Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAMS Complete Hiring Process

Hey Everyone,

So I have joined the ranks among many who have played or are playing the waiting game with this agency(FAMS) for the extremely lengthy hiring process and just have a few questions about the entire thing while I wait.

1) Apparently they do 2 background checks on you, one after they've given you a contingent offer, and a second right before they give you an official offer of employment. My question is in which of these background checks do they utlize the poly?

2) What is the point of all the "offers of employment" compared to other agencies? You get a contingent offer, which means nothing, a conditional offer, which also means nothing, and then the final offer which means everything...

3)I heard there is no written test for this position, but there is a FAMS Assessment Battery. What is the difference? Aren't they generaly the same thing?

I've tried to look these answers up, especially on the boards, but the topics it sends me to are almost 300 pages in length. So sorry if a lot of this sounds repeated.
    Thanks for any answers. I figured I needed to find a way to waste some time between all the waiting.

Originally posted by jpoe23 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

So I have joined the ranks among many who have played or are playing the waiting game with this agency(FAMS) for the extremely lengthy hiring process and just have a few questions about the entire thing while I wait.

1) Apparently they do 2 background checks on you, one after they've given you a contingent offer, and a second right before they give you an official offer of employment. My question is in which of these background checks do they utlize the poly?

2) What is the point of all the "offers of employment" compared to other agencies? You get a contingent offer, which means nothing, a conditional offer, which also means nothing, and then the final offer which means everything...

3)I heard there is no written test for this position, but there is a FAMS Assessment Battery. What is the difference? Aren't they generaly the same thing?

I've tried to look these answers up, especially on the boards, but the topics it sends me to are almost 300 pages in length. So sorry if a lot of this sounds repeated.
    Thanks for any answers. I figured I needed to find a way to waste some time between all the waiting.

1) They only do 1 background investigation which is after you have been hired and there is no polygraph.
    2) The different offers are because the process is so long that you must accept these offers to continue in the process. I'm sure there are people that during the waiting period find other employment or do not want to continue the process so if they don't accept the respective offer they are removed from the process.
    3) The battery test is just a computer version of a written test. Each agency does their own assessment test. FAMS is just computer based.

Comment

Originally posted by jpoe23 View Post

Firstly, it's not necessary to start a new thread to vent some anxiety and ask some questions that have already been asked an answered more than a few times. If you had spent the amount of time it took you to write this post to do the research, you would already have your answers. In the future, refrain from starting unnecessary threads. Next time, search for your questions and try clicking on the "show posts" option instead of showing the whole thread.

1. They don't do two background checks on you. I have no idea where you got this information. You submit one SF-86 form through EQIP, from which DHS will do a preliminary check to grant you an interim clearance. With an interim clearance, you can attend training at FLETC. While at FLETC, DHS will have an extensive background investigation done on you, from which a determination will be made at adjudication. It is the same background process. There is no poly for FAMS.

2. The point of the offers is to allocate resources to persons in the process of hiring for the service. FAMS has to justify spending money on you to go through the process of testing, panel, PT, medical, etc., etc.. That stuff actually cost the government money to do. The offers coincide with you being given an official offer to pursue the hiring process.

3. The FAMS Assessment Battery is a computerized test. So, technically it is not written.

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/showthread...ht=air+marshal

Huge thread....all your questions have been answered at least a 100 times in it.......

Further....it shows you are lazy because you refuse to look for your answers in a huge/active thread....by making the comment you made..

Comment

Looks like LE1979 beat me to it.

Comment

The guy posts once a year and you bust him out

There is a ton of info on FAMS, check here
            http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ms+air+marshal

Originally posted by Devil Nuts View Post
            Firstly, it's not necessary to start a new thread to vent some anxiety and ask some questions that have already been asked an answered more than a few times. If you had spent the amount of time it took you to write this post to do the research, you would already have your answers. In the future, refrain from starting unnecessary threads. Next time, search for your questions and try clicking on the "show posts" option instead of showing the whole thread.

1. They don't do two background checks on you. I have no idea where you got this information. You submit one SF-86 form through EQIP, from which DHS will do a preliminary check to grant you an interim clearance. With an interim clearance, you can attend training at FLETC. While at FLETC, DHS will have an extensive background investigation done on you, from which a determination will be made at adjudication. It is the same background process. There is no poly for FAMS.

2. The point of the offers is to allocate resources to persons in the process of hiring for the service. FAMS has to justify spending money on you to go through the process of testing, panel, PT, medical, etc., etc.. That stuff actually cost the government money to do. The offers coincide with you being given an official offer to pursue the hiring process.

3. The FAMS Assessment Battery is a computerized test. So, technically it is not written.

Comment

I wouldn't have posted the info....you guys are too nice......

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Nuts View Post
                Who died and made you forum god? "In the future, refrain from starting unnecessary threads."

If you don't like the new thread, don't respond to it.

Frankly, sometimes the threads asking specific questions are quite helpful when the original thread is several hundred pages long. Not everyone has the time to read through all of these threads or sort through the search results.

I don't see a problem with this new thread.

Comment

Didn't mean to come off as an arse. Just tired of coming on here and tripping over all of the BS trying to find the real information. This is supposed to be a big boy/girl job, and if you can't take the time and muster the due diligence to look on google, the actual job announcement, the TSA website, etc. to find all of this readily available information, then frankly I wouldn't want you potentially sitting next to me on a plane in the care of several hundred people.

Last point, I actually took the time to answer his questions. This is the last thing I will post in this thread. The questions have been asked and answered. Just let it die and go back to the 300 + page monster that everyone else uses.
                  Last edited by Devil Nuts; 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakic View Post

I don't see a problem with this new thread.
                    Sorry...it shows laziness on his part.... He even states that he didn't want to
                    waste his time" ....

You wanna work with guys like this...? Too lazy to take 5 seconds out of their day to search a topic that has beat to death.....

Granted, it is a small thing....but what else is he lazy about...? Showing up on time....filing intel reports in timely manner.....not doing the right steps when he's at work because he doesn't want to waste his time and doesn't do something properly and gets you hurt or injuried flying...?

Geezz.....

Comment

The old thread is a monster and filled with bickering and arguing over stupid little things. Honestly, digging through hundreds of pages of crap to come up with a few good pieces of info just isn't worth it a lot of the time. I don't blame him for starting a new thread.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                        The old thread is a monster and filled with bickering and arguing over stupid little things. Honestly, digging through hundreds of pages of crap to come up with a few good pieces of info just isn't worth it a lot of the time. I don't blame him for starting a new thread.
                        I hate lazy people.... Every question he had has been answered there 10 times (at least).... I know other web sites that would have locked his thread and erased the answers...and told him to go look.

Hell, he's only posted 3 times...he's not even a produtive member of the board.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7237 users online. 387 members and 6850 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X