Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEAL6770
    replied
    I have been a city LEO for 4.5 years and am in the USMS process for Region 8. I had both my ACLs reconstructed. One in 2001 and the other in 2005. All I needed was a checkup from an orthopedist that stated I could pass training and on the job physical requirements, like manstown stated.

No background investigator has ever asked me about surgeries, and if I'm not mistaken, in some states it's not legal. The medical stuff has to be hashed out with the medical people.

Leave a comment:

• Armed Greeter
    replied
    Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
    noooooooo brother...lol, im reading your post.
    You said the background investigator will look at surgeries just as hard as criminal acts. Im telling you a background investigator has nothing to do with your medical. The only people that will be involved in your medical history is medical personnel. I have had 4 background investigations done on me, and currently the FBI and SS are doing one on me, and not once did a background investigator ask about my medical history
    They don't need to ask. You sign a waiver releasing your medical history. If you had no issues, they have no reason to ask. My background was delayed several months because of a torn labrum (shoulder) I had surgery on several years before. My friend was on a medical retirement from a fire department from a messed up hand, which slowed him down. A former chief of mine's son made the mistake of saying that his back hurts sometimes and he was sent into get another exam.

Leave a comment:

• jlac20
    replied
    Originally posted by formerusssnusmc View Post
    I say no for CJ degree. That's what everyone does. I have that degree and wished I had something else. I was interested in CJ in college and enjoyed all CJ classes, however, I've never heard of it being a good degree choice unless you want local PD. FBI wants Accounting. Look at their requirements... They ask if you have experience in Accounting, counterterrorism, IT, Arabic etc... They do not care for CJ degrees. I would also recommend any business degree (I had several business classes) because it will prepare you for the rest of your life. Those few classes were life-changing for me. I set up a retirement, a roth IRA, I invest in stocks, I know how to get good credit etc etc.. The list goes on.
    CJ gave me the piece of paper I needed to be hired by agencies, but a business degree will give you that piece of paper AND set you up for the rest of your life in reference to saving money, buying a house, setting up retirement, setting up kids college funds etc..

I will agree with JLAC regarding grades. CJ is much easier (based on interest and topics) when compared to business classes. If school is easy, do business. If you have trouble in school do CJ. Remember, most agencies will require you to get a 3.0 if you want a position. You may be unfit or not competitive without that 3.0 GPA.

Take all those things into account when deciding, and good luck. You are already on the right track - starting 4 years early..

Thanks for your service, and you will be fine with the surgery (unless you cant run afterwards, or are permanently disabled from it.) I had shoudler surgery. I tore off all ligaments during a rugby game and made a full recovery. I was cleared by the Marines, then the Secret Service and all other agencies medicals so far with no problems. (2001 surgery)
    Think about all the many areas one could have a concentration in while majoring in criminal justice. Depending on the criminal justice program at your school, there is corrections, juvenile justice, law enforcement, homeland security, terrorism, criminal law, and im sure other concentrations

Leave a comment:

• jlac20
    replied
    Originally posted by Armed Greeter View Post
    I can only speak from the federal side of the hiring processes, but I can imagine local hiring practices have to be similiar....

Any major surgery that you will have will be an issue in your background. Period. Don't be nervous or fail to disclose any past medical surgeries. Just be aware that it will be looked at under a microscope. Background investigators will look at surgeries just as closely as they will misdemeanors. The last thing a BI wants to do is clear you and 6 months later you are sucking the government for a workmans comp claim or early medical retirement. Try to be proactive and get your medical notes clearing you for work before they ask for them. This can save you lots of time. Minor questions regarding your medical history can set your background investigation back several months.

On the flip side of the coin, don't disclose unnecessary info regarding your health such as saying "sometimes my back hurts". Everybody's back hurts on occasion. A simple admission like that will often make the BI send you to another medical. It sounds ridiculous, but it does happen.
    Originally posted by Armed Greeter View Post
    Read the post brother........

Nobody claimed the medical exam has anything to do with your background investigation. Past medical issues certainly reflect in your background as the BIs will require documentation and certifications stating that you are or to perform the job.
    noooooooo brother...lol, im reading your post.
    You said the background investigator will look at surgeries just as hard as criminal acts. Im telling you a background investigator has nothing to do with your medical. The only people that will be involved in your medical history is medical personnel. I have had 4 background investigations done on me, and currently the FBI and SS are doing one on me, and not once did a background investigator ask about my medical history

Leave a comment:

• jlac20
    replied
    Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Don't you work for the BOP?
    Yea I currently work for the bop, and as I just checked, the only individuals without law enforcement credentials are PHS staff

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    But in most agencies, a IT degree may get you hired in that agency, but if you come in as an IT Tech, you're not technically law enforcement covered unless its with the BOP I think. I think the BOP is the only law enforcement agency where all their employees has law enforcement credentials. A IT tech with SS, ICE, ATF, DEA, FBI, is just that, an IT tech.
    Don't you work for the BOP?

Leave a comment:

• Armed Greeter
    replied
    The BI hasn nothing to do with your medical. Now back to this degree, someone asked what do I mean by a typical LEO. When I say typical, im talking local PD, or something like that. In agencies such as federal agencies, we all have specialties in what we do. Hell you can get a degree in culinary arts and stand out. If you have a degree in accounting, you will stand out to the IRS, more than any other agency. If you have a degree in probably terrorism, which is a sub component of a criminal justice degree you will stand out in agencies such as the FBI. When people hear a degree in criminal justice, thats all they hear. There are many areas in which a person can specialize in. I got my criminal justice degree and I specialize in criminal law, homeland security, and terrorism. Also with my degree in criminal justice, im qualified to be a social worker, counselor, and many other things outside of just law enforcement. A degree in accounting doesnt qualify one for things like that, only accounting. All degrees are good, I just say major in something you have a passion for, in which in the OP case is law enforcement. A degree in psychology to me, is the best degree for anyone on law enforcement to have, but can many of you imagine being in school for psychology. The few classes I took bored me, so there is noway I could had graduated with honors with a major I wasnt interested in
    Read the post brother........

Nobody claimed the medical exam has anything to do with your background investigation. Past medical issues certainly reflect in your background as the BIs will require documentation and certifications stating that you are or to perform the job.

Leave a comment:

• formerusssnusmc
    replied
    I say no for CJ degree. That's what everyone does. I have that degree and wished I had something else. I was interested in CJ in college and enjoyed all CJ classes, however, I've never heard of it being a good degree choice unless you want local PD. FBI wants Accounting. Look at their requirements... They ask if you have experience in Accounting, counterterrorism, IT, Arabic etc... They do not care for CJ degrees. I would also recommend any business degree (I had several business classes) because it will prepare you for the rest of your life. Those few classes were life-changing for me. I set up a retirement, a roth IRA, I invest in stocks, I know how to get good credit etc etc.. The list goes on.
    CJ gave me the piece of paper I needed to be hired by agencies, but a business degree will give you that piece of paper AND set you up for the rest of your life in reference to saving money, buying a house, setting up retirement, setting up kids college funds etc..

I will agree with JLAC regarding grades. CJ is much easier (based on interest and topics) when compared to business classes. If school is easy, do business. If you have trouble in school do CJ. Remember, most agencies will require you to get a 3.0 if you want a position. You may be unfit or not competitive without that 3.0 GPA.

Take all those things into account when deciding, and good luck. You are already on the right track - starting 4 years early..

Thanks for your service, and you will be fine with the surgery (unless you cant run afterwards, or are permanently disabled from it.) I had shoudler surgery. I tore off all ligaments during a rugby game and made a full recovery. I was cleared by the Marines, then the Secret Service and all other agencies medicals so far with no problems. (2001 surgery)

Leave a comment:

• jlac20
    replied
    The BI hasn nothing to do with your medical. Now back to this degree, someone asked what do I mean by a typical LEO. When I say typical, im talking local PD, or something like that. In agencies such as federal agencies, we all have specialties in what we do. Hell you can get a degree in culinary arts and stand out. If you have a degree in accounting, you will stand out to the IRS, more than any other agency. If you have a degree in probably terrorism, which is a sub component of a criminal justice degree you will stand out in agencies such as the FBI. When people hear a degree in criminal justice, thats all they hear. There are many areas in which a person can specialize in. I got my criminal justice degree and I specialize in criminal law, homeland security, and terrorism. Also with my degree in criminal justice, im qualified to be a social worker, counselor, and many other things outside of just law enforcement. A degree in accounting doesnt qualify one for things like that, only accounting. All degrees are good, I just say major in something you have a passion for, in which in the OP case is law enforcement. A degree in psychology to me, is the best degree for anyone on law enforcement to have, but can many of you imagine being in school for psychology. The few classes I took bored me, so there is noway I could had graduated with honors with a major I wasnt interested in

Leave a comment:

• manstown
    replied
    I will agree that it will slow you down. I was just a little more inclined to disagree with the comparison of a crime to a med issue. But I will agree with it slowing you down a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Armed Greeter
    replied
    Originally posted by manstown View Post
    I've had surgery before I was hired on with any of my jobs. Never once was I questioned about it during my BI. In fact the biggest issue I ran into, which wasn't that big at all, was the speeding ticket I had from when I was 17.

In the end minor surgery isn't going to hinder you as long as it is well documented and a doc can sign off on it saying you can perform the duties of the job.
    I agree, minor surgeries shouldn't matter too much. It all depends on who does your background, so the conversation could go in a circle. It's usually going to slow you down if you've had issues with your back or knees. That being said, CBP hired (and graduated) a dude with only one hand. So like I said, it's all subjective. I was just trying to prepare this kid for a likely worse-case scenario.

Leave a comment:

• manstown
    replied
    I've had surgery before I was hired on with any of my jobs. Never once was I questioned about it during my BI. In fact the biggest issue I ran into, which wasn't that big at all, was the speeding ticket I had from when I was 17.

In the end minor surgery isn't going to hinder you as long as it is well documented and a doc can sign off on it saying you can perform the duties of the job.

Leave a comment:

• Armed Greeter
    replied
    Originally posted by manstown View Post
    "Background investigators will look at surgeries just as closely as they will misdemeanors."

Come on now! Do you really believe this to be true?
    Yes.

I've experienced it first hand (not the misdemeanors, but the surgeries). I also have several close friends that have had major issues with seemingly minor surgeries. They were all hired, but it is always an issue on a background investigation. I worked with several people who had misdemeanors (DUIs, traffic, etc.) and they all told me that it wasn't too big of an issue with their backgrounds as long as there is enough time passed from the time of the incident.

Leave a comment:

• manstown
    replied
    "Background investigators will look at surgeries just as closely as they will misdemeanors."

Come on now! Do you really believe this to be true?

Leave a comment:

• Armed Greeter
    replied
    I can only speak from the federal side of the hiring processes, but I can imagine local hiring practices have to be similiar....

Any major surgery that you will have will be an issue in your background. Period. Don't be nervous or fail to disclose any past medical surgeries. Just be aware that it will be looked at under a microscope. Background investigators will look at surgeries just as closely as they will misdemeanors. The last thing a BI wants to do is clear you and 6 months later you are sucking the government for a workmans comp claim or early medical retirement. Try to be proactive and get your medical notes clearing you for work before they ask for them. This can save you lots of time. Minor questions regarding your medical history can set your background investigation back several months.

On the flip side of the coin, don't disclose unnecessary info regarding your health such as saying "sometimes my back hurts". Everybody's back hurts on occasion. A simple admission like that will often make the BI send you to another medical. It sounds ridiculous, but it does happen.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9086 users online. 253 members and 8833 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X