300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPM Background Investigator

Anyone on here ever work as an OPM Background Investigator?

What do you want to know?
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

I applied for the New York based position. Primarily field work I take it? I'm just wondering what the geographic jurisdiction of the position is. I'm thinking it's pretty big.

Comment

Originally posted by DelTron View Post
        I applied for the New York based position. Primarily field work I take it? I'm just wondering what the geographic jurisdiction of the position is. I'm thinking it's pretty big.
        It depends, I have a friend who works for USIS as a contractor and the impression I got from him was that OPM guys got take home vehicles, a laptop and crackberry and worked mainly from home/the person they were investigating's house and they only go into the office for meetings...

Maybe someone else can fill us in if this is correct.
        It is not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about it is the one that is marked to whom it may concern.

Comment

One of the guys I used to work with back home works for them....

08 Impala, laptop/printer, crackberrry that they provide.... and works from home..... He lives about 2 miles from office so he is there a lot....

Lots and lots of volunteer TDY's. He's been to Germany and England thus far....

He loves the job.....

Comment

Originally posted by CWCDiver View Post
            It depends, I have a friend who works for USIS as a contractor and the impression I got from him was that OPM guys got take home vehicles, a laptop and crackberry and worked mainly from home/the person they were investigating's house and they only go into the office for meetings...

Maybe someone else can fill us in if this is correct.
            With the exception of the crackberry and take home, this is pretty much the impression I received from my contacts with OPM. Having the office was a good deal for them, because they didn't have to scramble for a place to conduct interviews if everyone was near the office they could conduct it there. I grew tired of having to scramble for a place to conduct interviews.

If you don't get picked up by OPM, look at USIS as a full time investigator, not a contractor. Their standards are very high and they will teach you the OPM standard and require you to maintain that standard. They also use the exact same computer programs. If you want to do BI's this is a very common way to go. It pads your resume and does nothing but put you in a good spot if you are able to do the job. When I worked for USIS, it seemed where you were assigned determined how good your job was. Some places it was a nightmare, others were heaven. I worked in a very good area. Not too long ago USIS was OPM, but they were spun off in an attempt to cut the budget and protect the integrity of the BI process.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

I see there pay is... PRETTY LOW. Anything else anyone can tell about the position, pay, benefits, or company?
              Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by NJSouth View Post
                I see there pay is... PRETTY LOW. Anything else anyone can tell about the position, pay, benefits, or company?
                http://www.911jobforums.com/showthread.php?t=57114

Pay: Standard GS pay with NO LE add-ons.....it's not a LE job....Mo st start at GS-7.

Benefits: Standard Gov benfits....

Company: US Government. There are companies that hire folks to do the same job.....you're not a GOV employee and you get what benefits that company has.....

You get a take-home vehicle for duty use only, laptop, printer, and you work out of your house.....

This is NOT a LEO position which means no weapon/arrest authority.

You strickly do backround checks for the US Gov....for folks wanting to gain employment with US Gov (to include military) and/or upgrade their clearances....

Comment

Usually low pay contract positions.

Comment

They are short people, I have a buddy who works for them in Denver, and he is on a 90 day TDY to the DC area because they are so short of investigators in the DC region.

It is a no gun, no LE authority, and you basically do interviews and computerized backgrounds on Federal employees, military and contractors.

A bunch of guys from me dept have gone there as a retirement job, they are happy... but it is NOT POLICE or INVESTIGATIVE WORK in the true sense of the word.

Comment

I worked for USIS for a while. If you have any questions about the job just PM me. It is a great job for some and others find it miserable, but that is to be expected.

Comment

About 2 weeks after my BI interview, my BI was kidnapped while conducting backgrounds over in the sand box. He made it through a 22 year career with the FBI only to be killed doing background investigations.

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
                          They are short people
                          What are their height requirements?

Comment

Holy Crap...

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                            About 2 weeks after my BI interview, my BI was kidnapped while conducting backgrounds over in the sand box. He made it through a 22 year career with the FBI only to be killed doing background investigations.
                            Holy crap ...thats horrible. Sorry to hear.
                            Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by NJSouth View Post
                              Pretty low compared to what? Company? What company? It's the OPM, the Federal Government’s HRM, they process the hiring for other Federal Agencies. With the high percentage of unemployment these days, would you work for $9/hour or take a GS-7 job as an Investigator? Its a GS scale position with advancement to GS-12. Perfect position for someone who is tired of the uniform and carrying a weapon.

This from the USA jobs:

Job Title: Background Investigator
                              Agency: Office Of Personnel Management
                              Job Announcement Number: 10-140-DWP

SALARY RANGE: 38,790.00 - 50,431.00 USD /year
                              OPEN PERIOD: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                              SERIES & GRADE: GS-1810-07
                              POSITION INFORMATION: Full TimeCareer/Career Conditional
                              PROMOTION POTENTIAL: 12

So, if you are a GS-9 or GS-11 they will have to match your salary, therefore I believe it's a pretty good gig
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12043 users online. 481 members and 11562 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X