Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shining Star is the old hiring process for military. They haven't had one of those test since 05 or 06. I can't remember when it was but I took the test. If people think this process takes long, after I took that test for Shining Star it took about 8 months before I even received my results and I scored a 95. Never heard anything else. Don't think they'll do another Shining Star since FCIP includes military.

Comment

Any clue when the last academy for this year will be? I remember you talking about three classes will be cut awhile back.
      "In valor there is hope"

Comment

There has been no official cuts of any class. There are 2 scheduled for April and 1 every month through September.But if you do the math ( 7 classes X 48 students = 336) The 2010 Position Allocation chart lists a total of 343 slots- these include classes that have already started.

Now as I've said before- this allocation is 70% of budgeted slots. I am assuming (and you know what they say about assuming) that they will be evaluating their needs as I write and filling those slots with the remaining 30%.

So if your just waiting for the call- hang in there and stay in shape.

Comment

I'm with DUSM on this one. I haven't heard of classes getting cut anymore. I hope they don't because I know bodies are needed in some areas. Not sure of all, but I do know that LA, DC, Philly, and Miami need bodies. If you're in those regions prepare for those places. Anything else would be good.

I know the process may seem long. But most can be called lucky for already being down there. When I first applied I heard that it could be at least 2 years so I planned on that. When I tell some that have been on for years that it took me 8 months from applying to hire they are blown away. If it takes a while, just hang in there. It is what it is. And prepare yourself for the unexpected and being offered out of the region you applied. I'm only saying prepare yourself, I'm not saying it will happen. Just like the rest of the process you never know when they'll call or what they'll have to offer.

Comment

Thanks for the info once again, I'm in region 3 so I have been telling my family to bank on Miami. The wife isn't crazy about it, but she is willing to make the move.

My question is if I don't get into an academy by September what will this mean for me? Will they still run academies in 2012 to cover normal attrition, or would I just have to wait for another hiring drive to open?
            "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Not sure what it exactly means. But be patient. It will start picking up. Not sure how they will do future hiring. The FCIP process has it's flaws, but I think it served the purpose they wanted it to serve. Maybe not to the full extent, but it did get people to fill some needed spots. There are still many more spots to be filled if you look at what DUSM1811's post.

Comment

DUSM1811,

USMS still utilizing lateral transfer program? If USMS still did, wouldn't it be better to have experienced Feds come on board? All they would need is maybe few weeks of agency orientation/familiarization/OJT type of deal? Wouldn't that program weed out a lot of unqualified cadidates better than phone or email screening? I do see what you mean by 1/300 chance is better than 1/50000 but people with good qualifications would stand a good chance even if they were competing against 50,000 applicants. Tell you the truth if I have clean background, good work experiences, college degree, bi-lingual, military service, and federal law enforcement background, then I would go toe to toe to compete and I would stand out at least?

Comment

USMS still does the lateral program. They will go through BDUSM. Not sure where USMS stands with the time frame for people that have been out of CITP for a while. I do know a couple agencies that have made people go through CITP again if the person had been out for over 5 years. I had 2 in my class and they only had to go through BDUSM.

Comment

What's BDUSM? I couldn't find anything on USMS website about lateral program. You are talking about where if you are already in federal law enforcement and you can apply to go lateral right?

Comment

It's our Basic Deputy United States Marshals training. After CITP or if you by chance get on as a lateral and don't have to go through CITP again, the next portion is BDUSM.

And it's not if you're a FEDLEO. You have to be an 1811 to lateral over.

Comment

Manstown,

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these many curiosities I have. It's really good to hear straight answers. If you don't mind me asking, how did you first hear about the info session when you first applied? Recruiters I've spoke to have no idea and website FCIP is always closed, so how did you get the heads up to call in for that 5min given time? What do you recommend for next opening?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporty23 View Post
                          Manstown,

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these many curiosities I have. It's really good to hear straight answers. If you don't mind me asking, how did you first hear about the info session when you first applied? Recruiters I've spoke to have no idea and website FCIP is always closed, so how did you get the heads up to call in for that 5min given time? What do you recommend for next opening?
                          Most of us just kept checking the website. I checked weekly. Once in a while they would list an announcement that would say, "Region X will be opening on X date at X time." Then instructions would follow on how to apply, whether it was by phone or e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporty23 View Post
                            Manstown,

The FCIP program I was hired on with was different from what the more current folks went through. We didn't have to call in. I had seen on one of these forums, I forget which one, a DUSM posted any interest contact a recruiter by email. It was dumb luck. I sent an email not expecting too much. And low and behold about 10 minutes later I got an email saying to send my resume. The original post actually only lasted about 10 minutes on line before it was erased. I guess I was lucky that it was on for a short time because the initial announcement for it didn't come out until the next day. All we had to do was emails, no phone calls. I had taken the Shining Star test about a year or so before it and the only word I got was the test score.

I think what you'll see now is a little difference in the hiring trend. I doubt it will be anything like the 09 FCIP. I think I heard that the word for next time will be the written tests again. Only bad part about that will be a longer wait from application to class. But at least they'll be able to get a better selection of people because the phone calling won't be involved. Not a slight on anyone hear, I don't know you guys from Adam. But because of that phone call mess a lot of good people didn't even get their foot in the door.

Comment

Thank you for your input SEAL6770 and Manstown.

Wow, you guys really lucked out. So jealous. It really seem like opening up positions for DUSM for 5 min or a phone call doesn't seem so fair. It seems like a lottery luck when it should be at least equal opportunity to at least apply and best gets picked. I really hope new method does get implied.

What does the test comprised of? Is it like the TEA exam? Is there a study material at least? It seems like TEA exam, FBI test, ATF (TEA), ICE (Logical reasoning/math) all seems like a similar test. I really wished that different agencies actually test job oriented/related tests. Like DEA's test which is more realistic than regular written tests. People learn and comprehend so many different ways you know?

Comment

Hello. I have a question regarding recruiting. What exactly is the role of the recruiter? From what I've read online (mainly here and the USMS website), openings are decided at the agency level. E-mail submissions are made at the regional level.

I've called four offices to introduce myself to a recruiter and to ask a few questions regarding any changes in the application process and to see if they knew about any upcoming recruiting drives. No one has answered my calls and their voicemails simply tell me that they aren't hiring and direct me to the website.

I understand that they are busy and recruiting is probably a side responsibility to their regular duties. Am I wrong in trying to contact them, even if it's just to introduce myself?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6364 users online. 260 members and 6104 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X