300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
    Good thing I don't work nearly as hard as the average border patrol agent .

This may come as a stunning revelation, but "most 1811 jobs" allow you to "sit on your ***" as much or as little as you want to. It's up to the individual to get out in the field or choose the desk. Paperwork doesn't necessarily have to rule the game; some agents just end up letting it.
    Not saying you are a lazy bunch but long term investigations are not about foot chases and FTYs on the freeway. And we don't ask the ausa if its ok to make an arrest. We just do it.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
      And we don't ask the ausa if its ok to make an arrest.
      Because USBP, as an agency, supports you doing so (which makes perfect sense as a street-level patrol agency). Not so for many 1811 agencies, they want the AUSA driving the ship, not that that's a bad thing in itself. It's not the fault of the agent working the case as much as it is the culture and accepted way of doing business for 1811 investigations.

If you think having the ability to make arrests without an AUSA's blessing makes you "better" or helps you sleep at night, more power to you, we'll just agree to disagree.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
        Because USBP, as an agency, supports you doing so (which makes perfect sense as a street-level patrol agency). Not so for many 1811 agencies, they want the AUSA driving the ship, not that that's a bad thing in itself. It's not the fault of the agent working the case as much as it is the culture and accepted way of doing business for 1811 investigations.

It is a problem when the ausa wants a 90%+ conviction rate.

If you think having the ability to make arrests without an AUSA's blessing makes you "better" or helps you sleep at night, more power to you, we'll just agree to disagree.
        Yes we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
          I think with the "training" and internship experience the original poster has had, he'll be a shoe-in for the Fast Action Response Team. Those FART teams are a silent but deadly group.
          Now that's funny right there.....!!!

Seriously, it's a good thing to have goals and such. A career in federal LE is a an honorable and challenging move.

I can speak from experience though...Only the US military, with a combat arms MOS, will satisfy your zest for action/travel almost immediately upon completion of your intitial training.

To go into LE, whether it be federal/state or local, and expect to be breaching/banging doors as quickly as if you joined the military, is unrealistic.

As stated, going the LE route, most agencies(fed/state/local) only take the best/brightest/skilled as part of their tac teams. The competition can be brutal, on all levels of LE. And even then, generally speaking, it isn't right out of the academy either. Many prefer seasoned, well rounded, veterans on the team. It could be years before you even get a chance to try out.

And lastly, speaking for my own experiences(local agency tac team), in addition to the work we get from our own agency/narc. sqd/rob. sqd/homicide sqd., and calls for assistance from our patrol division for barricaded subjs. and armed individuals, we do a majority of the state and fed hits in our region as well.

Either way, don't get discouraged..keep the chin up, work hard and keep your eye on the prize......
          Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

Yes we will.
            I've spent quite a while working as an 1811, arresting folks without first speaking with an AUSA....so......yeah....enjoy the X

Comment

. And we don't ask the ausa if its ok to make an arrest. We just do it.
              I'm having difficulty understanding this statement. 1811's can absolutely arrest someone on sight when they have probable cause. Whether the AUSA is willing the file the complaint is another matter which applies to BP arrests as well. It would make no sense for an 1811 conducting an ongoing investigation to arrest the target BEFORE making the sure the AUSA is ready and willing to proceed. You would just blow the case unnecessarily. On the other hand, if a BPA stumbles onto a drug load during a traffic stop or whatever, they really have no choice but to to detain the person at that moment. Two totally different jobs.
              Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by izamsilas View Post
                I've spent quite a while working as an 1811, arresting folks without first speaking with an AUSA....so......yeah....enjoy the X
                I don't sit on a X. I do not work in that type of station. I arrest groups of people many of which have criminal records. The mom and pops don't come anymore. How many people have you arrested this week?
                Last edited by SHU; 02-04-2010, 02:32 AM. Reason: blah blah blah....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9749 users online. 316 members and 9433 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X