debt.

With a GREAT interview, GREAT background otherwise, and an exceptionally high T score, how badly will my credit card problems kill my chances?
      The answer is no 100% of the time you don't try. Like the above poster said, nobody can answer that question except your adjudicator. I've seen it go both ways in my line of work. Give it a shot, and pray your adjudicator is in a good mood when your SSBI comes across their desk.
      Big Brother is watching

Comment

just keep applying. and get a college degree while you're at it.

Comment

If they want to hire you they will.....
          If not they have an out regarding your credit.

Comment

The Good News and The Bad News

First the Good News - Congrats on scoring in Band 1. That in itself is a significant achievement. You should be proud of yourself.

Now the bad news.

Most civil service agencies in California hire based on the order of your score. Highest score gets picked first, next highest score gets picked second, etc. They also have something called the Rule of Three. It allows an agency to fill a vacancy from anyone in the top three scores (1, 2 or 3) Theoretically, one of the top three scorers gets the first vacancy, Whoever was not selected would go back on the list and be considered as part of the top three scores for the next vacancy. They work their way down from there. Under normal circumstances, being at the top of the list (#1) would be great.

However, a number of agencies started gaming the system. Instead of putting you on a list according to your individual score, they started banding. For example, anyone with a score from 94 to 100 might be in Band 1, 93 to 88 in Band 2, 87 to 83 in Band 3, 82 to 77 in Band 4 and 77 to 70 in Band 5. Depending on the number of people who pass the test, you may have 10 or more people in each band. So, what does this mean to you?

Under the Rule of Three, this gives them the ability to select anyone from the top three bands. Instead of choosing between three people to fill a vacancy based on their individual scores, they now have a choice of 30 or more people based on their band positions. Your odds of being picked have just plummeted. Because the department now has such a tremendous selection latitude, it is possible for someone with a much lower score than you to be hired instead, because they know someone on the department and you don't.

I don't mean to discourage you, but as someone who was involved in testing and hiring for many years I can tell you that banding is a code word. It means "We are just going through the motions to look fair and impartial. In the end, we will hire whoever pleases us, irrespective of competitive testing results."

At this point I would suggest that your placement in Band 1 will only get you 50% of the way there. Later on you may be called in for a Chief's interview where additional decisions will be made regarding whether to hire you or put you back on the list and pick someone else. Make you best impression in that interview, because it will count considerably.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by the1andonlyfinn View Post

You got in over your head and you got yourself out of it. You learned a valuable lesson, I hope, and if your credit is brought up during the interview you can convey that. I do not see your credit being an issue since you made good on your debts. But in this brutal economy, employers have a ton of applicants to choose from so it might hurt you. No one can really say for sure except those doing the hiring so just give it your best shot. Best of luck to you.
              Last edited by SHU; 03-22-2010, 06:58 PM. Reason: k

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12007 users online. 479 members and 11528 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X