300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Disqualifyers

I am in the process for several Federal jobs (1811 and 1801). What are the main medical disqualifyers for these jobs? I have Gout. Is that a major disqualifyer or is that waiverable?

Thanks for the responses.

Originally posted by usmcvet View Post
    I am in the process for several Federal jobs (1811 and 1801). What are the main medical disqualifyers for these jobs? I have Gout. Is that a major disqualifyer or is that waiverable?

Thanks for the responses.
    I don't know the symptoms of gout, but the only reason you can be disqualified is if the issue prevents you from performing you job. The standard for civil service is a lot lower than the military standard. I had to go to my doctor because I had a dime sized scar on my neck and I have a bunion on my foot (I am medically disqualified for the military for GERD). The first question after the list of required duties for the doctor was, "Do the issues interfere with the performance of the listed duties?" The doctor had a good laugh about the scar. The only thing it did was itch.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
      The standard for civil service is a lot lower than the military standard.
      Thanks, this gives me some hope.

Comment

Med

Okay I have one better than that, I had a C-section with both my kids and I had to go to my OBY and have them fill out the same paperwork.

What I was told is that the computer checks the first round of medical and everything you check yes on you will get a follow up forms from medical in Dallas and have to go to the doctor. So stater getting your medical files together. And if you think the thing are going slow wait untill Dallas Medical get your stuff

I was sent back for PT (the dummy kick my ***) and I have been sent for a full medical review I should had went back in Sept. and as of last week still not cleared. So I training like I'm going in two weeks.

Comment

I had my asthma and lasik eye surgery flagged by ICE.

LASIK was easy, it just had to be X period beyond the surgey and the doc had to fill out a form

For asthma I went to a pulmonologist who did a whole series of respiratory tests and proved categorically that I do not have asthma any more.

Comment

Glad this thread was posted. Has anyone had any issues with herniated disc's in their back that disqualified them?

Comment

I have a friend with gout and every time he eats red meat he can not function. I mean unless you plan on sitting around on a surveillance eating steak all day long it should not affect your work! Its not like a ruptured ACL that has never been repaired or anything.

Comment

Standards will vary from agency to agency. They will also depend on the duties and demands of the position in question. (Some investigative positions may be sedentary and have few physical demands while active field positions may be very demanding.)

The following link lists potential medical disqualifiers for most active law enforcement positions in California. Standards for most police jobs are fairly universal throughout the US, so I suspect most agencies will have similar requirements.

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/medical.asp
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomer View Post
                  I have a friend with gout and every time he eats red meat he can not function. I mean unless you plan on sitting around on a surveillance eating steak all day long it should not affect your work! Its not like a ruptured ACL that has never been repaired or anything.
                  Thank you. The reason why I asked is because I was told that the National Guard won't even take me, even to do administrative jobs because of gout. To the National Guard, gout is non-waiverable. I am hoping that the various federal agencies that I've applied for aren't as strict. After all, I haven't had a gout attack in over two years.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    Standards will vary from agency to agency. They will also depend on the duties and demands of the position in question. (Some investigative positions may be sedentary and have few physical demands while active field positions may be very demanding.)

The following link lists potential medical disqualifiers for most active law enforcement positions in California. Standards for most police jobs are fairly universal throughout the US, so I suspect most agencies will have similar requirements.

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/medical.asp
                    Thank you for that L-1. I am diabetic type 1 and had wondered about different agencies/state standards. After reading 40 pages...looks like I am NOT a liability...good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cman21 View Post
                      Glad this thread was posted. Has anyone had any issues with herniated disc's in their back that disqualified them?
                      You will have to see an orthopedic surgeon and have them look at your MRI and assess you after your medical, guaranteed. I believe you will be ok if the herniation has resolved itself.
                      Waiting for "The Date"

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                        Thank you for that L-1. I am diabetic type 1 and had wondered about different agencies/state standards. After reading 40 pages...looks like I am NOT a liability...good to know.
                        I read the Endocrine section a lot differently.

FWIW I have been type II for 10 years. For a varirty of reasons, I have had to us insulin rather than pills since 2004. I know my condition very well and monitor my carbs, blood sugars and insulin like a hawk. Nonetheless, I have had severel unpredictable drops in my blood sugar that momentarily took me out of commission. None incapacitated me (I felt them coming on and got to my sugar in time). But, I had to sit back and take a time out for 10 minutes or so before I was back to normal. If this had happened while I was working in the field or handling a critical incident, it could have been a disaster.

Thankfully I've been retired for several years, so its not an issue. But I would never dream of going back to work in an active field position knowing first hand how this condition can adversely effect job performance.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post

Im type 1 also, j/w in case your BG drops do you keep glucose tabs or something in your pocket?

Comment

Thank you. The reason why I asked is because I was told that the National Guard won't even take me, even to do administrative jobs because of gout. To the National Guard, gout is non-waiverable. I am hoping that the various federal agencies that I've applied for aren't as strict. After all, I haven't had a gout attack in over two years.
                            I had melanoma. Military won't even give me the time of day. AR 40-501 says "skin cancer, other than a history of malignant melanoma, removed with no residual, is not disqualifying." Even HQ MEPS has told me that the size of my initial melanoma is not waiverable. DS cleared me medically in 4 weeks after two followups. One to my oncologist and one to my dermotologist.

Apply and let them say no. I told every doctor within DS that I spoke with that I had melanoma. Nobody cared.

FYI i'm still in the background phase but I did get my medical clearance.

Comment

Something you need to remember is the military is looking out for itself. You might be doing admin work but the possibility is you will deploy. If you need medication down range they cant guarantee they can get it to you. Also VA disability comes in. If they give you a waiver for anything that is considered ground zero. If your pre-existing condition gets worse while performing military service they will have to pay you for the disability and treat it for life. That is why I am no longer qualified for military service due to GERD. The excuse they gave me was they couldn't guarantee they could get the meds down range, even though I can take over the counter meds to handle the issue. The part that really ****es me off is my GERD is caused by a hiatel hernia that was diagnosed while on active duty. The issue didn't disqualify me for a flight physical, but I needed a waiver. Now I can even get in to sweep the floors at the NCO Club. I guess it turned out for the good, because now I'll be making GS-12 pay and love my job.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11012 users online. 393 members and 10619 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X