Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEA- Diversion Investigator

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DEA- Diversion Investigator

    http://jobview.usajobs.gov/getjob.as...&rc=7&TabNum=1

    DEA- Diversion investogator.


    SALARY RANGE: 33,477.00 - 53,234.00 USD /year
    OPEN PERIOD: Thursday, December 10, 2009 to Wednesday, December 16, 2009
    SERIES & GRADE: GS-1801-07/09
    POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time Permanent - No time limit
    PROMOTION POTENTIAL: 13
    DUTY LOCATIONS: vacancy(s) in one of the following locations: 100 vacancies - Throughout the Nation

    Question is..... Is this a LE position and does anyone know anything about this position. I understand it is a 1801 position.

    Appreciate your time on it.

  • #2
    Diversion Investigator (DI)
    It is more important than ever for DEA to stay ahead of distribution of illicit sale and abuse of controlled substances. As a Diversion Investigator, you will be responsible for conducting investigations on one of the largest growing drug problems. Since the rise of rogue internet pharmacies, the investigative nature of this work makes it one of today's most interesting and challenging careers available. You will have an excellent opportunity to use your investigative skills and experiences to take appropriate administrative, civil and/or criminal actions against suspected sources and combat an epidemic of significant national importance.

    From the DEA website......

    Comment


    • #3
      Sounds like an interesting job, Wonder what exactly it is, says that its a 1801 designation, so maybe they like the uniform wing of the DEA? When does the job close? I'm assuming you need to apply to the announcement on their website or is up in USAjobs? I hadn't noticed it there.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FinestFish View Post
        so maybe they like the uniform wing of the DEA? When does the job close?
        DEA Diversion Investigators are not uniformed, nor are they sworn LEOs. DEA Special Agents (SA) go after the street drugs, Diversion Investigators go after prescription drugs. They are federal investigators, but do not have arrest authority like DEA agents, do not carry firearms, etc. Similar to a lot of GS-1810 positions in the federal government, that are typically non-LEO general investigative positions. If you're familiar with ATF's internal structure, it's much the same as how ATF Industry Operations Investigators do regulatory investigations, whereas ATF SA's do street-level criminal investigations. There's been a struggle within DEA for some time to make them LEOs, but historically and currently, they are not. Does sound like an interesting job, and important work for sure, but it's not equivalent to being a DEA SA in regards to LE authority.
        Last edited by Kimble; 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow, another FCIP position.
          Double wow: "Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - only the first 400 minimally qualified applications will be considered."
          Timeline:
          3/2002: Phase I - Passed
          7/2007: Phase II - Fail
          12/2009: Phase II - Passed
          12/2009: PFT I - 14
          5/2010: PFT II - 17
          6/2010: Final Offer NAT 10-16

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kimble View Post
            DEA Diversion Investigators are not uniformed, nor are they sworn LEOs. DEA Special Agents (SA) go after the street drugs, Diversion Investigators go after prescription drugs. They are federal investigators, but do not have arrest authority like DEA agents, do not carry firearms, etc. Similar to a lot of GS-1810 positions in the federal government, that are typically non-LEO general investigative positions. If you're familiar with ATF's internal structure, it's much the same as how ATF Industry Operations Investigators do regulatory investigations, whereas ATF SA's do street-level criminal investigations. There's been a struggle within DEA for some time to make them LEOs, but historically and currently, they are not. Does sound like an interesting job, and important work for sure, but it's not equivalent to being a DEA SA in regards to LE authority.
            Kimble, thanks for the good info....

            Im gonna have to pass on a non-LE job....LOL

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FinestFish View Post
              Sounds like an interesting job, Wonder what exactly it is, says that its a 1801 designation, so maybe they like the uniform wing of the DEA? When does the job close? I'm assuming you need to apply to the announcement on their website or is up in USAjobs? I hadn't noticed it there.
              Go to USAJOBS and then find the announcement it will have a link to avuecentral to apply.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hmm, it sounds pretty good, since I want out of LE. Of course I don't want to get out just to do the same thing without a gun and vest though. Is this more whitecollar investigations maybe? The FCIP kinda scares me from what my googlefu is telling me. Can they just say you don't have a job after the 2 years, or that you have one but it is in another state? I really can't do that. I gotta stay here for family.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by memphis PO PO View Post
                  Hmm, it sounds pretty good, since I want out of LE. Of course I don't want to get out just to do the same thing without a gun and vest though. Is this more whitecollar investigations maybe? The FCIP kinda scares me from what my googlefu is telling me. Can they just say you don't have a job after the 2 years, or that you have one but it is in another state? I really can't do that. I gotta stay here for family.
                  Gotcha on this, definately dont wanna quit and then do the same work without a gun and vest in memphis.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by memphis PO PO View Post
                    Hmm, it sounds pretty good, since I want out of LE. Of course I don't want to get out just to do the same thing without a gun and vest though. Is this more whitecollar investigations maybe? The FCIP kinda scares me from what my googlefu is telling me. Can they just say you don't have a job after the 2 years, or that you have one but it is in another state? I really can't do that. I gotta stay here for family.
                    Call the DEA recruiter in your region (for TN, it's going to be in Atlanta: http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/states/atlanta.html) and ask about mobility agreements for DI's. SA's have to sign a mobility agreement, but agents with federal LE agencies typically do so while support staff (which technically a DI is an investigative support member) do not. I know in my agency the non-1811 investigators do not sign mobility agreements, but since I don't work for DEA, best to speak with them directly. I don't know if I can say DI work is "white collar crime," though it could be viewed as such (you're dealing more with pharmacies/stores vice street rats).

                    As far as the FCIP, it means you have a 2-year probationary period. Just like when you got hired by a PD and were on probationary status (usually local LE is for only 1 year), you can be let go more easily when on probation. Doesn't mean once the 2 years is up your job is in jeopardy if you've been doing your job.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                      Call the DEA recruiter in your region (for TN, it's going to be in Atlanta: http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/states/atlanta.html) and ask about mobility agreements for DI's. SA's have to sign a mobility agreement, but agents with federal LE agencies typically do so while support staff (which technically a DI is an investigative support member) do not. I know in my agency the non-1811 investigators do not sign mobility agreements, but since I don't work for DEA, best to speak with them directly. I don't know if I can say DI work is "white collar crime," though it could be viewed as such (you're dealing more with pharmacies/stores vice street rats).

                      As far as the FCIP, it means you have a 2-year probationary period. Just like when you got hired by a PD and were on probationary status (usually local LE is for only 1 year), you can be let go more easily when on probation. Doesn't mean once the 2 years is up your job is in jeopardy if you've been doing your job.

                      Kimble, good info as always...thank you

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Only accepting the first 400 applications and filling 100 spots. Pretty good odds.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Spoke to a recruiter today and he said you do have to sign a mobility agreement, he said training is in Quantico Virginia, he said you must be willing to accept assignment anywhere in the U.S. per needs of the agency. He said they routinely get people who apply, accept, then quit because they are shipped across country and don't get to stay close to home.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ?

                            With the DEA opening up for new apps. in January is this a good idea to apply for?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
                              Only accepting the first 400 applications and filling 100 spots. Pretty good odds.
                              It's the first 400 qualified applicants.

                              I applied, I think I am qualified to get selected to start the process. I'm already in the process for the DEA SA position, I like the organization though and if things don't well with the SA position i'd like to find another way to get in. Everyone in the NYC field office have been great to me throughout the entire hiring process.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4367 users online. 200 members and 4167 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X