300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I even have a chance?

My career goal is to go into natural resources law enforcement. I am currently a junior in college working towards my bachelors degree in CJ and will graduate at the end of the year. I have worked for my state's alcohol enforcement agency for about three years in an non-sworn positioned where I worked undercover with state alcohol officers. I have also spent the past two summers working for a fed natural resources law enforcement agency. I have gone on about 200 hours of ride alongs with state game wardens, USFS officers and BLM rangers.

As some of you might know the USFWS just posted a vacancy announcement for USFWS Refuge officers at the GS 5/7 level today. I'm not a veteran so I dont have any vet points. Should I even apply or would it just be a waste of time? I know these NR LE positions are pretty competitive.

There is a difference between vet preference and vet points. If the announcement says they will give preference to vet's, they will considered first for the position. But like many other announcements, points for vet will give them an extra 5 points after they submit their answers. You'll never find out until you apply. Good luck!

Comment

Yes, you do have a chance. A good chance. However, I put five years in corrections before I got a job as a police officer with a dept. I did not want to work at. My dream job was federal land management/natural resource L.E. With military/vet-points, and years of L.E. Experience, it still took me five more years to get a fed. land management L.E. Job with an agency other then my first choice and in a state I didn't wish to live.

I only tell you this to let you know it can take time. The key, NEVER give up. Keep putting your applications in and never give up. How bad is your desire to get into a N/R law enforcement? I took LE jobs in locations I didn't want and moved several times before landing my dream job and state (just got it!). In short, don't give up. Good luck...
      In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
        Should I even apply or would it just be a waste of time? I know these NR LE positions are pretty competitive.
        The odds of winning the Power Ball are slim too, but at least I have a chance if I buy a ticket. You know what I mean?

Sounds like you have a good strong resume for the position. Absolutely submit your package. Worst they can do is say we went with someone else and you don't even get that if you don't try.
        CBPO East Texas
        TO: 3/3/09
        Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
        Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
        Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
        VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
        Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
        Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
        BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
        TSU: 8/27/09
        FCRA: 05/19/10
        BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

You never know until you try, don't sell yourself sort before you even hit print. Have you written a resume? Have the officers you worked with over the last few years told you what you need to do to become competitive? I would recommend doing 4 in the military, the VA preference is money and the experiences you will gain are a once and a lifetime opportunity. It will also build up that wavering confidence level that I caught wind of in your post.

Comment

My high school basketball coach always used to say, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Comment

I wasnt even looking for a Natural FED LE job but, ding ding ding i applied and cant complain. They chose me, i was actually looking at going to another local LE Pd. So go ahead and apply and see what happens worst case scenario they will say no.....good Luck

Comment

Is this considered to be an 1811 position? Does it get LEAP?
                ICE SA:
                Applied: June 2009
                Test: July 2009
                NOR: 96
                SI/Writing Test: March 3, 2010
                NOR: April 29, Pass
                TO: 5/24/10
                Medical: 6/28
                Drug: 6/28
                Background:

Also applied:
                DEA
                ATF
                NCIS
                DCIS
                HHS OIG

Comment

Originally posted by chrisc133 View Post
                  Is this considered to be an 1811 position? Does it get LEAP?
                  It's an 0025 position. It doesn't get LEAP, most officers however do get AUO.

Comment

Originally posted by five04zog View Post
                    How bad is your desire to get into a N/R law enforcement? I took LE jobs in locations I didn't want and moved several times before landing my dream job and state (just got it!). In short, don't give up. Good luck...
                    I have a lot of desire to work NR LE, it's basically all I have ever wanted to do. I know that I am going to have to take some jobs in locations that I would prefer to not work at to eventually get to the more lucrative positions for myself.

Can I ask which agency you work for and where??

Comment

Does anyone know where these position (s) are going to be filled at?? Locationwise??? fiveozg?? maybe you can answer.

I have been referred to the hiring panel twice, but both times have been turned down. Both times, I was told they can NOT hire an non-vet over veteran. I don't have any problem with that as they sacrifice a lot more than the average individual. I am a current FED LEO.

Other times, I haven't even made it to the panel. I have no idea why this happens.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Give it a shot.

Comment

[QUOTE=wildlife97;2173628]I have a lot of desire to work NR LE, it's basically all I have ever wanted to do. I know that I am going to have to take some jobs in locations that I would prefer to not work at to eventually get to the more lucrative positions for myself.

Can I ask which agency you work for and where??[/QUOTE

I'm currently with the USFWS in AZ. Next month I start with the USFS in Oregon (dream agency & area). USFWS has been good to me. They will have two new slots open in Western AZ soon if anyone is interested. One journeyman and one training slot.

Comment

LMPT 905 rules! :-)

Comment

Do I even have a chance?
                              Give it a shot - you always have a chance. Just know that you'll probably be competing against not only vets, but a LOT of Border Patrol agents (many of whom are also vets) and people with a lot of state/local experience. I knew one person hired as a Refuge Officer who had 11 years as a state trooper.

There's a lot to be said about applying for a job and not being selected; the more you do that, the more you might make yourself (and your persistence/desire) known to the hiring agency.
                              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13540 users online. 381 members and 13159 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X