300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop to FBI

Hey guys I am not sure if this topic has ever been chosen, but I am wondering what are your experiences for anyone who was a cop and then went to the FBI. How did you make the transition and are you happy with your decision?

What do you like/dislike about being a cop? What do you think you'll like about the FBI?
    It is not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about it is the one that is marked to whom it may concern.

Comment

I asked the same question a few months back. I have been working the road for like 4 years and now in the process for the DEA and the US Marshals.

Most said that it was a positive move, you just have to understand that it will be different style of work. I dont know what capacity you work in (patrol, detective, narc, admin) but if you are patrol like me, there will be a lot more down time. More investigating than go go go. That was the thing I thought I would have a hard time deciding. I like patrol, but I always wanted to work for the Fed's.

Positive thing about the Feds wheater its FBI, DEA, ATF, etc... you will always be going after the heavy hitters. BIG ARRESTS of BAD PEOPLE. Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make.

Comment

Originally posted by Prangler View Post
        BIG ARRESTS of BAD PEOPLE. Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make.
        I had a case where a suspect was a 20 year old girl (no criminal record or prior criminal activity as far as we could tell) who had a fake ID she used to get into bars... not really what I'd call a "big arrest" or a "bad person" by any stretch of the imagination. Federal agencies go after federal crimes, and while many are serious felonies (whether frauds, dope or terrorism), not all of them are.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
          All lies!

Every federal case is uber high speed.

I am sure when you locked up this 20 year old girl, you swooped in on a Black FLETC type chopper, broke through window/door, tossed in a few flash bangs, and then fought off her entire crew that were all heavily armed.

Don't ruin the myth Kimble
          This is the FBI we're talking about. It's all riding roughshod over local hick cops and solving every crime that takes your fancy on or off duty

I could never be a street cop, I have the greatest respect for them and the stuff they have to deal with on a day to day basis but it's really nothing I would want to do. I guess the it's the same for many cops looking at federal positions.

Personally I don't want to be arresting people all the time. Mind you I'm the sap who enjoys doing protective intelligence investigations....
          It is not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about it is the one that is marked to whom it may concern.

Comment

I'd wager there is more talk of local to Fed than Fed to local. I'm interested in feelings about the latter. Sometimes I wonder what going from a Fed gig to a patrol gig would be like.

Comment

some stay and others go back. It depends on the lifestyle you/family prefer.
              +1 1811 to local/state is not as rare as you might think. If you want hot calls, arrests and quick case turnover, you probably won't be happy as an 1811. Federal cases generally take a lot longer and involve more paperwork and hurdles to clear.

And yes, 1811's generally spend more time in the office than local detectives, however it varies by agency. I am an 1811 and I often go several days without seeing my desk.
              Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

I should say I'm coming at this with almost 7 years in as an 1811. I've just been curious about being a big fish in a small pond.

Sorry for the thread diversion.

Comment

suits

DEA, ATF, USMS better bet
                  Last edited by nypdout; 01-28-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

NYPD has some of the best detective in the world!

I worked an UNGA detail and met up w/ a cousin who is a Highway Cop in BK. Some of his buds were NYPD detectives, not typical book smart Ivy Leauge guys but sharp as he!!. Most Feds are not "cops" and most "cops" are not Feds...different type of people for different missions.

If NYPD paid better initially it would be dream job, can't wait 5 years to get good pay and support kids.
                    NYPD has better TV shows then the Feds. :-) Well, the USMS has a good show, but it's in NY city... I started as county L.E. and then went feds for my dream job. I don't miss much, l'll never go back. Good luck...
                    In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Comment

I left Local LE and went to FED LE and have considered going back to Local LE.

Comment

Over 20 years I've worked with a LOT of Federal Agencies. Some good some bad. I ALWAYS try to develop connections and friendships with who ever I work with. Many of the cases the Feds get start on the local level. When guys and gals put aside their personas and reputations and just do good old fashion police work with each other its priceless.
                        Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle

Comment

"I've just been curious about being a big fish in a small pond."

-what do you mean?

Comment

Generally speaking...a local cop is much more the big fish working in a smaller pond. Meaning there is a difference between working a large scale federal investigation and being a first responder, or even working a local theft case or homicide. Things move much faster from my experience, but I've just been curious as to what it'd be like if that was my day to day work.

Comment

ah, i see- thanks for the clarification

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16449 users online. 455 members and 15994 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X