Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFOSI or USSS?

Hello everyone,

I would truly appreciate your feedback concerning a decision that I may have to make soon. I am anticipating receiving a possible job offer from both AFOSI and USSS. I have made my own personal list of pros/ cons that I have gathered and before having to make a decision, I was hoping to get some feedback about the pros/ cons (personal knowledge/ general knowledge) of each agency to better guide me in the decision making process. I guess I’m wondering…Which would be your pick? Why? and why not? Thank you in advance.
    AFOSI?
    39.02%
    USSS?
    60.98%

Well I am soooooooooo sick of the Air Force right now, so my opinion is a little bit bias. In my personal opinion only, big blue leadership has got their focus going in the wrong direction and their priorities so screwed up that they don't know which way is up. SO GET OUT NOW!!! My personal opinion. If you go OSI you will be spending a lot of time in the Sandbox, especially if you know any languages like farce or pastuwan. I don't know that much about the USSS so I will not speak to it.
    Last edited by lschremp; 10-16-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

It was my first time setting up the voting...i was checking to seee it worked
      Last edited by Maswood22; 10-17-2009, 01:43 AM.

Comment

thanks everyone for your opinions so far

Comment

I don't know anything about AFOSI.

However, most USSS SA's I know are looking elsewhere. It is a great agency, best in the world at personal protection. If you want to travel a lot and make per diem and OT it is a good job. But for most agents, it seems that the following factors make the job undesirable:

1. Constant travel on short notice
          2. Mandatory reassignments to DC mid-career
          3. Boring nature of protection work
          4. Having to let good investigations falter because of protection details
          Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
            I don't know anything about AFOSI.

However, most USSS SA's I know are looking elsewhere. It is a great agency, best in the world at personal protection. If you want to travel a lot and make per diem and OT it is a good job. But for most agents, it seems that the following factors make the job undesirable:

1. Constant travel on short notice
            2. Mandatory reassignments to DC mid-career
            3. Boring nature of protection work
            4. Having to let good investigations falter because of protection details
            Thanks! Would you say this is also true for new agents (1-3 yrs)? or just those with a bit more experience under their belt (over 3 yrs)?

Comment

Originally posted by Maswood22 View Post
              Thanks! Would you say this is also true for new agents (1-3 yrs)? or just those with a bit more experience under their belt (over 3 yrs)?
              I think it is more for the agents who have been around a few years. I'm sure the travel and protection assignments are exciting at first. Then it gets old, especially for agents with a family at home. When the forced move to DC becomes a reality, that seems to be the breaking point for many.

I'm not trying to bash the Service, like I said it is a great agency. It is a great place to get started as an 1811, and there are some who actually love it and make a career out of it.
              Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

great info...thanks again for sharing.

Comment

ICEAGENT,

That is definately great information. I'm curious though, why would the SA's in the USSS wait awhile to look elewhere? Wouldn't they have to start back at GS-9 or would they be able to start in a different agency at what they left the USSS at? If so I would think you would want to get out as early as possible if you didn't like a certain agency. Also, what agencies have you seen alot of SA's from the USSS looking to transfer to?

Comment

Comparing OSI and USSS is night and day, two very different agencies with two completely different missions. I don't work for either, but I work for an agency similar to OSI and interned with USSS in college, so I'm not completely ignorant to what each would entail.

OSI is a military agency, not just in the fact that it services the USAF with criminal investigations, it has a general as it's commander, who ultimately reports to a higher-ranking general at USAF Inspector General. That means that civilian agents (whom I've heard make up approximately 20% of their agent corps) are the minority voice for needs of the agency. You are the proverbial "redheaded step child" of the agency. Not to say it's a bad job, I've talked to several civilian agents who love the work, but the agency as a whole seems to look out for the military system vice the needs of civilians that work for it. Expect tours overseas, including countries that end in "-stan."

For USSS, protection is the name of the game. They work criminal cases, but protection is the beast that must constantly be fed. That means lots of living out of a suitcase in hotels. A former partner of mine was former USSS, who lost his marriage because of the travel commitments of USSS agents. OSI dabbles in protection work, but for most agents it's a quick detail or TDY, not constant demands every few months like USSS (or more).

Both agencies are reputable agencies, and both are good at what their respective mission calls for, but each is a completely different animal with completely different environments. I work for a military federal LE agency and love it, so I could see enjoying OSI. I interned with USSS and decided it wasn't for me because having a family life is important to me, but that's not to say others (especially single guys) wouldn't love it.

At the end of the day, apply to whichever you are interested in (if you're genuinely interested in both, apply to both). If you apply to both, go with whichever makes an offer first.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JHert View Post
                      I'm curious though, why would the SA's in the USSS wait awhile to look elewhere? Wouldn't they have to start back at GS-9 or would they be able to start in a different agency at what they left the USSS at? If so I would think you would want to get out as early as possible if you didn't like a certain agency.
                      They often match your pay, regardless of whether you are hired at the same grade. As long as you don't lose money, getting bumped down a grade or two isn't too bad if it gets you on with an agency that is a better fit for you and your family.

Also, what agencies have you seen alot of SA's from the USSS looking to transfer to?
                      Former USSS agents can be found in pretty much all federal LE agencies. You name an agency, it's probably got several who are former Service agents.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                        They often match your pay, regardless of whether you are hired at the same grade. As long as you don't lose money, getting bumped down a grade or two isn't too bad if it gets you on with an agency that is a better fit for you and your family.

Former USSS agents can be found in pretty much all federal LE agencies. You name an agency, it's probably got several who are former Service agents.
                        Thanks Kimble.

I have already applied to both...and anticipate offers from both...and while I completely understand taking the first offer that calls, I also expect I’m going to be in a position to have the choice to choose which agency I would prefer a job with.

Comment

Originally posted by Maswood22 View Post
                          I have already applied to both...and anticipate offers from both...and while I completely understand taking the first offer that calls, I also expect I’m going to be in a position to have the choice to choose which agency I would prefer a job with.
                          Good luck. I will say that both agencies are competitive, with each having LEOs from other agencies, military servicemembers and other professionals applying to them on a regular basis. The economy right now only makes competition even tougher, as more educated, qualified applicants are looking for work. Your student admin experience with DoJ and future degree may be enough, but keep in mind that there are plenty of well-qualified applicants applying for federal jobs, so take whatever is offered first.
                          sigpic

Comment

ICEAGENT,

That is definately great information. I'm curious though, why would the SA's in the USSS wait awhile to look elewhere? Wouldn't they have to start back at GS-9 or would they be able to start in a different agency at what they left the USSS at? If so I would think you would want to get out as early as possible if you didn't like a certain agency. Also, what agencies have you seen alot of SA's from the USSS looking to transfer to?
                            I would imagine that there are a few new USSS SA's who know the deal with the job (a lot of prior UD officers for sure) that are basically just looking to get through CITP so they can jump to another agency ASAP. But I would guess that the majority of new SA's are willing to give it a chance and want to experience the job for a while before they decide its not for them.

ICE has been hiring a lot of ex-USSS as laterals recently. Every agency has some ex-USSS though.

Comment

While i have a long way to go before even deciding if i want to jump ships...lets assume that i get to a point that i just want CITP and experience before i move on to a third agency in the future.

Keeping that in mind...
                              1. which agency (usss or afosi) would be a better steping stone/ experince-wise for my future?
                              2. for re-employment purpose, which would look better on a resume if applying to other federal LEO?

I really appreciate the feedbacks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6015 users online. 316 members and 5699 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X