Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for US fish and Wildlife officers....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for US fish and Wildlife officers....

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/getjob.as...&rc=4&TabNum=1

I was looking at the link above for the Grenada, MS area for LE Refuge Officer.

What are normally the resident requirements for these position? ( I couldnt find anything listed)

Also, do you get a Takehome ride?

Thanks

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
    http://jobview.usajobs.gov/getjob.as...&rc=4&TabNum=1

I was looking at the link above for the Grenada, MS area for LE Refuge Officer.

What are normally the resident requirements for these position? ( I couldnt find anything listed)

Also, do you get a Takehome ride?

Thanks
    I'm 99% sure they almost all get take homes. Some of the Refuges have government housing. The one I spoke to did not have a required residence. I will find out what the norm is for residency requirements.
    Last edited by ACO88; 10-12-2009, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACO88 View Post
      I'm 99% sure they almost all get take homes. Some of the Refuges have government housing. The one I spoke to did not have a required residence. I will find out what the norm is for residency requirements.
      Thanks, I would appreciate it.

Comment

For FWS 1811's it's 30 miles. There are exceptions for "hardship" scenarios, but they actually make you measure it. Not sure about refuges.

Even at 30 miles, you're going to be turning over vehicles pretty fast. An agency with the money shortage that FWS has can get a little finicky about constantly refilling the tank of a big honking truck or SUV, simply because the officer/agent lives even further than that from their office or patrol area, so it's important to ask.
        "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

I'm a USFWS Officer. I live approx. 25 miles from my assigned refuge. However, I work three refuges. I can travel two hours one way to patrol an area. Gas is not the issue. If you are allowed to take a vehicle home, it is because it benefits the service. many Refuge Officers and most Zone Officers travel great distances weekly for patrol. We are on 24/7 (AUO) call-out in my area. We all get take-homes. Most areas allow/do it. However, it is up to your Complex or Refuge Manager.
          In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Comment

Appreciate the info, i think im gonna pass on applying, we had some good changes here just the other day that is going to open up some good things to get into.

i live 100 miles from that refuge and was gonna try not to move if I did apply and drive my personal. LOL crazy idea but I passed on it.

Thank you all.

Comment

Do you generally have to have several years of LEO experience to get these jobs? Just out of curiosity, what weapons do you guys issue?

Comment

Gas is not the issue.
                Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but in mine it is. And I cover two entire states. Agree that take-homes are chiefly a benefit to the agency, but when SACs and ASACs are buying hybrids instead of Crown Vics with police packages and applauding anyone else who "downsizes", gas is almost always the main culprit. No one is parking any vehicles that I know of, but I've parked 'em before.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewbie View Post
                  Do you generally have to have several years of LEO experience to get these jobs? Just out of curiosity, what weapons do you guys issue?
                  Depends, Normally these Natural Resource LEO position are hard to land, and are very competitive.

Comment

Just applied, open at GS-05/07, many spots, US site to be determined.
                    "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

I'm guessing not many current feds are going to be applying for this announcement since its a training position and only a 05/07 and probably not many people want to bust down to a 5 or 7 but who knows. Also, be aware that this will only be a training duty station and that once you are eligible for a gs-09 position you WILL move. For example you are hired under this announcement and assigned to Lake Havasu in AZ once your "training" is over which is basically when you become eligible for a GS-09 position you will then be transfered to another location somewhere in the country and that would be considered your "permanent" duty station

For more info check this out: http://www.fws.gov/policy/do199.pdf

There were some other job announcements a couple days ago that are more "permanent" stations. I am guessing the guaranteed move will also diminish the amount of people who apply...

Comment

I'm guessing not many current feds are going to be applying for this announcement since its a training position and only a 05/07 and probably not many people want to bust down to a 5 or 7 but who knows.
                        Unless someone gets really lucky, there actually aren't all that many natural resource positions that a current fed WON'T have to "bust down" for. Call it a combination of only a few jobs, fierce competition for them, and journeyman grade levels that are behind rest of the fed LE world. Doesn't seem to hold many people back, though.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
                          Unless someone gets really lucky, there actually aren't all that many natural resource positions that a current fed WON'T have to "bust down" for. Call it a combination of only a few jobs, fierce competition for them, and journeyman grade levels that are behind rest of the fed LE world. Doesn't seem to hold many people back, though.
                          Do you think the sure-bet moving of duty stations after the person is GS-09 eligible will hold many people back from applying?

Comment

The 5/7 slots are set-up as training/SCEP slots.
                            In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Comment

Do you think the sure-bet moving of duty stations after the person is GS-09 eligible will hold many people back from applying?
                              Not at all. These jobs are few and far between, so people will do whatever they have to do to get them. The idea of getting an entry-level fed job in the exact place you want to be is rare; getting a fed natural resource job with those same perfect circumstances is even rarer, I and I think people looking for this kind of job realized that a long time ago.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7895 users online. 288 members and 7607 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X