300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department if agriculture/forest service

I keep seeing these jobs advertised on USA jobs, can anybody give some insight? I am thinking about applying and would lke a little more information.

This has been discussed in other threads. The long and short of it that the jobs are extremely competitive. A lot of people in fed Law enforcement want them, many taking reductions in grade or crappy locations in order to get them.

Anyone with significant LE experience and/or a natural resource background (biology degree, a lot of time in a non-LE position with a state natural resource agency) has a leg up on these jobs, IMO. Doesn't mean you can't get hired otherwise, but it can be tough to compete without bringing one of those things to the table.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Am DS, want to be USFS 1811

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
      This has been discussed in other threads. The long and short of it that the jobs are extremely competitive. A lot of people in fed Law enforcement want them, many taking reductions in grade or crappy locations in order to get them.

Anyone with significant LE experience and/or a natural resource background (biology degree, a lot of time in a non-LE position with a state natural resource agency) has a leg up on these jobs, IMO. Doesn't mean you can't get hired otherwise, but it can be tough to compete without bringing one of those things to the table.
      I am a DS Agent with a BS in Environmental Biology and MS in CJ. Any idea if Colorado will be hiring anytime in the near future? Thanks

Comment

No idea. What I would do - if you want to be proactive rather than waiting on something to appear on USAJobs - is to find out who is in charge of that region and start asking questions. Colorado is some nice country, though, so I think the competitive nature of the job might be ratcheted up a bit for that reason alone. You might want to try a place that's less desirable on paper, first, and then try to transfer later.
        "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Originally posted by 2501SA View Post
          I am a DS Agent with a BS in Environmental Biology and MS in CJ. Any idea if Colorado will be hiring anytime in the near future? Thanks
          I've been looking on USAJOBS for about two years for FS LE Officer gigs and I can't remember any being from Colorado. It seems like many of the openings are usually in Cali, Oregon, or Washington. Thats just my opinion though. Within the past month jobs in North Dakota, Montana, and Cali closed...

It probably would take applying to a less desireable location to work your way up to Colorado..

Comment

As far as openings go, each ranger district typicaly has one LEO. So, when someone retires/moves on the opening is then made available. I cannot speak for the entire agency but in my region we are not opening any new positions due to budget shortfalls and we are only filling vacancies as LEOs retire or move on. If you see an opening on AVUEcentral look for the POC listed which is typically the Patrol Captain who will be the one doing the hiring. Give them a call and sell yourself so that way when they see your application (if your app makes the referal list) they can place a face to a name. Also, go on a few ride alongs if possible so that way you know what the agency does and does not do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10846 users online. 387 members and 10459 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X