300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
    True, but that's not saying we are paid poorly, in fact BOP pays a lot higher than other CO jobs. I just don't want to be that GL-08 step 10 after I do my 20 years. There are guys at my facility who have only worked there for 5-6 years who are already topped out in pay. Unless they switch jobs, their pay will be stagnant for the next 15 years except for COLA.

That is why so many BOP people start as CO's then end up as unit managers (GS-12), UNICOR (GS-11 and up), or take one of the much higher paying jobs on the WS pay scale.
    S/O and S/O/S at MDC BK and MCC NY often made more than unit managers when I worked there. 4 or 5 16 hour work days add up to real money after a while. When I worked there I made a killing. The key was to work swings and then do OT on mids. Mids was very relaxing

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
      NY will tax the hell out of your fed pension. NC does not or FL, TX, and others. High tax states like CA and NY would tax a dog's turd if they could. That is a big reason why people move when they retire.
      And yet they still can't fund their enormous liberal welfare programs or manage to a budget.

Comment

NY will tax the hell out of your fed pension.
        Nope. NYS is one state that does NOT tax civil service pensions. http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0413.htm
        They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
          Nope. NYS is one state that does NOT tax civil service pensions. http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0413.htm
          That's great. Gives you 7% extra cash in your pocket.
          Last edited by UAGoalieGuy; 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

S/O and S/O/S at MDC BK and MCC NY often made more than unit managers when I worked there. 4 or 5 16 hour work days add up to real money after a while. When I worked there I made a killing. The key was to work swings and then do OT on mids. Mids was very relaxing
            I don't intend on working 70+ hours a week for the next 20 years, besides as others have mentioned, OT doesn't count toward the amount in your high 3. We have some guys at my facility who cleared nearly 6 figures, but they practically lived at work.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
              I'm surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                I don't intend on working 70+ hours a week for the next 20 years, besides as others have mentioned, OT doesn't count toward the amount in your high 3. We have some guys at my facility who cleared nearly 6 figures, but they practically lived at work.
                You have to kiss *** and live out of a suitcase to promote in the BOP. Leave that gig the first chance you get. I'm VERY happy I left it. I have less stress, supervision and more money with the USBP. Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence. The BOP will eat you alive.

Comment

You have to kiss *** and live out of a suitcase to promote in the BOP. Leave that gig the first chance you get. I'm VERY happy I left it. I have less stress, supervision and more money with the USBP. Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence. The BOP will eat you alive.
                  If not the grass at least the uniform is.
                  But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

No your high 3 includes LEAP.
                    Yup, and something else: locality pay also counts. Unless you live OCONUS, like in Alaska or Hawaii and get COLA instead of locality pay. COLA does NOT count.
                    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                      If not the grass at least the uniform is.
                      The green in the pocket as well as the mean green uniform.

Comment

Well when I retire, assuming I am fortunate enough to get picked up by the USBP this year, I will get 50% if I go til age 57 and buy back my military time. And at the location I picked, assuming again I'm blessed enough to not only get hired but also get my sector, GS 12 step 10 is $97K plus AUO I'll get 50% of $120K+ upon retirement. Including SS and TSP and my relocation to TX I pray I won't have to work again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9009 users online. 272 members and 8737 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X