Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will USMS hire for 2010?

Hi guys, I have couple of questions.

I've read all the USMS threads for different regions and it seems like the last applicant pool they opened up was early 2009. I know that alot of guys are just finishing up their process and getting hired, but does that mean USMS won't hire at all for 2010? I've contacted my region recruiter but he doesn't even know the tentative date for next opening and i've been regularly checking up on USMS website and USAJOBS website but nothing yet. Does anyone know??

Second question is, it seems like majority of federal law enforcement agencies always are hiring or they would stop the process for just a bit and do a massive hiring again but it seems like it is never like that for USMS. Is that because they have low turn over rate? Are they real good agency to work for? And how come they don't have online application process like other agencies?

Sorry so many questions.

I highly doubt it. Maybe, maybe......2011. Talking to the recruiter here, it may be some time. 2011 is a possibility though. But I wouldn't bank on 2010. Except for the people already in the process of course. If the recruiter doesn't know, than no one on here will be able to tell you for sure.

I enjoy working for USMS. Won't be leaving anytime soon, if at all. Not sure what the turnover rate is. I've been in DC for a couple years now and can't remember hearing anyone that has left for another agency. As for the application process, I have no idea. That's above my paygrade.

Comment

Another Q

Thanks Manstown. I really appreciate your reply. I was wondering about USMS payscale. When you get hired, you start at GL pay scale? Then after 3 years, you get 1811 status automatically or do you have to test? How does that work? BTW it's awesome that you have a job that you really enjoy. That's very hard for anyone to do

Comment

I heard they changed the pay scale where now you do not have to stay at grades for years before you move up. But I am not sure on that.

Comment

They just had a huge hiring push last year and many people are still in the process, so I would guess that it is very unlikely they will be hiring again after only a few months since the last announcement. You just missed out.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by Sporty23 View Post
            Thanks Manstown. I really appreciate your reply. I was wondering about USMS payscale. When you get hired, you start at GL pay scale? Then after 3 years, you get 1811 status automatically or do you have to test? How does that work? BTW it's awesome that you have a job that you really enjoy. That's very hard for anyone to do
            Back in September they just changed the way the conversion and pay works. It use to be, with the new FCIP, that you would have to do 4-5 years as an 082 before they converted you to 1811. And once you hit your 9 you would do a year at 9-1, a year at 9-2, then a year at 9-3 then go to 11 which would give you your 1811. Now it's a straight shot, one year at each pay grade, 5 through 11. If you come on as a 5 it will take you 3 years to get your 1811. If you come on as a 7 you'll get converted after 2 years.

Now before FCIP they would have to merit promote and submit packages for 1811. I've heard about it but maybe DUSM 1811 could better explain that one.

The job now is pretty good. As time goes by it gets better. If you just keep your head down and do your job, and do it right, at some point you'll get to where you want to be. Dirty work comes first.

Comment

Manstown is correct. I doubt there will be a major hiring in the USMS to this scale (over 500 slots) for some time (years). Considering our agency only has about 3,000 DUSMS (CDUSMS-ACDUSMS, SDUSMS. JSI'S, DTI'S, Inspectors- are all still DUSMS). My suggestion is to find a college that offers the CSEP (I think that's the acronym) Program. Major in Criminal Justice- your last year you interview for an internship with the USMS. If accepted the USMS brings you on as a 5- you do alot of grunt work- but at the end of the successful internship you are offered a position with the USMS. No test- no sitting by the phone hoping for the call. There are alot of schools involved. I believe Penn State, Fairmont State (WV), and Cleveland State (Oh) are involved as are others. Call the district office and ask about the program the District Recruiting Officer has more info than I do.

Yes, when I got my 12 in 1991, I had to submit a package and compete against other DUSMS. Baby we've come a long way and still have a little ways to go. We're headed in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by DUSM1811 View Post
                Manstown is correct. I doubt there will be a major hiring in the USMS to this scale (over 500 slots) for some time (years). Considering our agency only has about 3,000 DUSMS (CDUSMS-ACDUSMS, SDUSMS. JSI'S, DTI'S, Inspectors- are all still DUSMS). My suggestion is to find a college that offers the CSEP (I think that's the acronym) Program. Major in Criminal Justice- your last year you interview for an internship with the USMS. If accepted the USMS brings you on as a 5- you do alot of grunt work- but at the end of the successful internship you are offered a position with the USMS. No test- no sitting by the phone hoping for the call. There are alot of schools involved. I believe Penn State, Fairmont State (WV), and Cleveland State (Oh) are involved as are others. Call the district office and ask about the program the District Recruiting Officer has more info than I do.

Yes, when I got my 12 in 1991, I had to submit a package and compete against other DUSMS. Baby we've come a long way and still have a little ways to go. We're headed in the right direction.
                So do you guys think the hiring could be around 2012 or 2013? I just want another chance with the USMS...

Comment

Does it help any to be part of the local USMS Task Force or even being part of Operation FALCON for getting hired? Or is it just strictly through the hiring drives and that's it?

I guess what I'm getting at is does it help at all having connections within the USMS?

Comment

I was a former USMS intern. That does NOT guarentee you a spot. I went to the USSS because the Marshals were not hiring - even interns. They do have a program that an individual mentioned above - perhaps I was in the wrong internship program. I also worked on Task Forces as an intern. MY time as a USMS intern was much funner than my time as a USSS UD Officer. USMS took me out on some cool assignements.

Either way this is what I have learned being an intern and maintaining my USMS mentor, and working in DC for the past 4 years:

USMS has a very low turn-over rate (that should tell you something)

The process just changed as to how they hire. You might have to do COURT SECURITY ONLY for up to 3 years before becoming an 1811. Can you say boring...
                    I was not willing to go through these baby steps after 6 years Marine Corps, 2 years USSS, and 2 years in counterterrorism.

After the court time - if you pass (not everyone gets to stay on) I hear nothing but general good. They have their negatives like everyone else, but over all my impression that it is an excellent agency to work for. If you don't like where you're at.. apply to a task force and work with another agency as a US Marshal liaison.

Don't set your sights on one agency as some may not hire for up to 5 years. They all do the same thing, just investigate different crimes.. Small difference for USMS is that they will protect judges like USSS protects president/diplomats. Always apply once you have minimum requirements. I should have done this. I thought I had to do all this work, then I see 22 year old kids in the Special Agent academies... A little frustrating
                    Last edited by formerusssnusmc; 02-25-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

The internship doesn't guarentee you a spot, but the co-op program does. Unless you just really screw up. Two different programs.

And you don't have to do Court Security for 3 years before you get your 1811. When you get your 11 you'll become an 1811. So if you come on as a 5 you get it in 3 years. If you come on as a 7 you get it in 2 years. And you don't HAVE to do court in order to get it. Some people do get the opportunity to get out of court a year or two after they get to the district. Most of what you'll do is court for the first couple years. And even when you're at the District, you have opportunities to get out on the streets with different rotations. I had buddies working their own cases not too long out of the academy. If people needed to go to court, they would take them. But if there aren't people that need to go to your court, you can work some cases, go out on the street and help out if needed. I can tell you that it's not that boring. Maybe tedious, but you have to do your time to get what you want.
                      Last edited by manstown; 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Thank you Manstown, great insight!
                        CBP
                        WrittenTest: 12/2010
                        NOR: 1/25/11
                        T.O. 6/21/11
                        Med & PFT1 7/25/11
                        VBT/Interview: 8/10/11[/B][/B]

ISO
                        Written Test 8/22/11

Comment

Does anyone know how to get involved with a USMS Task Force if already OTJ?

Comment

Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                            Does anyone know how to get involved with a USMS Task Force if already OTJ?
                            You have to go through your agency. At mine, we have numerous detectives on the regional task force. However, my agency assigns them to the unit, not the USMS. They have to get deputized, at least at ours, due to the multi-jurisdictional work. That is NOT an easy process for the agency to do. My dept. will only deputize a few people when it is absolutely necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAL6770 View Post
                              You have to go through your agency. At mine, we have numerous detectives on the regional task force. However, my agency assigns them to the unit, not the USMS. They have to get deputized, at least at ours, due to the multi-jurisdictional work. That is NOT an easy process for the agency to do. My dept. will only deputize a few people when it is absolutely necessary.
                              Haha, well I guess it was a good idea. My agency will never do anything like that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13342 users online. 458 members and 12884 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X