300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bureau of Indian Affairs - 0083 Applicant info, timelines, etc

I have seen 3 or 4 folks inquiring about the 0083 process, academy, etc. in a few unrelated threads, and wanted to start a new thread dedicated to our collective experiences.

For me:

Applied December 2nd, Announcement closed on 31 December. This was an announcement identical to the announcement currently open. 75 positions, huge incentive bonuses, etc.

Contacted by HR on 26 January, accepted a position in Fort Yates, ND at the Standing Rock Reservation. HR notified me that the entire process should take between 6 and 8 weeks.

Package arrived on 16 February including the following forms which had to be filled out and sent back BEFORE 26 February:

SF-86 - Start gathering info now, if you've never filled one out. You will need the following working back 10 years (BIA does an SSBI), every employer, residence (with a person who knew you up to 3 years ago), all credit accounts good/bad/indifferent, any clearances previous or current, all immediate family members living or dead, etc....you get the picture. You can find the form at www.opm.gov and fill it out online and print it. Your wrist will thank you.

OF 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment. This is an easy form to complete.

OPM Physical Examination form - This must be completed by a practitioner with a reccomendation for hire/no hire. The form will be looked over by the BIA medical officers, and approved or denied.

GSA Driver's License form - Pretty basic information.

Credit Bureau release - I think there were 3 of these, all different, for whatever reason.

Domestic Violence certification - Certifies that you have never been convicted of a crime of domestic violence.

Release of Information forms - 1 or 2 of these.

Signed them all and filled out the SF-86, had the package back within 1 day. Now the waiting begins.

My understanding is that selectee's will be processed for a drug test just prior to being given a report date. Once the SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation), Medical and Drug test clear, HR will contact you and begin the transition process.

Good luck with this for everyone!

I'll update as I get more information.
    Discombobulatory Accountable Volunteerism.

I have put in for this postion as well. Currently I am an IEA with hopes of taking a position with the BIA. I recently contacted them and asked a few questions regarding locations that are in need, to which they informed me they will not release any info till they make their selections.

Comment

They were very speedy about selecting me. 27 days from the closing of the announcement. That's faster than any fed job I've applied for.

Comment

Last edited by Plainsmen; 12-07-2010, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plainsmen View Post
          Four reservations have been placed in "high priority" status and Ft. Yates is one of them.

We're talking at least 6 months to get into the position...

Things changed in upper management last year and things are moving quite a a bit faster now.
          All of that makes sense. I have read about Ft. Yates and some of the tribulations that they have experienced.

I'm hoping that the process has become streamlined enough that I won't be waiting around for a final offer for months to come. While my current clearance isn't on par with an SSBI, the HR contact told me that they are experiencing a faster matriculation among current federal employees with active security clearances.

We'll see. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel#7630 View Post
            I have put in for this postion as well. Currently I am an IEA with hopes of taking a position with the BIA. I recently contacted them and asked a few questions regarding locations that are in need, to which they informed me they will not release any info till they make their selections.
            No offense, but why would you leave an IEA job with AUO, etc for a 0083 job with no chance of knowing where they would place you?
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

anyone have any experience with BIA officers? Anyone an actual BIA officer that can offer some insight into the job? Thanks all.

Comment

When I was in K-9 School, about 8 of there officers came through, nice people, and had some nice rides..
                "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer07 View Post
                  anyone have any experience with BIA officers? Anyone an actual BIA officer that can offer some insight into the job? Thanks all.
                  I have met a few up here, although our reservations are going back to self-supported law enforcement.

This is a real police officer position, albeit more complex due to tribal politics. As a BIA Officer you will respond to the entire gamut of calls for service. This is one of the only uniformed LE positions in the federal government which can claim that.

Anyone who lives near, or has spent any time on a reservation knows that it can be a challenging place, but I think that for anyone looking at FED LE, this should be a definite consideration.

Comment

usmcgunnerm4,

First off, congrats on getting hired! I appreciate you posting information on here, it's helpful when I just applied to the recent announcement.

Few questions, how long did it take from the time you accepted the position until you reported to FLETC? Did the announcement hold up to the advertised moving expenses and possible 25% incentive bonus? Did you get to negotiate your reservation location, or was it a take it or leave it deal? And finally, if I were to get accepted what GL level do you think they would offer me based on navy veteran, with military law enforcement exp, and an associates degree?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcgunnerm4 View Post
                      This is one of the only uniformed LE positions in the federal government which can claim that.
                      US Park Police.....and most Military Base Police run the gamut when it comes to calls for service as well.....

Comment

Last edited by Plainsmen; 12-07-2010, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bimba03 View Post
                          usmcgunnerm4,

First off, congrats on getting hired! I appreciate you posting information on here, it's helpful when I just applied to the recent announcement.

Few questions, how long did it take from the time you accepted the position until you reported to FLETC? Did the announcement hold up to the advertised moving expenses and possible 25% incentive bonus? Did you get to negotiate your reservation location, or was it a take it or leave it deal? And finally, if I were to get accepted what GL level do you think they would offer me based on navy veteran, with military law enforcement exp, and an associates degree?

Thanks again for your help.
                          Hi there,

Thanks. I should clarify that I am still waiting for the final offer of employment, but I am confident that there are no B.I. issues or otherwise, since I am a current 0083, and have no issues in that regard.

As far as the announcement, I have been promised 10% salary incentive, Student Loan Repayment program (10K per year) and all moving expenses paid.

With your experience, I would venture to say that you will be hired as a GL-5. I was hired as a GL-7 after having been a 0083 for 3 years, with a Bachelor of Science degree.
                          Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                          US Park Police.....and most Military Base Police run the gamut when it comes to calls for service as well.....
                          I know, that's why I said, "one of". Base police around here spend about 60% of their time on the gate, 20% at the desk, and 20% on patrol. I sure hope it's different in other places.

Originally posted by Plainsmen View Post
                          US Park Police and Military Base Police will be absolutely NOTHING like working patrol in Indian Country. The shear amount of violent and hands on calls aren't even remotely close.

Working in Indian Country, especially up north, every man, woman, and child will fight you. The hours will be very long and there are many many times you are a solo officer on the scene of a domestic or fight in progress. I'm talking solo by a HALF AN HOUR away.... not just the 1st to respond to the call.

Being in the BIA is more like being in an inner city police department with a nice remote country feel. The 1811's are NOT just kids out of college with degrees. Most of the 1811's are guys who have worked their way up from the road with 10+ years experience and they act more as generalist detectives in a large metropolitan agency. You'll investigate homicides, sex assaults, child sex assaults, serious bodily injuries as a norm. Other than the FBI in Indian Country or some sort of specialized unit I don't know any other Federal Agency where you'll get that experience.
                          +1. Our BIA officers (before the change over) at the Spokane IR were inundated with calls, and spent a lot of hours on O/T.

I have heard of some places where in progress HOT calls go unanswered for hours or even days because no one is available.

At Ft. Yates, the reservation is 3500 square miles, and at full staffing, there are only 25 patrol officers. That's roughly the size of Connecticut, with a crime rate that was at one time 6-8 times the national average.

Comment

whats the off duty carry situation with BIA? Trying to get this thread back on topic...

Comment

Back on topic :-)

Received from HR this morning after I returned a form that had been left out of my packet. I asked if there were any delays in the process, and what the timeline looked like.

Good morning,

No delays in the process. You’re packet has been sent to security for processing. We are probably looking at 4-6 weeks until we receive a favorable screening. Should we receive notice sooner, REDACTED or I will be contacting you. Thanks for the quick response in getting the form completed and returned. Have a great day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10054 users online. 381 members and 9673 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X