300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Along Dress Code

This is one of my first posts, so go easy. I am hoping this is posted in the correct location.

I've applied with my local Sheriff's Department. I've completed the written and the physical fitness tests. I've also completed a face-to-face interview with two of the Captains and now they are working on my background check.

I was contacted yesterday to join a deputy for a ride-along. I was then told that there is a business casual dress code and to not wear jeans or tennis shoes.

What do I wear? I've been on 3 ride-alongs with the city police and just wore heavy cargo pants, tactical boots, and a black Army polo shirt. Is this considered business casual for a ride-along?

It's February (about 30 - 40 degrees) and a short sleeve polo isn't appealing to me right now. I was hoping to wear the same thing, but instead of the polo a hooded Army Special Forces sweatshirt.

Would this be OK?
    PAT: Passed
    National POST: Passed
    Oral Board: Passed
    Background: Underway
    Polygraph: Not started
    Psych Exam: Not started
    Medical: Not started
    Job Offer: Not Yet
    Academy Class: Not Determined

I wore business casual for all of my ride alongs. Although I do not know their particular requirements regarding ride alongs, I would assume that they would prefer that you wear something a little more "dressier". I would just contact the deputy / recruiter and ask what he/she recommends.
    Different stages with different agencies...

Comment

Khakis, shined boots, and a long-sleeved button-down shirt. Beneath that, you can wear long underwear or whatever. This is what I would do. Contact your deputy to be sure.
      Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

I've only been on one ride along, and I wore jeans, gym shoes and a long sleeve shirt with a sweater. All plain colors, no logos. I didn't apply for this department, though, seems like it's part of the hiring process?
        "One definition of hell is when the person you are now meets the person you could have become."

Comment

Since you are in the hiring process with this dept as I take it, I would suggest being dressed nicely, preferably as other stated khakis, button up shirt, or sweater. Make yourself look good.

Good Luck

Comment

Can I ride in the back seat??
            Deputy Kent Mundell
            Pierce County Sheriff
            Dec 28th.
            Gone but not forgotten...

Comment

this is just my worthless .02, but why all the army stuff? i mean, being a proud vet, i get it, i am one too, as are alot of the deputy's there im sure-but with all the tac-out gear (boots, cargos,black polo) just may seem like a little much- maybe not, again, just my opinion- but i would let that out in time and not broadcast it to guys who for better or worse, wont give a crap untill you prove yourself on the job- but WTF do i know

Comment

Originally posted by Tacticool View Post
                Can I ride in the back seat??
                Nice! You'd have to ride with a sad look on ur face so people will think u just got busted.

Comment

You'll look like a complete idiot wearing all the tactical gear. Just wear some kackis and a button down shirt. You're a going on a ride along, your not an actual officer yet.

Comment

Dress as the others have stated in kakis, button up shirt, and comfortable jacket. If you wear what you are planning the deputy you are riding with and the rest on the shift are going to think you are a big WOO-WOO, Second, you are not to look like an officer in any way. Unless you have a commision with that agency you have no police powers and should not present yourself as if you do. You will already be riding in the front seat of a marked patrol car and that is enough liability for the agency without you looking like a jump out boy.
                    Don't over think it, wear what they told you. Remember you are still interviewing, dress like you want the job more than anything else.
                    Best of luck.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.

Khaki's and a button down it is, then.
                      PAT: Passed
                      National POST: Passed
                      Oral Board: Passed
                      Background: Underway
                      Polygraph: Not started
                      Psych Exam: Not started
                      Medical: Not started
                      Job Offer: Not Yet
                      Academy Class: Not Determined

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7315 users online. 408 members and 6907 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X