Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I randomly recieved information from the USPS regarding positions in Alaska and Puerto Rico and stating I had 5 days to respond if I was still interested in employment. Not my dream duty station but if it gets me in the door.

Comment

Im with you CID, in that the "boss" prob. wouldnt be thrilled with either location, but if it's negotiable with yours, go for it just to get your foot in the door. I know that sucks after being on the list for so long and then to have those as your only 2 options. Id prob. go with AK over PR just for the safety issues and fact that in PR, you are still a foreigner, even if you are American. Plus, if you dont speak fluent Spanish, you would be in for a real hard time just communicating with the public. Have heard lots of neg issues about quality of life and family concerns on PR and I just dont think I could put mine through that. As long as the locality pay and starting salary would keep me afloat for a few years, Id go AK. I would think that they would consider that a "hardhip" post, (I know FBI and DEA do so for PR) and after a 3-5 yr tour, you should get your choice of locations. Dont know about USPIS but I would def. ask. Its def. a hardship moving to either of those locations on a starting salary. I have seen and heard from many that if you accept it for what it is, AK is awesome! I actually have a friend who is an AST Trooper and moved there from the Southeastern US and he loves it. Plus, he lives between Anchorage and Fairbanks, so I know if he can make it in that locale, I could survive in Anchorage!! Good luck!!
      Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be known as the children of God."

Comment

How did I miss this thread!?!?! It feels like a HS reunion... Lol

There are many other places that need inspectors, not just Ak and PR... I bet DC is getting a few too... I'm locked in my job for another year so I may be sol again
        sigpic

Comment

Dubya... Whatcha talking about??? PR is almost like Alabama... But PR IS the REAL south ..... Lol
          sigpic

Comment

Ha!! You ain't kiddin!! (In my thick southern drawl!lol) I think I'll stick with MY version of the south...thank you very much!!! Plus, football in PR is nothing like Bama football!!!! ROOOOOLLLL TIDE!!!! (Had to throw that in..since we DID win the BCS after all! lol)
            Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be known as the children of God."

Comment

Just my 2 cents, don't waste your time applying to the USPIS. It is in a sad sorry shape right now. Those that are fairly new see the light and are leaving like there is no tomorrow. The only ones sticking around are those of us that are close to retirement. Our management is of the poorest quality and dishonest. We have the crappiest equipment and training of any LE agency I have ever worked with. Most small town PD's are better equipped than us.
              I have been with the USPIS since 96 and can tell you from experience, run the other way. FYI- Postal Inspectors are NOT classified as 1811's. Never have been and probably never will be if management has its way.

Comment

So about 2 weeks ago an investigator calls and says he is renewing my BI for the last 2 years so he reinterviewed me and last week interviewed my current employer and neighbors. Guess we will see where it leads this time, sure hope there are more duty stations other than Puerto Rico and Alaska.

Comment

I'm still waiting on my BI to start for the second time. Anyone else on standby waiting for a BI? I hope I didn't get overlooked.

Comment

There was time when the Postal Inspectors were one of the most respected Federal 1811 gigs and it truly was a dream job for many that obtained it. Sadly, as has been mentioned those days are mostly over and many Postal Inspectors are disenchanted with their agency and especially their management ranks. I personally know quite a few that have left and may others that are looking to leave. Perhaps things will turn around for the better, but the writing on the wall says otherwise in big bold letters.

Comment

Det455, I am in the same boat as you. I have a friend who was contacted by USPIS that his BI was going to begin, but he turned it down since he just got hired as an 1811 somewhere else. While my BI hasn't "officially" started, I was contacted by a previous employer who told me he was contacted to verify my employment. I am going to give HR a call and see what is going on. Perhaps you should do the same.

Comment

Brumus, I may just do that if I don't hear anything in the next week. I know a person that turned down the job as well because of an 1811 job he landed. I would think the pool is very thin and maybe we can get lucky enough for the next class at CDD. I'm trying to be patient but it's getting hard!

Comment

The wait is getting tough. I always run to the phone when it rings, but for some reason it is always the Mother-in-law calling.

Comment

Can someone PM me an HR contact number so I can check my status....returned all of the paperwork, but no movement on the BI refresh?

Comment

Has anybody heard anything since they resubmitted the CAP? Any rumors or info?

Comment

I haven't heard a word.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12496 users online. 500 members and 11996 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X