New Jersey State Police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey State Police

For all those interested in joining the NJSP, as of today January 4th, 2010, applications are now being accepted on their website:
    http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/recruit.html

Their website has several documents outlining what's required, etc.

I'm curious if there are any Troopers who come across this thread to share some information about the NJSP process and current situation in terms of expected class size and when people may be getting called based on completion and acceptance of their application.

Any info is always helpful/appreciated.

Wow... sounds intense... thanks UPonBase, I just checked out that thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
      LOL....I really hope that is not true.

That's not Police training, that is fraternity hazing...there is no room in professional training for that kind of crap.
      It's true, I know a few guy's that went through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
        LOL....I really hope that is not true.

That's not Police training, that is fraternity hazing...there is no room in professional training for that kind of crap.
        All they need now is the fraternity hazing that was caught on the Alabama campus for Sigma Phi Epsilon. They put their pledges on a metal chair with blowtorches or something under them and had them answer questions. People came out with 3rd degree burns.

Comment

Go to njlawman.com, look in the forums section, and there is section devoted to the NJSP. They are the highest paid Troopers in the country, the academy is NO JOKE, are very regimented and paramilitary. Starting salary will be 60K + when they settle their contract. Top step is reached in 10 years, currently 97K, they are out of contract currently since 2008.

As for hazing, no it is not, this is building character, and is rite of passage that EVERY trooper has gone through, and does weed out the recruits who are not cut out to be cops.
          " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

Originally posted by NJLAWMAN214 View Post
            Go to njlawman.com, look in the forums section, and there is section devoted to the NJSP. They are the highest paid Troopers in the country, the academy is NO JOKE, are very regimented and paramilitary. Starting salary will be 60K + when they settle their contract. Top step is reached in 10 years, currently 97K, they are out of contract currently since 2008.

As for hazing, no it is not, this is building character, and is rite of passage that EVERY trooper has gone through, and does weed out the recruits who are not cut out to be cops.
            They also weed out a lotg of people buy paying them $777 every two weeks over the course of 6 months. That is like making $20,000 per year. I guess they don't want anyone with a wife and family who own a house. Remember this is one of the most expensive places to live in the country.

Comment

What shifts do they work? 8's 10's or 12's? also are they rotating or fixed. I could swear I read somewhere its rotating 12's but im not sure.
              "Stuck with the tag until further notice"

Waiting.......would be nice before I was completely gray.

Comment

Rotating 12's.
                We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

i heard corrections go through the same academy i cant belive the academy would be that tough with jailers in there.

Comment

Originally posted by MTBrider View Post
                    i heard corrections go through the same academy i cant belive the academy would be that tough with jailers in there.
                    yeah...ok....ahh you heard wrong.
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Shifts vary, depending on where you work, but 12s are common.

The NJSP train alone, others use the facility but not co-mingled with NJSP.

You will be woken up, if you are not already up on firewatch/patrol of the Army base, or on night radio duty already, for various fire drills and other reasons to sleep deprive you from time to time. Carrying out your mattress/bedding for the 'fire drill' was common and then a room inspection in 15 minutes.

That wasn't so bad, you are always tired, what's the difference ?

The worst I thought was lunch, uniformly bad food/really bad, boiled hot dogs/beans and then right into boxing class with the dogs sitting just ready to chuck ! It was not unusual to have 2 PBJ for breakfast, 2 for lunch, and 3 for dinner and that was that. You can only swallow that "stuff" on a shingle so many days.

Most of the Academy is stress training derived from old USMC Paris Island stuff, but with the ability to go home and quit, which the USMC won't do...

It has been made easier to allow Women to graduate and height/weight standards/minimums have been adjusted to make it easier to get minorities into the Outfit, but lengthing it to 6 months has probably made it just as hard because of the longer time in hell.

The pay is NOT the reason that people leave. You know the pay long before you get to Sea Girt.

Prior to making it easier, it was common for drop out rates around 66 %, now it is lower, but still high. My head instructor; "Attention ! Look to your left, look to your right, remember those faces. If you are still here at graduation, they will be gone !" He was right.

My Academy was at the time the largest with 54 graduates with 150+ starting. From starting with 30,000 taking the written test.

Comment

Originally posted by bluecollar$ View Post
                        yeah...ok....ahh you heard wrong.
                        thats what i thought it didnt seem right

Comment

Just applied...

Planning on going to the info session later this month...
                          Last edited by mjcek; 01-09-2010, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MTBrider View Post
                            NJDOC's academy is held in the same location **Sea Girt** where the NJSP conducts their academy but it is two different classes, training and instructors.
                            We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Anybody know anything about when the written/physical test will be held? Is it staggered at different locations and different times, i.e one test one week, another test at a different site another week?

Reason I ask is I will be deployed till May and I'm hoping I'm not S.O.L for this hiring period. Thanks.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7780 users online. 246 members and 7534 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X