300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force OSI

Are there any civilian OSI 1811 on this board? If so, I would be interested in hearing from you. Work, rotations, support, etc... I've heard mixed. Some say OSI is anti LE of sorts and their SA are doing much compared to similiar NCIS SA.

Some say OSI is anti LE of sorts and their SA are doing much compared to similiar NCIS SA.
    What?

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Maybe rephrase it, not meant as ding. The several I spoke with stated things like OSI management doesn't want them doing traditional LE per se, but force protection. Very little work with AUSA unless on procurement fraud cases.

Off duty carry frowned upon, and if involved in an incident they felt unsure whether OSI would back them. Also treated like military vs. civilian LEO. They did mention outstanding training but both left to other 1811 agencies to do more traditional LE. I heard many went to NCIS b/c it was civilian run.

Comment

Originally posted by 180121811 View Post
        Some say OSI is anti LE of sorts and their SA are doing much compared to similiar NCIS SA.
        OSI IS a law enforcement agency, how you figure (or your source known only as "some") they're anti-LE?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
          OSI IS a law enforcement agency, how you figure (or your source known only as "some") they're anti-LE?
          My only thought would be since they do have a dual mission, some people may think that a majority of the time they my not be doing criminal investigations compared to sy NCIS or CID...
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
            My only thought would be since they do have a dual mission, some people may think that a majority of the time they my not be doing criminal investigations compared to sy NCIS or CID...
            Dual mission in what sense? While NCIS does have a civilian director and primarily civilian agent corps, they do the same missions as OSI (i.e. criminal investigations, counterintel/counterterrorism, force protection, etc.). I still don't see how OSI is "anti-LE" when NCIS and CID are not.
            sigpic

Comment

Dual mission in what sense? While NCIS does have a civilian director and primarily civilian agent corps, they do the same missions as OSI (i.e. criminal investigations, counterintel/counterterrorism, force protection, etc.). I still don't see how OSI is "anti-LE" when NCIS and CID are not.
              From the vibe I was getting from the OP, Iam assuming that he meant how much more counter-intelligence he would do if hired compared to say LE investigations.
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Are there any civilian OSI 1811 on this board? If so, I would be interested in hearing from you. Work, rotations, support, etc... I've heard mixed. Some say OSI is anti LE of sorts and their SA are doing much compared to similiar NCIS SA.
                ummm....I don't suppose you have ever read their products (you might not be able to)? Definately law enforcement.

BL is a good daily summary.
                Big Brother is watching

Comment

Not meant as insult, it was an inquiry to get other OSI Civilian SA opinions, to see if it was only the opinion of the three I've spoken to.

Comment

My comment is directed at civilian LE, not military SA who opinions would differ. If you have a Military commander who rather it not be so LE oriented it would happen. I would assume army cid to be the same minus the MPFU which is ALL civilian. CID is mainly military as is OSI. You really can't compare military SA vs. civilian SA as they are different.

If I remember right military SA can't arrest civilians b/c of posse commitatus, while teh civilians SA can. I'm not talking detaining, or military apprehend, but an actual arrest and apprearance in Fed. District Court. I don't know of a military SA doing such.

Not meant as a slight to military SA who do a great job. I'm former military LE and respect the profession and would have the job if not for the experiences I gained from the military.

Comment

My comment is directed at civilian LE, not military SA who opinions would differ. If you have a Military commander who rather it not be so LE oriented it would happen. I would assume army cid to be the same minus the MPFU which is ALL civilian. CID is mainly military as is OSI. You really can't compare military SA vs. civilian SA as they are different.

If I remember right military SA can't arrest civilians b/c of posse commitatus, while teh civilians SA can. I'm not talking detaining, or military apprehend, but an actual arrest and apprearance in Fed. District Court. I don't know of a military SA doing such.

Not meant as a slight to military SA who do a great job. I'm former military LE and respect the profession and would have the job if not for the experiences I gained from the military.

Military SA's do not "arrest" per se, the proper term utilized by the Military is apprehend...which is defined by UCMJ and agency policy as opposed to statutory authority. While in the US, military SA's have extensive authorities on military installations however they lose most of it once they step off the base. Normally the office will have regular agreements with federal, state, and local LE to coordinate off post arrests and prosecutions for other than UCMJ/Court Martial circumstances. 1811 Agents may however make arrests on and off post pursuant to their agency policy and statutory authority.
                      You will hear various answers to this question, but this is the straightest answer you will find.

Hope this helps....no slight intended towards military SAs....the issue is as presented before...Posse Comitatus. The Creds and the duties are the same
                      DHS-ICE-1811

Comment

I'm a current Civ OSI Agent.

Enjoy my job. I do work primarly CI/CT, but have the chance to do all aspects of our mission.

Off duty carry not frowned upon...remember, vet your sources.
                        "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                        German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

Originally posted by FormerUSAF View Post
                          I'm a current Civ OSI Agent.

Enjoy my job. I do work primarly CI/CT, but have the chance to do all aspects of our mission.

Off duty carry not frowned upon...remember, vet your sources.
                          Hey FormerUSAF,
                          I work in the armory and deal with some OSI Agents dropping there weapon off and stuff. The ones I see never want to carry OD, or at least it seems that way. How many Agents do you really think carry off duty?
                          amson

Comment

I can't begin to answer that question. I carry every day at work, anytime in the building or doing anything duty related. I do not always carry off duty.

Most OSI agents do not come from LE background or tactical background............(just a thought)

For me I need the time not to be "SA" XXXX. I just want to be me, I know I have qualified LEO's in whatever respective city I am in. There are times when I do carry, because I don't want to be in a situation and I knew I could have helped or prevented something from happening. I realized that I am only one man (not JACK BAUER).
                            Last edited by FormerUSAF; 03-21-2010, 03:20 PM.
                            "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                            German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

New Announcement

If you are a current FLEO who is a 13, there are two announcement out right now for AFOSI Criminal Investigator. Follow this link: http://www.osi.andrews.af.mil/questi...cies/index.asp

Good Luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9606 users online. 455 members and 9151 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X