Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    No one is saying don't get a CJ degree, however what confuses me is your statement "If he wants to be a typical law enforcement officer, a CJ degree is good. What does this mean? I mentioned getting a degree in another field if he can't get hired in Law Enforcement and or if he gets injured, that would benefit him, as well as any other person looking to get a degree. You can pin point each degree that specific federal agencies look for, however, these days experience as a LEO is preferred over a CJ degree with ATF, DEA, etc and ICE, a degree is not required. Not sure where you are obtaining your information.

What area of studies do you have since you seem to be a FLEO?

Leave a comment:

• Future Fed
    replied
    Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
    With DEA, ATF, FBI, and NCIS, a degree in CJ is the most preferred degree.
    Being that I am a DEA employee, I can attest that the DEA is looking for Accounting Degrees to trace the assets of Individuals involved in Drug Trafficking. There is a major flow of cash exchanging hands in the drug trade.

Also for The FBI: If you ever saw the announcement for SA-EX, which allows individuals to enter at a GS-10 scale if they can offer a skill or expertise that can consider them highly qualified for the position. It does not state a CJ Degree, but it does state LE experience, so if you get a CJ degree than venture off to LE job (be local, state or FED) more power to you.

Also, like stated above me, you will learn all the law enforcement tactics and techniques needed to be successful in the Academy of the path you want to follow. In my opinion just having a CJ degree you have nothing else to offer rather than coming in with any type of specialty degree.

Leave a comment:

• manstown
    replied
    Sorry jlac,

I have to agree with everyone voting against the CJ degree. I can tell you now that a degree in accounting, CS, IT, finance, political science and a few others are going to be better looking to agencies. FBI will not look any higher on a person with a CJ degree opposed to an accounting degree. In fact it would be the opposite with the FBI. The point everyone is making is valid. Get a CJ degree and you are limiting your opportunities if a person doesn't get picked up for an LE job. Any of these other degrees will leave doors open for other jobs, where CJ won't make you look anymore valuable. All the points you say you learn in a CJ program will be taught at the academy the way they want it done. Have a degree in accounting or computers....and you are more valuable to them than most think.

I have my CJ degree. But I received that after I was in LE.

Leave a comment:

• jlac20
    replied
    Everyone keeps telling this young man not to get a CJ degree but that is bad advice. If he wants to be a typical law enforcement officer, a CJ degree is good. If you want to be a law enforcement officer with the IRS, an accounting degree is good. With DEA, ATF, FBI, and NCIS, a degree in CJ is the most preferred degree. With the FBI, thats a toss up to be honest because of the different paths they have for special agents. But in most agencies, a IT degree may get you hired in that agency, but if you come in as an IT Tech, you're not technically law enforcement covered unless its with the BOP I think. I think the BOP is the only law enforcement agency where all their employees has law enforcement credentials. A IT tech with SS, ICE, ATF, DEA, FBI, is just that, an IT tech. The degree you pick if you want to pursue your dream of law enforcement is a degree in criminal justice. Its not true that this degree limits what you can do because this is one of the broadest degrees out there. There are many areas you can branch out to with a degree in criminal justice. The criminal justice degree does you no good if you trying to work for the IRS, EPA, and agencies that specialize in things like money, biology, etc.

Bump the major of degree, the best advice I seen was get your degree while you're in. Use the tuition assistance that pays 100% of your tuition, and once you get out, use the GI BILL for graduate school. You can also start grad school while you're still in the Navy if you have enough time. Any path you take with any degree is a start, just major in something you have an interest in so you can get good grades. Remember Superior Academic Achievement is highly looked upon if you coming over to the federal side of law enforcement.
    Last edited by jlac20; 03-18-2010, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• usmcvet
    replied
    Degrees

My opinion is that a CJ degree limits your options, like somebody here said. Put yourself in the hiring panel's shoes. You have one spot for your department/agency, would you hire somebody with a CJ degree or somebody with an Accounting degree? Would you hire somebody with a CJ degree before somebody with an IT degree?

Especially if your ultimate goal is Detective/Criminal Investigator. Remember, they will teach you most of what you need to know about CJ in the academy. Also, you have four years left in the military. Don't wait to get out to get your degree. Start now and use military tuition assistance.

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    You haven't even gone to medical yet and you know you need surgery? Explain? One thing with the military is, they can and sometime do discharge (medically) for these types of conditions, especially if this occurred while in the service and if you can no longer perform your job and or physical activities. Which you don't know if you can or can't do, since you have not gone to medical yet. So get that out of the way, then look at college while in the miltary. Stay away from CJ, unless you plan on working as a Probation officer or Loss Prevention when you get out, if LE isn't for you? Get a degree that will be a back-up plan, if you can't get hired a a Police officer.

Leave a comment:

• xynder
    replied
    You can get almost anything past a medical exam if your doctors are willing to honestly write up that you're doing fine and it won't hurt your job. Why would GOV doctors disagree with that? Additionally, it starts stepping on ADA territory, I think, especially when your own docs are attesting that it won't be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• jlac20
    replied
    It may be just me, but if you want your degree in CJ, that is what you should do. If CJ is your interest, go get your degree in it. Dont get a degree in something thats not your passion because your grades will not be as good. I have a BS in CJ, and I finished top of my class because thats my passion. Im now working on my Masters and will be done in August, and I currently have a 4.0. When it comes to law enforcement, a CJ degree is the most preferred degree, regardless of what some of the posters on this board states. If you're going into a support position such as forensics (some are sworn leo), IT, or anything like that, ok another degree may be desired. When it comes to str8 kick *** field operations, CJ degree is the best. When you applying for Special Agent positions with like DEA, ATF, ICE, and in some fields of the FBI, the CJ degree is the best because with that degree, you have some knowledge of investigations, crime scenes, and criminal procedure. Take it for what its worth, but I would get my degree in CJ if im you. Not to knock the other degrees, but when it comes to law enforcement specifically, like I said as in doing investigations, get the CJ degree. The alternative degrees only come into play when you trying to come over to federal. If you going local PD in which I think you said you were, CJ degree is your best degree to get.

Leave a comment:

• manstown
    replied
    My advice is to keep every bit of documentation from diagnosis to application. That way if they ask about it or want a follow up from a doc, you can have everything ready. They ask the question because they want to make sure the injury won't hinder your job performance. You'll probably get into a foot chase or two as a cop......they want to make sure you don't have a bumb wheel that could get you, or your partners, hurt. If you fall out during the chase, that's one less person to help out with the dirtbag when they're caught.

Leave a comment:

• Roninjin
    replied
    yeah.. i agree with the top post....a degree in CJ is just to general...luckly i manage to change my concentration to Human Services after i got my associates...with that i was able to move around a bit...but as far as your knee goes..i don't see a problem with it

Leave a comment:

• NavyMan
    replied
    Thanks for the quick replies! I have no doubt that I will be able to pass the physical requirements, as I have hung strong in the military with this knee problem. I know its 4 years down the road, but I've seen plenty of police apps that ask about prior surgeries and such, and I dont want a blemish on my application. Obviously, I wouldnt lie about it, but it does concern me as to whether it will affect the outcome during the application process. Good idea as well about getting a degree in something alternative. I'll take that and run with it As for the surgery, it is nothing disabling, as like I said, I'll still be in the Military and fit to serve. The surgery is to repair ligaments in my knee that may be torn or dislocated. (not for sure yet since I havent gone to medical, all I know is I have tissues that pop out from under my knee cap and I can push them back in haha) So with that advice, I will of course stay out of trouble, and get an honorable discharge from the Navy, and hopefully I can make my dream come true Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• 179_LPS
    replied
    Well if you're not going to be applying for another 4 years, I don't see why having knee surgery now would have any impact on you getting hired, unless it's some kind of surgery that will lead to permanent disability. If it's just routine surgery to correct a tear or something I think you'll be fine, assuming you can pass the physical ability tests and medical exams. I wouldn't worry about it, just focus on keeping the rest of your background clean, stay out of trouble.

Also just a bit of advice for you, if you want it: Don't get your degree in CJ (my opinion, obviously). I would get something else, like computer science or business or anything that interests you. A CJ degree pigeonholes your opportunities and if for some reason law enforcement doesn't work out for you, it's kind of a waste. However you can still become a LEO with any other degree. Why do I say this? I have my BA in CJ and it's one of my biggest regrets in life that I didn't get my degree in something else. I had a few officers tell me that about halfway through college and wished I had heeded their advice when I still had the chance.

Of course if you're really passionate about a CJ degree then go for it, but in my experience another degree will leave you better prepared for whatever life may bring.

Anyways good luck!
    Last edited by 179_LPS; 03-18-2010, 02:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Indy44
    replied
    Thanks for your service to our country.

So long as you can meet the entrance requirements, I don't see a problem. What kind of surgery are you having?

Leave a comment:

• NavyMan
    started a topic Do I Have A Chance?

Do I Have A Chance?

Hi everyone,

I know I'm planning way in advance but this question has been burning in my mind for a while now...I'm currently serving in the Navy, and I have 4 yrs left out of a 5 yr contract. I joined to use the GI Bill to get a degree in Criminal Justice and to serve my Country. After I get my degree in CJ my dream is to become a LEO. My question is, I am going to have to have knee surgery while in the Navy, i.e, next month, and was wondering if this would DQ me from getting hired onto a Police Dept. If the Navy isnt going to discharge me for it, I see no reason why a Police Dept. wouldnt hire me. Any input? Thank you!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9750 users online. 372 members and 9378 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X