Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal Job Question

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Federal Job Question

    Is it helpful to attain a position in a department in which you wish be a law enforcment officer.

    what I mean is if i wanted to be a CBP officer and considering there is no hiring notices for them, would it be helpful to apply for a staff assistant or something to that nature and then would that help when the vacancy comes around again.

    I hope I am making sense here.

  • #2
    No, it wouldn't help. You are talking apples to oranges and getting in as say a CBP officer has distinctly different qualification requirements.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have to disagree with 1811 a bit, in that I would say that it would never hurt to be in the agency. At the bare minimum if you meet the basic quals for the job you want... and you're already experienced with the agency, culture, politics, management, SOPs, etc, etc, when you get to the interview you could provide a unique and more knowledgeable perspective (so long as you don't come across as a know-it-all jack ***). Plus if you network yourself and get some good official or unofficial recommendations from higher ups you might get an edge.

      Bottom line... if you've got to get a job anyway it can't hurt to get a civilian job where you want to be an LE. Heck you might even find out that you don't want to be an LE there!

      Comment


      • #4
        It never hurts to have 'status' already when applying for Federal jobs either. Depending on the announcement type it sets you ahead of many potential applicants from the get go.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Fed0080 View Post
          I have to disagree with 1811 a bit, in that I would say that it would never hurt to be in the agency. At the bare minimum if you meet the basic quals for the job you want... and you're already experienced with the agency, culture, politics, management, SOPs, etc, etc, when you get to the interview you could provide a unique and more knowledgeable perspective (so long as you don't come across as a know-it-all jack ***). Plus if you network yourself and get some good official or unofficial recommendations from higher ups you might get an edge.

          Bottom line... if you've got to get a job anyway it can't hurt to get a civilian job where you want to be an LE. Heck you might even find out that you don't want to be an LE there!

          What 1811 position have you seen where status applicants get points? I have yet to come accross one. Also, being a program analyst isn't going to do much to get you in as an 1811. We can agree to disagree here.

          Though, if you need a job anyway, being a fed is a good gig and will give you resume experience. My thoughts have always been that you should take a job that you can see yourself doing years later, not one you think you are going to hop in and out of because you never know what's going to happen.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
            What 1811 position have you seen where status applicants get points? I have yet to come accross one.
            http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...5+07%3a51%3a00

            Who May Apply:

            1. Current permanent Federal employees with competitive status or former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility;

            2. Current Federal employees in excepted service positions covered by an interchange agreement;

            3. Individuals eligible for:

            * the HUD Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP);

            * the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP);

            * noncompetitive appointment under authorities such as the Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA), disabled individuals, returned volunteers from the Peace Corps or VISTA, etc;

            * HUD-OIG employees currently serving on a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA).



            For more information Veterans' programs, please see the VetsInfo Guide.

            OR

            Individuals from any commuting area eligible for the HUD OIG Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP);

            Individuals from any commuting area eligible for the Veteran's Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA). This applies to veterans with preference or veterans separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after substantially completing 3 years or more of continuous active service.
            I have come across a few positions like this. Entry level 1811 positions that are only open to status candidates. This is part of the reason I took a position with the BOP.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


            BOP - BPA - ICE

            Comment


            • #7
              Um...what he said. Status applicants typically have an advantage over non-status applicants depending on the job announcement itself. This happens more often than not dude whether its an 1811 position or not. As a federal employee you should know this...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                What 1811 position have you seen where status applicants get points? I have yet to come accross one. Also, being a program analyst isn't going to do much to get you in as an 1811. We can agree to disagree here.

                Though, if you need a job anyway, being a fed is a good gig and will give you resume experience. My thoughts have always been that you should take a job that you can see yourself doing years later, not one you think you are going to hop in and out of because you never know what's going to happen.
                1811orBust, I dont think you know the way this federal thing work, and thats disturbing, considering you say you work in a fed agency now. I guess since you're not in a fed LE agency, you might not understand. But like one of the other posters said, if its a vacancy open for status canidates only, if you're not currently a federal employee, you cant apply for that position basically. It will never hurt a applicant to take a lesser job in a agency he will like to work for. Thats like someone wanting to be an 1811 with ICE, but he took a IEA position just to get his foot in the door, if he applied for the 1811 position later guess what, thats (1) experience (2) federal time being served (3) no background check needed (which is a major plus) (4) already contributing towards retirement, and many more advantages to taking a lesser job (federal) to get your foot in the door. Now the part about no background check needed is not a guarantee, but normally if its within the same agency, normally you will not have to get another one done unless its time for another background investigation
                God Bless America

                101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

                ICE 1811
                Applied: 6/22/09
                Exam: 7/24/2009
                SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                The Call: October 26, 2010
                PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                  Now the part about no background check needed is not a guarantee, but normally if its within the same agency, normally you will not have to get another one done unless its time for another background investigation
                  Actually if you take a new position with the same agency it is normal to have a new background done, if the new position requires a greater level of trust (becoming an agent after being a clerk or becoming a supervisor after being an agent/officer).

                  I would suggest that you look at a federal job that will give you status, but that you would not mind doing for several years. Several jobs are open as status candidates only, and you will not be able to even apply if you are not a current federal employee (or former one).
                  Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
                    Actually if you take a new position with the same agency it is normal to have a new background done, if the new position requires a greater level of trust (becoming an agent after being a clerk or becoming a supervisor after being an agent/officer).

                    I would suggest that you look at a federal job that will give you status, but that you would not mind doing for several years. Several jobs are open as status candidates only, and you will not be able to even apply if you are not a current federal employee (or former one).
                    Yea like you said, if a greater security clearance is needed, the investigation will have to be done again, but not fully. Parts of your previous investigation would be sufficient for the new clearance. Now applying for a supervisory role, doesnt require a new investigation. You should already have the required security clearance because many agents will act as SAC at times.
                    God Bless America

                    101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                    3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

                    ICE 1811
                    Applied: 6/22/09
                    Exam: 7/24/2009
                    SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                    The Call: October 26, 2010
                    PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Actually, JLAC, you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. I have a TS and always have. However, when I recently switched agencies they did the entire thing over again. Sure, they look at the old docs, but the right hand doesn't talk to the left hand generally. Welcome to government.

                      Also, yes, some positions permit only status candidates to apply, but other than that, we have no leg up on anyone else. Status candidates aren't given preference points or anything.

                      Get some tact and don't attack me on a public forum because I offered my opinion, which has merit. I know the way the status/non-status system works. However, if you think being a program analyst for the FBI is going to help you become an 1811, you are sadly mistaken.

                      As I said originally. If you need a job and see yourself being a fed for life, regardless of the track, then by all means go for it. Just don't go in counting on getting an easier path into an 1811.
                      Last edited by 1811orBust; 11-05-2009, 09:10 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                        Actually, JLAC, you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. I have a TS and always have. However, when I recently switched agencies they did the entire thing over again. Sure, they look at the old docs, but the right hand doesn't talk to the left hand generally. Welcome to government.

                        Also, yes, some positions permit only status candidates to apply, but other than that, we have no leg up on anyone else. Status candidates aren't given preference points or anything.

                        Get some tact and don't attack me on a public forum because I offered my opinion, which has merit. I know the way the status/non-status system works. However, if you think being a program analyst for the FBI is going to help you become an 1811, you are sadly mistaken.

                        As I said originally. If you need a job and see yourself being a fed for life, regardless of the track, then by all means go for it. Just don't go in counting on getting an easier path into an 1811.
                        I dont know why you feel like you was attacked, and if you're going to be this sensitive, I really think you need to reconsider your stance on becoming a law enforcement officer. I have dealt with some of the worse criminals and officers you could imagine, and if what I said to you hit a nerve, maybe this line of work really isnt for you. I was only stating the truth to the applicant. Being a current or former federal employee is helpful. If the job is only open to status canidates, everyone cant apply. Also if he went in as a program analyst for the FBI then wanted to be a Agent with the FBI, that will be good for him, and it also gives him a upper hand. His reputation would have already been built within the agency as to the kind of work ethics he had, therefore, the selecting panel would know more about that program analyst than they would someone coming from another agency. All im saying is, its a good move applying for a position in the agency you would like to work for. I believe in working your way up, and thats all he will be doing. So I say again, if you think being a current or former federal employee doesnt mean anything, you are sadly mistaken
                        God Bless America

                        101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                        3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

                        ICE 1811
                        Applied: 6/22/09
                        Exam: 7/24/2009
                        SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                        The Call: October 26, 2010
                        PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's a matter of opinion. We will agree to disagree. Also, before you make your snooty comments about being soft, I came from the service. Just because I don't feel like arguing with some self-proclaiming know-it-all online doesn't make me soft....

                          Good luck to you and to the OP.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                            It's a matter of opinion. We will agree to disagree. Also, before you make your snooty comments about being soft, I came from the service. Just because I don't feel like arguing with some self-proclaiming know-it-all online doesn't make me soft....

                            Good luck to you and to the OP.
                            Going to my corner, eating a grilled cheese sandwich thinking what did I do to make this man feel disrespected? If anything, I am sorry. Anyone got some RED KOOLAID
                            God Bless America

                            101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                            3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

                            ICE 1811
                            Applied: 6/22/09
                            Exam: 7/24/2009
                            SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                            The Call: October 26, 2010
                            PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                              Also, yes, some positions permit only status candidates to apply, but other than that, we have no leg up on anyone else. Status candidates aren't given preference points or anything.
                              Actually that is a huge leg up over the general public. I don't see why you are denying that fact. Perhaps it isn't a huge advantage on large public announcements like USSS SA, but for smaller announcements it is a huge advantage.
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


                              BOP - BPA - ICE

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5891 users online. 307 members and 5584 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X