300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions?

My nephew is 18 and currently going to college minoring in criminal justice and majoring in accounting. He wants a good job to lead into a career in law enforcement. I told him I would get back to him on suggestions. I was thinking something like security/loss prevention someplace. What do you guys think??

Originally posted by camg550 View Post
    My nephew is 18 and currently going to college minoring in criminal justice and majoring in accounting. He wants a good job to lead into a career in law enforcement. I told him I would get back to him on suggestions. I was thinking something like security/loss prevention someplace. What do you guys think??
    He can apply for internships with various Federal Agencies. Also if he is planning to use his accounting to springboard into a FLEO position, there is no substitute for experience. If he can get an internship as an auditor, it will greatly help out. Plus most FLE agencies want 3 years of work experience if using accounting as a critical skill during an application process. There is really no magic formula. Just have to start building experience.
    CBPO East Texas
    TO: 3/3/09
    Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
    Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
    Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
    VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
    Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
    Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
    BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
    TSU: 8/27/09
    FCRA: 05/19/10
    BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

I would tell him to look into a internship with IRS CI. CI is a 1811 FLEO position, and being a CO-OP gets him a ticket to FLETC pretty fast, which can be a big advantage due to the limited class spaces available.

The CO-OP route is very competative, and the positions are very limited, but if He is lucky enough to snag one, he will be set.

Comment

With his major/minor- internship with IRS.

A part time job in an accounting capacity wouldn't hurt either.

Other good agencies for internships for an accounting major would be USSS and FBI.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I would have to agree with the previous post. He should look into federal internships. Have him talk to the career services person at the college and they should be able to provide some assistance to him.

Rider
          "The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end." Genghis Khan

Comment

I think loss prevention would provide some decent experience. Make sure it is a plain clothes position though, it will teach him how to deal with different types of criminals and also build relationships with the local law enforcement where he works. It will give him a good taste of what law enforcement is like and if he really wants that type of career.

Comment

http://www.goarmy.com/
              "What the problem is?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19094 users online. 383 members and 18711 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X