Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks manstown n DUSM1811. From what I hear from my friends, USMS is a great agency to work for. And it is true because of the low turnover rate. It speaks for itself. I hope they will even open up some slots soon. Just hoping for the best. So do I just check the USMS website to find the date or number to request for the hearing session? I was a bit confused about that. I heard it closes within 5 mins of opening. Is that true?

Comment

Sporty23,

Let me know if you hear anything about the USMS opening up the gates and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_NYC View Post
        Sporty23,

Let me know if you hear anything about the USMS opening up the gates and good luck.
        I want to work for the marshals, and I am willing to wait. If the next hiring process is in 4 years, and the only open positions are in Anchorage, I will be there.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
          I want to work for the marshals, and I am willing to wait. If the next hiring process is in 4 years, and the only open positions are in Anchorage, I will be there.
          I hear ya Kansan...I'll bring the coffee if you bring the gloves. haha

Comment

I just wanted to pass that a friend of mine that is a Deputy Marshal works at FLETC and has stated that the recruiting drive did not turn up as many applicants as they had hoped, so there is a good chance they may do another this year to fill the void. Just keep your eyes peeled to the website as that is the most accurate way of knowing. As stated before, most recruiters do not know of any upcoming rucriting drives until shortly before they are executed. And another piece of advice, when they open the phone lines for putting your name on the list for the information seminar, (which is mandatory for begining the process), have a phone with redial capabilities and time to dedicate for the duration of the time slot allotted for call ins, because it is a tough nut to crack. I have know many good applicants that never made it because they did not make it through the phone line. Stay patient and good luck.

Comment

I believe the last 4 or 5 regions to process actually had an "email lottery" rather than the "phone lottery" to get into the info session. Slightly better but Im sure many great potential candidates still missed out. I know for Region 1 we were allowed to start emailing at 9am. Some that sent emails at 9:05am did not make it.

Comment

That is part of the reason I did not apply during the last recruiting drive. I did not have the time to sit around at a phone for hours on end (like I know some people on this website did). Then the email lottery was just as bad. If you don't even have 5 minutes to apply, that counted out a lot of good candidates.

Now to make matters even worse, I have heard that hiring in the two regions nearest me (5&6) will be very sparse and that it may take years for the candidates who completed the process to get to go to fletc.

If anyone in USMS recruiting is reading this, here is a suggestion. Have a normal application process like every other agency. Open up an announcement on usajobs for a defined period of time and allow everyone who is interested to apply. They can also submit all supporting documentation at that time. Then sort through the applications to see who meets the minimum qualifications and invite them to take the written test. If they pass the written test, then allow them to continue the process until you select the best candidates for the job. Is that so difficult?
                What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Were the phone lines really that bad for the phone lottery? I called one time and got right through... Maybe I was extremely lucky

Comment

"If anyone in USMS recruiting is reading this, here is a suggestion. Have a normal application process like every other agency. Open up an announcement on usajobs for a defined period of time and allow everyone who is interested to apply."

One problem with this....and has been touched on. With a process like this they look at getting thousands and thousands of people interested. Including people that don't meet the requirements but still apply. With that they stand to lose a ton of time and effort on people having to look through those applications. Now you have people that meet the requirements and all they'll do is complain about why the process is taking so long. In the past it has taken people 5 years plus to get on with the tests. Which will be a problem USMS would run into. If they need the bodies at a certain timeframe, they won't get it because they have to go through every application, again, to include those just applying because they think they want to kick down doors.

Is the way hiring was done the past cuple years the best way? Probably not. But it was the most expidited way to get the people needed to fill the positions. Did good people lose the opportunity because the way it was don? Yep. If those spots aren't filled and they were funded for those spots, guess what, USMS stands a chance to loss that money the next FY. And if that happens, the they start lossing manpower.

Comment

Originally posted by manstown View Post
                      "If anyone in USMS recruiting is reading this, here is a suggestion. Have a normal application process like every other agency. Open up an announcement on usajobs for a defined period of time and allow everyone who is interested to apply."

One problem with this....and has been touched on. With a process like this they look at getting thousands and thousands of people interested. Including people that don't meet the requirements but still apply. With that they stand to lose a ton of time and effort on people having to look through those applications. Now you have people that meet the requirements and all they'll do is complain about why the process is taking so long. In the past it has taken people 5 years plus to get on with the tests. Which will be a problem USMS would run into. If they need the bodies at a certain timeframe, they won't get it because they have to go through every application, again, to include those just applying because they think they want to kick down doors.

Is the way hiring was done the past cuple years the best way? Probably not. But it was the most expidited way to get the people needed to fill the positions. Did good people lose the opportunity because the way it was don? Yep. If those spots aren't filled and they were funded for those spots, guess what, USMS stands a chance to loss that money the next FY. And if that happens, the they start lossing manpower.
                      It's funny how almost every other agency, including many that are a lot smaller than USMS, can do the process that way and have no issues. Even the OIG's somehow are able to handle it.
                      What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I hear ya.....But if you look at it, how many of the OIG's get the volume of applicants that USMS does? And until recently, all the other agencies hire more often then USMS. Just one of those things that makes you scratch your head.

Comment

Originally posted by manstown View Post
                          I hear ya.....But if you look at it, how many of the OIG's get the volume of applicants that USMS does? And until recently, all the other agencies hire more often then USMS. Just one of those things that makes you scratch your head.
                          Makes sense. I'm sure in a few years when they hire again, they will have a better process.
                          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                            Makes sense. I'm sure in a few years when they hire again, they will have a better process.
                            They have discussed it after this phase was over. This FCIP drive was different from the last one.

Comment

In 23 years I have seen hiring done in a variety of ways. I took the test, along with thousands of other guys, and was put on a national list. They have done regional testing, meaning they only needed dusms in LA, NY, Miami, Atlanta, DC, Chicago,- (no other districts) you tested at each location with the understanding that that's where you would be.

With this round of hiring, the USMS knew how many positions they were allotted, they know where they want to put them. Each region had a target number of potential applicants (some as low as 300). Why open it up to thousands who may be on a list for 5 years? It's not perfect, but it gets the numbers that the USMS wants. Look at it this way, with a national register you're 1 out of about 50,000 applicants (no sh_t, that's what they've had) but with the phone/email registering- if you were lucky enough to get through- you could be 1 out of 300. Which odds do you like better?

Then there's also the CCEP Program (also known as Co-op), there's Admin to DUSM, there's laterals (very infrequent) and there's Operation Shining Star- for ex-military.

I do not foresee a hiring blitz like this one for many years to come (5 to 10 years). Maybe a class or two a year (probably ex-military and CCSEP).

For those currently in the process- hang in there and stay in shape.
                              Last edited by DUSM1811; 03-05-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

What is the shining star program? Is it still in use?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11220 users online. 450 members and 10770 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X