300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Hiring/New Hires 2010

Hey all, I've made several posts here regarding agencies in Western Washington State (WSP, Seattle PD, Tacoma, etc....). But now I'm coming back to NY and looking to get on the job out there. What is all this negativity I'm hearing about the NYPD process?

I know that after talking to a few backgrounders from the 60th in Brooklyn that the classes went from 1500 to 200 (which is understandable with the economy). How long are people actually waiting for the call, though? And how many classes are they running per year now?

What I've experienced out west, thus far, is this: even with a 95-100 written and exceeding the 100th percentile on the physical fitness test; this does not even guarantee a call back. Pretty frustrating when you score 2nd and are sitting in front of 3500 people (for Seattle) and all you get is "well, thanks for coming out, maybe we'll see you back in the future". In fact, I passed the oral and background, as well. Sometime, I get a feeling (after testing for TWO DOZEN agencies....no joke) that some of these guys actually like knocking the best candidates off the list. No felonies, no arrests within ten years, military service, I mean CLEAN, man....SQEAKY.

I just want to get on the job and would love to come back to NY. The west coast absolutely sucks.

But come on, this is NYC, 9 million people.... there have to be jobs... am I wrong.... if I drop a 95, how long would it take for an interview? Thing is, I live 3,000 miles away right now and work as a civilian for the Department of Defense. I'll drop $2,000 just to go back out there to test. Not that it would be a waste, I just want an accurate picture on what's going on out there.

Anyone who's tested and KNOWS they scored high in the last year.... I'd love to hear from ya, as well as any New Hires (from last year). Also, what events are on NYPD's physical fitness/agility test? Out here it's just 300m sprint, 1.5-mile run, push-ups, sit-ups.

Before I save up for travel and down-payment for a place to squat (I'm thinking Park Slope), I'd like an idea of the hiring climate out there.

Thanks and hope to hear from some of you guys.

GO YANKS!!!!!! LET'S DO IT AGAIN IN '10, BABY!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, anyone seen a game in the new stadium yet?

Don't come to NY!!

I've seen a game in the new stadium, actually a handful. Beautiful stadium, absolutely amazing. Was speechless when I stepped in. It's one of those you have to be there to describe the feeling moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick331 View Post
      Don't come to NY!!

I've seen a game in the new stadium, actually a handful. Beautiful stadium, absolutely amazing. Was speechless when I stepped in. It's one of those you have to be there to describe the feeling moments.
      Why do you say to not come to NYC?

Comment

Originally posted by ElNueve View Post
        Why do you say to not come to NYC?
        New York in general is impossible to live in with the taxes, joke of a governor, etc. I'm sorry to all those happy NY'ers. Hard to live in a state like this coming out of college with basically a house to pay back.

Comment

fOrget about nypd man, I kept my nose clean for all these years passed everything and still can't get in the nypd at this economy. Been a year since my second test still no call. Why don't u try lapd? Good luck and don't waste the two thousand dollars coming to NYC just to take the test.

Comment

the waiting process right now is a joke and with no means of a promising bigger class...i would say that a typical waiting game (from the second you passed the exam till getting into the academy) would average out to a good 2-3 years of waiting....if u like the waiting game ...by all means applied....if not...applied else where ...good luck man

Comment

ImaBadMan wrote:

"Before I save up for travel and down-payment for a place to squat (I'm thinking Park Slope), I'd like an idea of the hiring climate out there."

Park Slope! That is among the more expensive places to buy or rent in the outer Boroughs. Unless you are coming here with big bucks, Park Slope may be on the high side of the "cost of living" ladder.

"I'll drop $2,000 just to go back out there to test. Not that it would be a waste, I just want an accurate picture on what's going on out there."

Accurate picture? With the economy the way it is, and the finances of the city and the State, there is no accurate picture. What is said or promised on Monday will change by Wednesday, and be cancelled on Thursday, be reinstated on the following Monday, then halved on Tuesday. Then it will be postponed indefinitely. If your are interested, your best shot is to jump in and hope for the best, like the saying goes-you gotta be in it to win it!

Comment

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and just say take the NYPD test and maybe they'll start putting some big classes through. As far as cost of living goes, you don't have to live in nyc you could find a place in one of the surrounding counties aka rockland, orange and a few others (cheaper the further north you go).

The original number for the January 10 class was zero. There was rumor that they might put 500 through, which is what they told all of us as they were shaving our arms and legs for the drug test. They announced in february 09 that the class was cancelled but they ended up getting some federal money to put 112 people through. In that same announcement commissioner Ray Kelly announced that they would be hiring 1,600 in July 2010. Keep hope alive.

http://wcbstv.com/local/nypd.police.....2.932308.html
                Last edited by nygiantfan845; 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM. Reason: Typo
                Training to be one of New York's Finest

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10773 users online. 364 members and 10409 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X