Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for US fish and Wildlife officers....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said, I work for TSA now, and currently over in Iraq where I'm a dog handler. I dont care if I move now or later either way is its a good job along with the things I like to do. I am also in the process for many other agencys, so will see what happens....Why not apply and see what happens.
    "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
      Not at all. These jobs are few and far between, so people will do whatever they have to do to get them. The idea of getting an entry-level fed job in the exact place you want to be is rare; getting a fed natural resource job with those same perfect circumstances is even rarer, I and I think people looking for this kind of job realized that a long time ago.
      You are right. I just got my dream N/R-LEO job and location. It took me five years and multi-moves. I almost gave up and was thinking of going back to a local L.E. job. I'm glad I held out.
      In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Comment

FWI, a GL-09 slot and a 5/7 training slot will be open soon in the Havasu Area of AZ with the USFWS. The area is fun to work and the Boss is GREAT.

Comment

Originally posted by five04zog View Post
          FWI, a GL-09 slot and a 5/7 training slot will be open soon in the Havasu Area of AZ with the USFWS. The area is fun to work and the Boss is GREAT.
          I think it would be a blast to work Havasu. I am definitely going to apply for the 5/7 slot.

Comment

five, GL and anyone else with the appropriate knowledge.....are interp ranger(for USFWS) positions good avenues into LE spots with the agency? Is it frowned upon if interp rangers attempt to make the jump to LE spots in a short amount of time.....say less than two years or is that even possible?

What are good starting/foot in the door positions within BLM or USFS that possibly lead to or prepare one for entry into LE spots for each agency? Or is getting any job with either agency enough of a foot in the door to move into LE?

Finally how fierce is the competition among employees within each agency for LE positions?

Comment

are interp ranger(for USFWS) positions good avenues into LE spots with the agency?
              If you're talking about simply being part of the refuge staff, I'd say it's somewhat of a foot in the door in that you make yourself and your work ethic known to the powers that be. Keep in mind that unlike with a large National Park or National Forest, refuge officers don't always stick to/work for a single refuge, so those "powers" may be spread out and working in one refuge might not make you all that known to other refuge managers in the region.

From an intra-agency competitiveness standpoint, most FWS employees (IMO, only) don't seem to be there for a shot at LE, like they might be in other agencies. Most employees seem happy in what they're already doing, so no, I don't think it's nearly as competitive as it is for outsiders looking at a career in LE, specifically. Even if I wasn't in LE, I'd probably be working for one of these agencies in some capacity because I feel I get more satisfaction from the mission. What I mean is...I think a lot of FWS employees feel that way and there probably aen't as many trying to jump into LE.

Perhaps others can give better insight, though. While I work with Refuge Officers quite a bit, I don't work for Refuges or for those doing the hiring of Refuge Officers.
              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Belick View Post
                five, GL and anyone else with the appropriate knowledge.....are interp ranger(for USFWS) positions good avenues into LE spots with the agency? Is it frowned upon if interp rangers attempt to make the jump to LE spots in a short amount of time.....say less than two years or is that even possible?

What are good starting/foot in the door positions within BLM or USFS that possibly lead to or prepare one for entry into LE spots for each agency? Or is getting any job with either agency enough of a foot in the door to move into LE?

Finally how fierce is the competition among employees within each agency for LE positions?
                The USFWS is a small workforce. All the positions, regardless if it is an L.E. slot are tough to land. 99.9% of the employees have a B.S., a masters or better. Mostly in land management, biology, ecology, environmental, etc. I would say any fed. job would work if you have the time/age to work with (I. e. “6c” 37 age cut off.). Many refuge officers I work with come from other Fed. law enforcement jobs. A lot of Border Patrol, Air Marshals, BOR, Park Service, state conservation officers, etc. This is true of all Fed-conservation L.E. jobs.

When I attended LMPT, I think I was the only student that did not have a degree. All but a few had law enforcement, military and college. Our class had 200+ years combined L.E. Experience. It was the most professional, educated group of LEO's I have ever had the honor to study/work with. I think this is the norm with all LMPT classes. The FLETC instructors will hold you to a higher standard.

If you have a “dream job/agency” you are looking at, keep trying. This said, it took me five years to land my dream job/state (I start next month). I took fed. LE jobs with agency's/areas I didn't wish to work but it was a stepping stone. In the federal system, you must be willing to move around to move up. My wife has been great and I don't kids. It has paid off for me but with sacrifice.

Competition for jobs with all the federal conservation/land management agency's is fierce. I know of few USFWS employees working in other areas of the service trying to land L.E. Jobs. Most had to work hard for the jobs they have and it was their area of study in college. I think any fed. Job with some L.E./military background and the right college degree will put you in the running if you just keep applying. Just be willing to work in a location other then your first pick for some time. Good luck...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12937 users online. 486 members and 12451 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X