300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Board????

Hey guys, Im new to the forum. I completed my academy in November. But i hadnt applied anywere until mid January. So I passed the physical agility test, then the civil test. I had a preliminary interview with my Background Detective last week. I have oral board later this week and i was wondering if you guys had any tips or anything that could help me. Thanks.
    Romans 13:1 1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 4.For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Lots of information on this topic--look around on the forum. I've taken nearly a dozen oral boards lately and scored in the top 10 in all but one of them. The main things I've found are:

1. Don't "BS" the panel. They're used to getting it on the street. This isn't like a normal job interview. Be yourself and if you fit with the agency you'll score high. If you don't fit with the agency, you shouldn't work there anyway.

2. Explain your reasoning. You're not a cop yet, so if you make the wrong decision for the right reasons, you're ok. They're looking for someone who can think logically and quickly, and in the "right" way. They might try to get you to change your mind. Make decisions like Davy Crockett: make sure you're right, then go ahead.

3. Spend time with the agency you're interviewing with. Go on a ride along. Talk to the officers about what they like about their agency. Know a little about the community the agency is in, about the chief/sheriff.

4. Show some respect. You're not "one of the guys" yet, so don't act like it. Speak respectfully, cleanly, don't use "uh" and "ya know."

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Noob84 View Post
      Lots of information on this topic--look around on the forum. I've taken nearly a dozen oral boards lately and scored in the top 10 in all but one of them. The main things I've found are:

1. Don't "BS" the panel. They're used to getting it on the street. This isn't like a normal job interview. Be yourself and if you fit with the agency you'll score high. If you don't fit with the agency, you shouldn't work there anyway.

2. Explain your reasoning. You're not a cop yet, so if you make the wrong decision for the right reasons, you're ok. They're looking for someone who can think logically and quickly, and in the "right" way. They might try to get you to change your mind. Make decisions like Davy Crockett: make sure you're right, then go ahead.

3. Spend time with the agency you're interviewing with. Go on a ride along. Talk to the officers about what they like about their agency. Know a little about the community the agency is in, about the chief/sheriff.

4. Show some respect. You're not "one of the guys" yet, so don't act like it. Speak respectfully, cleanly, don't use "uh" and "ya know."

Good Luck.
      This^^^ can't go wrong with advice like that...
      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

here:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94150

Comment

Well thanks guys good reading. I think if I think about what I read I'll be fine. I read the link and I ran into another question. On my oral board I was thinking of wearing a black suit white shirt and either a pink tie or a red one. Guam took the same tie. What do you guys think red is more conservitive but I want to try to stand out a little right? Or is hat a bad idea? Thanks again guys
          Romans 13:1 1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 4.For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Comment

Originally posted by el_rookie View Post
            Well thanks guys good reading. I think if I think about what I read I'll be fine. I read the link and I ran into another question. On my oral board I was thinking of wearing a black suit white shirt and either a pink tie or a red one. Guam took the same tie. What do you guys think red is more conservitive but I want to try to stand out a little right? Or is hat a bad idea? Thanks again guys
            Red, NOT pink. You will stand out alright...in the cold.

Comment

Hahaha. Ok I guess red it'll be. Thanks.

Comment

no pink. dark blue

Comment

Originally posted by jcwjcw View Post
                  no pink. dark blue
                  He's wearing a black suit. Blue and black go together? I'm not Mr. Fashion so I'm not sure, but I would do dark red tie with black. But if blue goes with black, then yes, wear dark blue!

Comment

Can I wear a fish tie to an oral interview?

Comment

Originally posted by bozo View Post
                      Can I wear a fish tie to an oral interview?
                      Please do; that will be one less person with which everyone else has to compete. While you're at it, wear some cutoff jean shorts, with penny loafers and black socks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10074 users online. 340 members and 9734 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X