Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHU View Post
    Usually low pay contract positions.
    I bet that old guy who came out to you (if you ever applied for a Federal Job)... makes more money than most people you know. People should read up on things before posting ridiculous statements.
    sigpic

Comment

My impression is that it is a generally boring job with regular pay and benies. They do a lot of driving and talk to a lot of people (they stop by here pretty regularly) and do a lot of paper. I would view it as a steady job with insurance and retirement benefits (which is a lot more than a lot of folks have right now).

Comment

Most Investigators I have encountered from OPM were retired FBI agents. Boring? Most definitely. Are they important when it comes to someone's career ? You bet your ***. Their report is the key for anyone's entrance through the Federal door.
        sigpic

Comment

This is what I can say about the job, just like anything else there are good and bad aspects of the job. On the positive end, you start as a GS-7 or GS-9 the following year you got to a GS-9 or GS-11, and the following year you go to a GS-11 or GS-12 bearing you do your job properly. I started as a GS-7 and three years later I was a GS-12 which is better than a lot of FLE uniformed positions (over $70k after you add the locality pay). You make your own schedule, work independently mostly out of your home, which could be a good or bad thing. You get a government vehicle for business purposes only, laptop, cellphone, creds, but no weapon. It is most defenitely investigative work hence the 1810 series and title of investigator. You are not doing criminal investigations, it's either background investigations for national security or public trust positions within the Gov't and military. We at OPM Federal Investigative Services Division (which is a federal agency not a private company) conduct white yankee cases as well as suitability investigations which are used to either deny or remove an individual from their position within a federal agency or contract company. The job can be boring at times when it comes to verifying information, but it is what you make of it. Also, your performance is measured by your quality and productivity which can be stressful and frustrating. IT IS NOT a law enforcement job, but you can form some great contacts and get into some interesting things while conducting background investigations including criminal, counter intelligence and terrorist activities which are later referred to the apropriate authorities. We are considered the first line of defense, by ensuring that the right people get into the right positions. It comes down to preference, most people love the job because of the good pay, benefits, job security with the Gov't and flexibility of the job, specially if you have a family. If you want to carry a weapon and kick in doors, well this may not be the job for you, but could provide some good experience. I hope this help, if you have any further questions feel free to send me a PM.

Comment

This was a great post. Thanks.

Originally posted by AEF215 View Post
            This is what I can say about the job, just like anything else there are good and bad aspects of the job. On the positive end, you start as a GS-7 or GS-9 the following year you got to a GS-9 or GS-11, and the following year you go to a GS-11 or GS-12 bearing you do your job properly. I started as a GS-7 and three years later I was a GS-12 which is better than a lot of FLE uniformed positions (over $70k after you add the locality pay). You make your own schedule, work independently mostly out of your home, which could be a good or bad thing. You get a government vehicle for business purposes only, laptop, cellphone, creds, but no weapon. It is most defenitely investigative work hence the 1810 series and title of investigator. You are not doing criminal investigations, it's either background investigations for national security or public trust positions within the Gov't and military. We at OPM Federal Investigative Services Division (which is a federal agency not a private company) conduct white yankee cases as well as suitability investigations which are used to either deny or remove an individual from their position within a federal agency or contract company. The job can be boring at times when it comes to verifying information, but it is what you make of it. Also, your performance is measured by your quality and productivity which can be stressful and frustrating. IT IS NOT a law enforcement job, but you can form some great contacts and get into some interesting things while conducting background investigations including criminal, counter intelligence and terrorist activities which are later referred to the apropriate authorities. We are considered the first line of defense, by ensuring that the right people get into the right positions. It comes down to preference, most people love the job because of the good pay, benefits, job security with the Gov't and flexibility of the job, specially if you have a family. If you want to carry a weapon and kick in doors, well this may not be the job for you, but could provide some good experience. I hope this help, if you have any further questions feel free to send me a PM.
            "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

Originally posted by AEF215 View Post
              I am interested in this position for my wife. I've heard there were positions in Texas but I can never find them. Can you help me out?
              "I'll be your Huckleberry." - Doc Holiday -

Comment

Originally posted by jayroca26 View Post
                I am interested in this position for my wife. I've heard there were positions in Texas but I can never find them. Can you help me out?
                A. Either go to USAJOBs and search for 1810 positions....

B. Check with USIS, Kroll (which Changed it's name to Breakpoint), Mantech, or several other Military Contractors (monster.com and careerbuilder.com is where they normally post their openings) that do them outsourced for OPM...... The biggest issue with most of those is they want folks already credentialed or had been in the past.......

Best bet it to keep looking on USAJOBs....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                  Kroll (which Changed it's name to Breakpoint)
                  Keypoint

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Foiliage View Post
                    Keypoint
                    Thanks....I was close.... I think if you google Kroll it still comes up because part of their area is still called that.....

Comment

Ah, gotcha. No worries. If anything, it got me out of the lurker attic.

Comment

Just wanted to throw my .02 cents in, but here's a link that commonly gets passed around when USIS is mentioned. I just think someone should be aware before applying to this company on some of the things they may have to deal with. I personally have never worked as an employee for USIS and have the opportunity to work with several great contractors from USIS and Kroll (now Keypoint). I've also done quite a few of their background investigations when being brought into these positions. They were all professional and seemed to enjoy their work. I don't know their pay. Understand that even though federal investigators are rated on their productivity, the contracted companies are "for profit" companies and therefore maintain a lot of focus on quality and productivity - just like any business.

http://www.jobvent.com/usis-job-reviews-C7137

Ultimately, a lot of how much satisfaction and such that you get out of a job is related to what you bring to it - such as having a good attitude and being a team player. I don't have anything against USIS or any other contract company out there, just understand their rules might be a little different than you could expect on the federal side. (And for what it's worth, I believe USIS is the largest contract holder and so it may be easier to find employment with them.)
                        Last edited by thebonekracker; 02-14-2010, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Wow... that was kind of eye opening.
                          Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle

Comment

Remember USIS is a very large company that covers pretty much the whole US. Many areas are horrible, but many are not.. The people who like the job are not likely to comment or even seek out that website. When I worked for them I loved the job. Then again my area had many targets. We could literally conduct four or five full SSBI personal interviews in a day without any problem. The follow up interviews and data collection took a bit longer, but even still with proper planning we could easily start and complete three or four SSBI investigations in a week. It was very easy for us to meet and surpass quota, since it was figured for the district, although that might have changed since I worked there. We were an anomaly even in our own district. We could literally drive from the eastern to the western border of our area in less than two hours. From the eastern most courthouse to the western most courthouse was less than an hour and 15 minutes. From the southern border to the northern border took about 1.5 hours. In this small area we had three military installations, about ten government contractors, and several government agencies.

We had an outstanding team leader who's idea of yelling at us was, "could you work on getting more done, please." Our district manager, who happened to be from the area, believed that unless we were trying for a promotion giving more than 40 hours worth of work was a waste. If the quota was 4 testimonies per day give 4.5 to 5 testimonies per day, if you are looking for a promotion. Anything more is giving your time and energy away for free.
                            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Can anyone advise if the OPM hires retired Police Officers or do they only hire individuals with the specific title of "Investigator". Such as Insurance claims etc...?

Comment

OPM does hired retired police officers and others. Private companies that conduct investigations under contract for OPM also hire retired police officers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7720 users online. 333 members and 7387 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X