Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLE or School?

Whats going on

I have a slight dilemma, I have seen a few post in regards to employment with the Feds and what route to take and so on, just wanted some help and insight in what to do. I am currently going to school I have about 20 credits right now the problem is if I should continue going to school and get my bachelors or should I take a position with the Border Patrol, and/or with DOE nuclear materials courier. I know how important the degree is, but would it be stupid to not take the position, and take the risk of not going back to school. Basically my question is what do you recommend go to school and finish, or take a job offer that presents itself and get my foot in the door/start retirement?

A little background on my self, I was an Infantry Squad Leader in the Marine Corps. I got out as an NCO with deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. 24 years old.

I don't know about NMC, but for many other FLE jobs you're going to need that degree...that background just makes you competitive with about half of us on here.

Comment

I took the jobs and finished my degree while I was working. Took me a while, but I'm now a college graduate. It was a personal preference for me. I applied to a few places before I got to where I am and was offered positions before I had my degree. I had two offers while I was down at FLETC with this job. That's just me now. What works for some may not work for others. These days it does seem degrees are key. But military and LE experience aren't that bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Chuck View Post
        Whats going on

I have a slight dilemma, I have seen a few post in regards to employment with the Feds and what route to take and so on, just wanted some help and insight in what to do. I am currently going to school I have about 20 credits right now the problem is if I should continue going to school and get my bachelors or should I take a position with the Border Patrol, and/or with DOE nuclear materials courier. I know how important the degree is, but would it be stupid to not take the position, and take the risk of not going back to school. Basically my question is what do you recommend go to school and finish, or take a job offer that presents itself and get my foot in the door/start retirement?

A little background on my self, I was an Infantry Squad Leader in the Marine Corps. I got out as an NCO with deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. 24 years old.

Have you considered taking classes online while taking one of those two jobs? If you are moving to a rural place down south that you are not from, you should have plenty of time on your hands. Keep in mind that your first few raises will be huge, so if you take a job like BP that might not be your career goal, you will not be wasting time seeing that you'll be getting your raises in and taking them with you to another position.

The problem with taking a job and ignoring your degree is that the vast majority of fed law enforcement jobs require a degree with the exception of DHS immigration jobs. Reason being is because they have higher turnover and are not typically as desireable. I just worry that you might do this and feel trapped 6 years down the road. You will be incredibly attractive to just about anyone out there with honorable military, a degree and BP experience under your belt. Hope that helps.

Comment

In this economy, if you're offered a job in law enforcement right now, and law enforcement is your goal, you'd be crazy not to take the job. Get done with the academy and FTO, get comfortable, then go back to school.

Right now I work full time and take 6 to 9 credit hours every 8 week semester online. Not easy, but doable.

Comment

Originally posted by ifineed2 View Post
            I don't know about NMC, but for many other FLE jobs you're going to need that degree...that background just makes you competitive with about half of us on here.

The NMC, you wont need a degree with this job, it states that on one of their websites, just 2yrs experience, which you have.

I would suggest escpecially the way the economy is,.take what you can right now, and then enroll in online school and earn your degree that way.

If you do the online route, be aware of crappy online schools, there are plenty of State Colleges that our online programs, that should work for you.

Good Luck

Forgot to add, you would probably like the BP job over the DOE NMC.
            Last edited by DARE_SUPPORTER; 11-10-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Thank you gents I appeciate the help

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4050 users online. 253 members and 3797 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X