300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish & Wildlife 1811

Just looking for some general information on this gig. Has anyone gone through the process? It looks like it's going to be pretty cut and dry from the timeframe posted on usajobs, interiew to entrace on duty just under a year. Has anyone worked with these guys? Any feelings on the agency or insight would be helpful. I have no experience in fish and wildlife investigations and was not a biology major.

Originally posted by dpd0779 View Post
    Just looking for some general information on this gig. Has anyone gone through the process? It looks like it's going to be pretty cut and dry from the timeframe posted on usajobs, interiew to entrace on duty just under a year. Has anyone worked with these guys? Any feelings on the agency or insight would be helpful. I have no experience in fish and wildlife investigations and was not a biology major.
    Can't find any 1811 position with USFWS posted on USAJobs. Can you post a link?

Comment

Originally posted by dpd0779 View Post
      I wouldn't waste your time unless you know someone. Very tough job to secure.
      "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

They have a wildlife inspector job open also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Belick View Post
          Can't find any 1811 position with USFWS posted on USAJobs. Can you post a link?
          Unless your a fed employee/vet they are not open to the general public.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
            Unless your a fed employee/vet they are not open to the general public.
            Though you can be a former fed and apply. I think the other poster is correct, it's very tough. I was told that there are fewer than 200 in the entire U.S. that are currently F&W Special Agents. I can see applicants having both a lot of former CI experience and relevant graduate level education.

Comment

Small Agency

Department of the Interior in 2006 had the following FTE in Law Enforcement Functions (1811, 0083, 0085, 0025, 0023, 1801,)

Office of Law Enforcement, Security and Emergency Management 8
              Office of the Inspector General 71
              U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Wildlife Refuge System 395
              U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Law Enforcement 317
              U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service subtotal - 712
              "From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

Comment

Fws 1811

Usfws Has 20 Openings For 1811 Which Will Close On October 20 2009. As A Usfws Law Enforcement Officer In The 0025 Series It Is Not Very Hard To Apply And To Get In With The Service But Since We Are A Small Leo Agency We Strive To Choose Only The Most Qualified Candidates, While It Is True That Veterans Have More Preference It Is Just Because Of Federal Law Which Dictates That Veterans Do Have Preference Over Non Veterans When Making A Selection. I Have Been With This Agency For Over 7 Years And This Is By Far The Best Job In The Federal Government To Be A Leo. I Get To Work The Enforcement Side Of A Game Warden Plus All The Regular Police Work That City Cops Do. It Is By Far Better Than My Old Agency Ice. So I Really Stress That If Your Interested In A Job In Le Were You Can Do A Diverse Field Of Work And Also Be Outdoors Usfws Is The Way To Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't waste your time unless you know someone. Very tough job to secure.
                  Tough to land because the agency is so small, but there is not one shred of truth to the "know someone" aspect to get hired. Everyone competes and is selected on their merits. The selection process is too regimented for hiring 'favorites' and there aren't enough slots.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Law Enforcement 317
                  Remember that this includes support staff, managers and HQ. There are less than 150 agents currently working cases in the field.

As A Usfws Law Enforcement Officer In The 0025 Series It Is Not Very Hard To Apply And To Get In With The Service
                  Hard to tell what you're talking about with no punctuation, but it is actually VERY hard to get an 1811 position, regardless where you come from - again, largely because the agency is so small and only brings on one academy class at a time. Also, remember that Refuges, which the Refuge Officers fall under, and the Office of Law Enforcement, which employs the 1811's and inspectors, are separate entities within the USFWS and and are run differently/by different managers. They also hire differently; OLE only hiring 15-24 at a shot (the number it takes to fill a class for the Special Agent Basic School) every other year or so.

Being a veteran isn't going to even get a person to the interview if the other pieces of the puzzle aren't there; desire, bringing something to the table as far as experience, and a willingness to make some sacrifices that you might not have to make in a different agency - like being cold, wet, tired and hungry for much of the hunting season, having to pull teeth to find someone willing to prosecute something that is usually looked at as *just* a wildlife violation, then rarely having a defendant receive any jail time (lots of misdemeanors), and having a horrid budget. Oh, and being paid an entire journeyman grade less (12) than most other 1811's to do the same job. Did I mention desire? As in desire to do the job and protect our country's natural resources? That's a trait shared by other agents and officers with BLM, NPS, USFS, NOAA, TVA, Rangers with the Army Corps. of Engineers, and a handful of others. If anyone is interested in money or "prestige", I wouldn't bother. Probably won't get hired and, if you do, probably won't be happy.

All said, still a great gig, though. 10-8 from the house in a truck or SUV, being outside, alone, independent, being "paid in susnsets," and - together with your state and local natural resource counterparts - being part of a brotherhood within a brotherhood.
                  "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9633 users online. 397 members and 9236 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X