300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance company wants me

Since I posted my resume online, I have received at least a dozen emails from insurance companies asking for an interview.

Anyone know the pros and cons of insurance business? Thanks!

It's sales. Commissioned, sales. You won't get a paycheck (other than a draw that you have to pay back) if you don't sell.

They give jobs to whoever will take them because it won't cost them a dime to bring you on-board.

Comment

If you post a resume online, and anonymous people start making job offers for jobs you never applied for, well... the FBI would call that a "clue."
      sigpic

Comment

Unbelievable. Why is this posted here?
        Different stages with different agencies...

Comment

I posted my resume on some of the big career sites after I graduated from college. Within a week I got calls for "exciting new career opportunities" from a host of Multi-level marketing (MLM) outfits. I told them no thank you and went on my way.

Now a lot of legit talent sourcers do use these jobsites. You just have to do your research and use a little common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by fedorbust1811 View Post
            Unbelievable. Why is this posted here?
            Good question - waste of forum space.

Comment

message deleted
              Last edited by BPD Once; 02-19-2010, 08:52 PM.

Comment

He's not exactly barking up the wrong tree -- theres retired LE on here, and some retired LE go on to insurance-related investigation stuff, including surveillance related to insurance scams, claims investigation, etc.

I knew someone who did insurance related surveillance and found it somewhat rewarding busting people who claimed they were nearly paralyzed from a slip and fall at a supermarket and suing for millions... he found them out doing roofing work on their house. Not bad for a retirement gig.

Comment

To those who answered my question, thank you kindly.

To those others, you need to cut back on your raw meat.

I am a retired police officer and thought this was the appropriate forum. If it is not, I'll be happy to let a moderator move it.

I thought there were be some other retired officers who may have taken a job selling insurance and wanted to get their feedback.

Since I am on a pension, a commission only job does not bother me. My concerns were with hours, travel, etc.

The company I have an interview with is Liberty Mutual, which AFAIK has a good reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by davido53 View Post
                    To those who answered my question, thank you kindly.

To those others, you need to cut back on your raw meat.

I am a retired police officer and thought this was the appropriate forum. If it is not, I'll be happy to let a moderator move it.

I thought there were be some other retired officers who may have taken a job selling insurance and wanted to get their feedback.

Since I am on a pension, a commission only job does not bother me. My concerns were with hours, travel, etc.

The company I have an interview with is Liberty Mutual, which AFAIK has a good reputation.
                    I apologize for my previous comment, but we sometimes get Spam/Junk posters on these forums, and someone asking about an insurance job took people by surprise a bit.

Regarding insurance sales....if you want to be successful, you will have to put in long hours, travel quite a bit, and be fine with Shmoozing, wining, and dining. If that is you, then go for it. If you don't succeed, you will know it because you will get let go quickly, depending on the segments/markets you work, and the products you push.

They will typically give you a small base salary for the first year, in addition to commissions. There is a lot of money to be made if you put the initial investment of long hours into building a customer base and learning your products, inside and out.

I've been in the group (large group employer market) insurance business for about 7 years. While I am not in sales, I work very closely with them every day. It is all a "relationship" business.

Research the companies that you are considering. Make sure they have solid assets that support their liabilities.

You might also look into Edward Jones. I've noticed they have been hiring a bit, and I think they have a solid reputation. They have a great business model, especially if you are an entrepreneur at heart, and you don't want all the risk that comes with "owning" your own business. And no, I don't have any association with them. I've been hit with their recruiting emails a lot the last few weeks and actually researched them for about an hour a few nights ago.

Good luck.
                    Last edited by flyer2007; 02-19-2010, 10:09 PM.

Comment

they do have a good rep, the insurance industry has changed dramatically in the last 20 years.
                      It can be a good gig; if you've got that bs flair like most officers I know, you'll enjoy it.
                      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

thank you very much...

Comment

I think a retired officer would be better off as a claims adjuster than strictly a salesman. Having been an adjuster before coming to LE, there are some similarities in the position which might appeal more to someone with an investigative background.

Provided you don't get stuck with a desk job at one of the enormous companies out there, the positions usually offer a ton of scheduling freedom with company owned vehicles, and lots of issued equipment that you use to set up your home office (phone, computer, etc.). You go out and investigate for the private sector, reviewing the claim evidence against the statements of the claimants to rule out fraud and determine the value of losses. Then you cut the check and head home. The job tends to be pretty easy compared to humping 911 calls and far less stressful.

I hope that helps.

Comment

When I went to arson investigation class, the instructor said being an investigator for an insurance company is sometimes a better gig than being a cop. He related a story where he went to follow up on a fire at a business and had to wait hours for a warrant... while the insurance company investigator was able to stroll the site freely because that insurance company required a waiver from the insured giving insurance company adjusters free access to the site without restriction.

Comment

Various Allstate contractors will pay you to get your Insurance license. If you've got nothing else to do, get a license and work for one of the major companies until a LE job comes along. Make sure the company is solvent by going to AM Best for a rating.
                              CBPO
                              GEO - NY/JFK
                              TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                              PE Forms - Completed
                              Fitness - Completed
                              VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                              Drug Screen - Completed
                              Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                              B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                              Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                              TSU

EOD: ???
                              FLETC: ???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7499 users online. 392 members and 7107 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X