300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Marsals Lateral

Wow, after applying and interviewing back in '07 the USMS contacted me today about a tentative offer. Anyone else receive one?

Anybody know if CITP grads/1811's go through an abreviated academy?

Originally posted by renalder View Post
    Wow, after applying and interviewing back in '07 the USMS contacted me today about a tentative offer. Anyone else receive one?

Anybody know if CITP grads/1811's go through an abreviated academy?
    You would only have to attend DUSM

Comment

I'm curious how did they contact you. I applied and completed the process for several agencies a year and a half ago. I have since moved a couple of times. Did the USMS call you or was it fedex?

Comment

It was by regular mail. I thought it was a thin letter because it was only (1) sheet. They sent me a letter a while back asking if I was still interested/

Comment

It was by regular mail. I thought it was a thin letter because it was only (1) sheet. They sent me a letter a while back asking if I was still interested/

Comment

Want to go DS to USMS...

How did you guys apply? Individual offices or their HR? I am a DS agent and want to apply- they dont seem to be taking any for now.
            Thanks

Comment

If a 1811 from another agency would transfer to USMS would that person have to put in the same amount of years as new hires doing court security or would that person be able to join one of the fugitive task forces right from the beginning?

Comment

Most likely you would have to pay your dues and do your time in court. I can say your experience matters to some degree, but in the USMS, a lot of emphasis is put on your time in the agency.

Comment

To become a member of a specialty area ie: task force, Witsec, OPI, JSI etc, you will have to take the USMS promotion test and submit a promotion package. The package consists of USMS experience at the district level- about 5 or 6 areas, you also get points for training (both withiin USMS and out- must be relevant though) education (Associate, bachelors, doctorate) and USMS awards (each year districts give out awards (time off, cash, Director's Award etc) The test is given every 2 years, usually in December or November (based on USMS policy and procedures). Once these are completed you are ranked on a national registry. A vacancy opens- you submit your application- you are one of the top 5 candidates (or not) - the Marshal (and Chief) make the selection-this procedure also goes for the task forces. So, hang in there- stay fit and good luck.
                  Last edited by DUSM1811; 02-11-2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

DUSM1811 is totally on point concerning merit promotions, etc. I was referring more to the in-district moves, like getting on a warrant squad or going to a threats position, which is within the discretion of the district. I hope this helps.
                    Last edited by USMS08610083; 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

You're also right. Each district has their own task forces and depending on the district-they may leave you alone to work your warrants or if there is court guess who's going to be working it? Not all districts can afford to have full time task forces.

By all means, once you become a DUSM experience all job descriptions- not only does it help with your package but it also exposes you to areas that may interest you more. Don't lock youself into one job (without getting overall exeperience) because for promotions within the USMS you'll need a wide range of experience.

Comment

Thanks for the information. By the way, what does JSI and OPI stand for?

Comment

Exactly. Depending on the size of your district and personnel available will also determine your experience. In a large office, if say you are on the local task force you will work mostly that. If there is a shortage in operations on any given day, you can count on be called back to help out once in awhile. This won't happen in a case where you are an Inspector and work for a RFTF.

JSI-Judicial Security Inspector and OPI- Office of Protective Intelligence

Comment

JSI- Judicial Security Inspector (GS-13 Judicial protection)
                            OPI- Office of Protective Intelligence ( District Threat Investigator DTI)(GS-13 Investigates threats toward the judiciary)

Comment

Anybody hear back from USMS from the lateral letters that went out last month? Nothing here

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5138 users online. 238 members and 4900 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X