300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Marshal Questions?

I am seriously looking into what I need to do to become a Marshal and I just have a couple of questions I'd like to get answered by someone who is actually in such a position.

1. What kind of dress code does the USMS enforce? Is it like television where they can dress casually or more like the Secret Service where a suit and tie is required?
    2. I am an aspiring author. Will that hinder my chances of being accepted into the Marshals if I get published? Witness protection is what I would really like to do. Will being a published author hinder those chances as well?
    3. As mentioned above, I'd like to do witness protection. Is it hard to get into or is it based on a seniority ladder? How long am I looking at if that is the case?
    4. What are the basic firearm proficiency requirments?
    5. Does the USMS issue a firearm or are Marshals expected to provide their own? If they do issue one, what is the model?
    6. Do you have any recommendations for classes/degrees I should aim for as I go through school that will give me a leg up?

Any information you can give me would be grand. Thanks!
    "The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny, and it is useless for the innocent to try by reasoning to get justice, when the oppressor intends to be unjust."

Have you checked their website? There is alot of information on it and it would be a good place for you to start.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
      Have you checked their website? There is alot of information on it and it would be a good place for you to start.
      I have, actually. It just didnt have any of that information (that I saw). Thats why I was wondering. It's mostly PR stuff from what I could tell which doesn't do me much good since I already have my heart set on getting in, lol.
      "The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny, and it is useless for the innocent to try by reasoning to get justice, when the oppressor intends to be unjust."

Comment

there are many active U.S. Marshals threads on this forum and other forums (you have to search for them on google, don't think we can mention the names specifically on here). the answer to all of your questions are on the threads.
        regarding specific agency questions such as issued firearms and look at fletc for firearms proficiency.

as far as degrees go, i am assuming you do not have a BA/BS yet. no one can tell you what specifically to take but use two things, first your interests, find out what they are and which degree interests you. second look at the many threads on here, and other forums as well regarding in demand degrees or degrees with the appropriate highly in demand critical skills that many agencies are after in their applicants. but most important of all, make good use of the SEARCH feature on this and any forum you should encounter. you will be amazed at the wealth of information available at your fingertips.

Comment

6. Any Bachelors Degree with military and law enforcement experience will make you a competitive candidate. Oh, a very clean background as well.

There are a plethora of USMS threads on here. Start reading...

Comment

Whats going on man?? From what I know, im waiting for the hiring process to start here in Houston, I have lots of questions too, I dont even know what hiring region I fall under, I have to check. But the US Marshal guy im talking to is a big dog here in Houston and he said who would let me know whats going soon, he sent me a flyer for the hiring process on the West Coast and said Marshals should be in Texas soon. Either u need a bachelors or work experience or a combination of both to join Marshals, I have 3 yrs in Army and 31 college credits so im good

Comment

Originally posted by Zurita210 View Post
              Whats going on man?? From what I know, im waiting for the hiring process to start here in Houston, I have lots of questions too, I dont even know what hiring region I fall under, I have to check. But the US Marshal guy im talking to is a big dog here in Houston and he said who would let me know whats going soon, he sent me a flyer for the hiring process on the West Coast and said Marshals should be in Texas soon. Either u need a bachelors or work experience or a combination of both to join Marshals, I have 3 yrs in Army and 31 college credits so im good
              Zurita, I don't know what your contact is telling you, but it's not in line with the Marshals' actual hiring process. They started and closed the window for applicants for region 7 (covering Houston) months ago.

http://www.usdoj.gov/marshals/careers/region7_flyer.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by PeeOwed View Post
                Zurita, I don't know what your contact is telling you, but it's not in line with the Marshals' actual hiring process. They started and closed the window for applicants for region 7 (covering Houston) months ago.

http://www.usdoj.gov/marshals/careers/region7_flyer.pdf
                Thaks for the info, I met the Marshal in June and he told me that Marshals had started the process at the begining fo the year but they were going to have another one before the year ends for Houston.

Comment

Questions

Alright well a few people have answered and given me some info but I still have some more questions. I met my US Marshal contact back in June after things with Border Patrol went sour. He had already told me that the Marshals opened up the window in Houston region 7 back in March but there was going to be another hiring window opening up before the year ends. Does anyone know anything about this??? Also what does the hiring process consist of, so far from what Ive heard there's a Fit test, Drug scree, info session, oral intervew, written test. Am I leaving something out?? Also I know I can pass the the Fitness Test but I dont know if I can meet the body fat percentage, my US Marshal contact told me not to worrry about that, does he have a point???

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=129837

Comment

surprised the link is still active, guess they didn't need to worry about storage space or bandwith. perhaps the flyers for all regions are still accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacco View Post
                        I am seriously looking into what I need to do to become a Marshal and I just have a couple of questions I'd like to get answered by someone who is actually in such a position.
                        Well first thing you need to do is become friends with President Obama because U.S. Marshals are appointed by the President of the United States.

Now if you are interested in becoming a Deputy Marshal then I am sure their website and the plethora of USMS threads would be a good starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by 1811Hopeful1 View Post
                          Well first thing you need to do is become friends with President Obama because U.S. Marshals are appointed by the President of the United States.
                          and gain the required number of votes from U.S. Senators for senate confirmation.

Comment

Actually northern Texas will open up not the Houston area. The Dallas area I believe is the same area as the Louisiana region which has not open up yet and should be the last!

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomer View Post
                              Actually northern Texas will open up not the Houston area. The Dallas area I believe is the same area as the Louisiana region which has not open up yet and should be the last!
                              Really?? Is that information from a reliable source?? My Marshal contact is best friends with a recruiter here in Houston, he told me there should be another window opening up before the year ends for sure is what he told me. I know about region 7 opening up back in March but there's another window opening up for region 7 before the year ends is what I was told. O yea and Dallas falls under Region 7 just like Houston

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9361 users online. 394 members and 8967 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X