300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DUSM1811 View Post
    In response to irishleo- USMS HR is towing the line. What they told you is what they are supposed to tell you. Actually, I'm surprised they told you anything at all. As for the budget, fy2010 is dead and gone, we are already working on FY2011. Watch the state of the union address and you will get an idea where our budget will be. Managers have already been notifed there will be cuts next year. As for manpower allocation- yes, the southwest, NYC, DC etc will get the most openings. But every region will get positions. I know of at least two region four districts that are working six dusms short. Not to say they'll get sisx slots but they'll get some. What I've said before is- say southern west virgina has an opening- USMS HR sends swv management a list of names- swv management can select anyone they want from that list. They can even request someone not on the list at all. The district Marshal has a tremendous amount of say who comes into his district. I have been a DUSM for 23 years and have loved every minute. But, the USMS does what they want to do- if they management want you they will get you no matter where your at on the list. Don't get discouraged-this is the greatest hiring push that I've seen in my entire career. From the figures I've seen- if you've made it through the entire process- you have a good shot at getting a slot SOMEWHERE. Less than a third of those signing up for the informational are making the final cut. Good luck to you all- remember there is one class in March and two in April.
    DUSM1811 can you tell me/us what districts are in need of DUSM. You can PM if you want.

Comment

Id also like to know what regions are in need if you know DUSM1811

Rider
      "The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end." Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by cpdsullivan117 View Post
        I'm sure there are some non-vet law enforcement officers who risk their lives on a pretty regular basis that might take issue with that assertion (university prestige aside). There hasn't been a draft in quite a while, but anyway.....I'm not really looking to get into a debate on here about that. Thanks for the information chief.
        Simply put, it doesn't matter if you have a masters degree in criminology, 10 years law enforcement experience including 5 years of that on the local US Marshals Task Force, and 5 years experience as an Air marshal, a veteran who meets the minimum qualifications and made it through the process will be picked over you. Even if that veteran has no law enforcement experience and only a high school diploma, and their job in the military was as a cook.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

One might ask whether the university student who did the research to create a more accurate weapons system or more impenetrable armor is worthy of the same consideration as the E1 on the ground in Iraq using these systems. I would say neither... Take either away and the country would be less secure.
          CBPO - Nirgendwo in Amerika

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird View Post
            One might ask whether the university student who did the research to create a more accurate weapons system or more impenetrable armor is worthy of the same consideration as the E1 on the ground in Iraq using these systems. I would say neither... Take either away and the country would be less secure.
            I would agree on a scientific/engineering career applicant pool. But I don't think the U.S. Marshals are into that sort of thing.

Bad analogy.

Firstly, I don't know any E-1s applying for jobs. If you got out of the military as an E-1, then either you were medically retired or were a total scum bag who couldn't get promoted and have a general-other-than-honorable discharge. Second, we all have college degrees.

A workforce of diverse backgrounds is a good thing...but some of us military types have the specialized experience relating to FLEO jobs that you can't get in college or the private sector.

Anywho, lets not get into a grand debate of the civil/military divide. We are all after the same goals here, and more power to whoever gets the job.
            Big Brother is watching

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird View Post
              Want a job in Florida at Pointe Blank Body Armor?? My Brother in Law is their Ballistics Test Lab Manager. I am hoping he will hook me up with a nice vest for a good price.

Like Jarhead said we are all on the same team striving for the same goal! Best of luck everybody.
              Information Session: May 2009
              Interview: Jun 2009
              Medical Cleared: Dec 2009
              BI Cleared: Jan 2010
              Fit: Passed: Jan 2010/Jun 2010
              FLETC: 07/29/2010

"I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon."

President Bush, Sept. 14, 2001, addressing police, firefighters and rescue workers at Ground Zero.

Comment

haha, thought i'd add a little humor here...i think this is the sort of the The Kansan is talking about.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL-OtsN9VdM

Comment

Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                  Even if its a single soldier, he is still away from family. You dont have to be married to feel the impact of moving. In a police department, if you stay late, you get paid. On the fed side, just like in the military, u stay late, tough luck. You might get a little comp time eventually. Moving around doesnt depend on the branch of service because you still had to do basic, specialty training, then your first duty station, so that along is already 3 moves within a year. When it come to deployments, alot of soldiers didnt deploy, but all that has changed since 9/11. The Discipline level doesnt depend on the state, the military play by a different set of rules than local police departments. I certainly feel im entitled to veteran preference especially after going to combat a few times, so I want what I have earned. Its not like us veterans are asking for a handout, we just want what we have earned. Can you say you went to war making $1000 a month? Alot of privates in the military can, and they deserve preference for that. If not for these soldiers that volunteered to go into the military, you probably wouldnt be able to consider applying for a fed law enforcement job because you would had been drafted into the military to serve. All I know is, when I first joined the military, I was making $800 a month, and I sacrificed, and sacrificed to defend this country, so the least the country can do for us is give us preference when it comes to federal employment. The country can take away all the veteran preference they want, as long as they substitute it with a policy that will get all homeless veterans off the street. I am willing to give up any preference I may have for this to happen.
                  I can certainly see both sides of this argument. In NJ, when it comes to state and local police agencies (with the exception of the NJ State Police, who give no veterans preference at all), they don't even feign to have any sort of point system. If you are a vet and you pass the civil service test (score of 70 or higher) you automatically jump ahead of anyone who is not a vet. As a non-vet it was a little frustrating, but when it comes to Federal Employment, I tend to think its a little more appropriate to do something like that. If you served your country here or especially abroad, then your country should take care of you when you get back. Locally, though, I don't quite see the point. Although a military background is great experience for any law enforcement job, we all know that there are just as many idiots in the military as who are not, all experience aside. I know some vets who are terrible cops. I know some non vets who are great cops and vice versa. In the end, on the local level I think it should just be considered among all of your other life experiences as opposed to putting you right at the top of the list. That being said, I'd rather vets get put at the top of the list than get no preference at all. So it is what it is. Just my opinion.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8240 users online. 183 members and 8057 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X