300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ me, or just make things tuff.

Just curious, I'm getting ready to apply for academy, I have my A.S in Cj. and unfortunately, when I first got my license I was a speed demon. I have five tickets in the last five years; 3 drop off this year. Was just curious if you think this will have a huge impact on getting hired or not. I know there is a lot of competition, so I am really working on improving my chances with more education and language. Thanks for your input.
    C.O.P is key.

It's not just competition, it's the fact that you're applying for a job that requires you to drive a car with a demonstrated past (recent past as well) of poor driving. Five tickets in the last five years is a pretty big liability for a department to accept. Look on the Officer Down Memorial and you'll see that most cops killed in the line of duty are due to traffic fatalities. It's an all too common occurence, due in large part by the sheer amount of time a patrol officer spends in their car.

That's not to say that you shouldn't apply and give it your best shot, but if you get turned down, give it a few more years with established responsible driving on your record and you'll have a better shot.
    sigpic

Comment

Agree with Kimble in all aspects.
      I was hired by the USSS with 2-3 Seatbelt violations and 1-2 recent (at the time) speeding tickets. I did get questioned heavily about it, and asked if I had a problem operating a vehicle. Needless to say I have not received one since college and did not have any accidents while driving lead/tail car for motorcades. If you ever speed again, keep it under 9 over at least

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11519 users online. 443 members and 11076 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X