300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1811 Armed vs Unarmed

Are all 1811 positions armed? I've been looking at 1801 and 1811 jobs - how does one determine if they are sworn, armed LEO's?
    It is far better to remain silent and appear foolish, than to speak and remove all doubt.

- Abraham Lincoln

The vast majority of 1811's are armed but not all. I think there are some that are armed on-duty only. 1801's are usually not armed in my experience but I'm sure there are some that are.

If it is not clear from the job announcement the only way to really know is ask someone already on the job.
    Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

The easiest way to find out is by doing some research on the agency and the positions. Many times when you are reading through a job description, you will see something like this:

Carry and use a firearm. Maintaining firearm proficiency is also mandatory. You will be ineligible to occupy this position if at any time you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, unless you received a pardon or your conviction was expunged or set aside.
      Also look for this:

Be between the ages of 21 and less than 37 at the time of appointment (unless you have previous service in a Federal Civilian Law Enforcement position covered by special civil service retirement provisions, including early or mandatory retirement or are a veteran.
      Most federal law enforcement positions will say something similar to the above.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Some Federal 1811 positions, such as CIA Office of Inspector General and DIA 1811's are investigators by trade and series, but are not authorized to carry. They generally will not earn LEAP either, which also delineates a sworn 1811 from those not authorized to carry

Comment

Originally posted by keydet View Post
          Some Federal 1811 positions, such as CIA Office of Inspector General and DIA 1811's are investigators by trade and series, but are not authorized to carry. They generally will not earn LEAP either, which also delineates a sworn 1811 from those not authorized to carry
          I do not believe that the Investigator/Special Agent for the CIA is an 1811 series position. It even states on the website that it is SIMILAR to the Special Agent 1811 series...

Comment

AOC IG 1811's are not armed nor are LOC IG 1811's.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
              I do not believe that the Investigator/Special Agent for the CIA is an 1811 series position. It even states on the website that it is SIMILAR to the Special Agent 1811 series...
              That's correct. While both NSA and DIA have 1811 investigators, CIA does not. CIA's OIG investigators do have the title "Special Agent," but they are not 1811's (I know, doesn't make sense to me either if they are OIG agents, but it is what it is).
              sigpic

Comment

I am currently an 1801 (unarmed) and I work with 1801's and who are...

Comment

After LEOSA(Hr 218) There is no such thing as unarmed LEO's. If you carry and are qualified with a weapon and have arrest powers you are good to go.
                  Abraham Lincoln:Nowhere in the world is presented a government of so much liberty and equality. To the humblest and poorest amongst us are held out the highest privileges and positions. The present moment finds me at the White House, yet there is as good a chance for your children as there was for my father's.
                  --August 31, 1864 Speech to 148th Ohio Regiment

Comment

Originally posted by nycfed View Post
                    After LEOSA(Hr 218) There is no such thing as unarmed LEO's. If you carry and are qualified with a weapon and have arrest powers you are good to go.
                    Last time I checked, there are still agencies which do not arm their personnel on duty at the federal level.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
                      The vast majority of 1811's are armed but not all. I think there are some that are armed on-duty only. 1801's are usually not armed in my experience but I'm sure there are some that are.

If it is not clear from the job announcement the only way to really know is ask someone already on the job.
                      And most of DRO are 1801's.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Not quite that simple - and LEOSA does not apply to on duty situations which are strictly regulated by the agency.
                        They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                          And most of DRO are 1801's.
                          You're right, I really should have remembered that.
                          Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

If a job is asking me to roll up to a spot without a weapon I would seriously consider staying at that job. It may be a foot in but your life is not worth it in the trade.

Im shocked that there are agencies that prohibit on duty carry for enforcement and investigation.

Im going to go to a location at 6am without a weapon? me dont think so.
                            Abraham Lincoln:Nowhere in the world is presented a government of so much liberty and equality. To the humblest and poorest amongst us are held out the highest privileges and positions. The present moment finds me at the White House, yet there is as good a chance for your children as there was for my father's.
                            --August 31, 1864 Speech to 148th Ohio Regiment

Comment

If a job is asking me to roll up to a spot without a weapon I would seriously consider staying at that job. It may be a foot in but your life is not worth it in the trade.

Im shocked that there are agencies that prohibit on duty carry for enforcement and investigation.

Im going to go to a location at 6am without a weapon? me dont think so.
                              I don't think the unarmed 1811 positions do any substantive enforcement actions. I REALLY don't think any agency would expect an agent to make arrests and conduct search warrants unarmed. The unarmed agencies probably do more administrative investigations and not very much criminal. I would imagine if they got anything that really needed enforcement action they would bring in another agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9329 users online. 466 members and 8863 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X