300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD - not accepted; what next?

So, I passed my background, medical, department interview, and two polygraphs, and was sent a letter of conditional employment pending my succesful psych interview. The interviewer determined that I had issues with Decision Making & Judgment, and Social Interaction. I appealed, and the private interviewer determined that (in short) I was combative and argumentative, and because I have a background in commercial art, I am naturally too independent, outspoken and persistent to fit in with a paramilitary environment.

Honestly, it's pretty disappointing that the successes I had in this process were undone by the stereotype that "artists are free spirits", and I feel that while some of both interviews should have been better phrased on my part, the majority of the decisions were based on assumptions that don't match me. Nevertheless, I know that these are the people I need on my side if I want this position, so I need to start making efforts that I can point to next year that will demonstrate my ability to function in this job.

Does anyone have suggestions for activities or other methods I could pursue to do this?

Sorry to hear you didn't make it. LAPD is a tough nut to crack. Don't give up. Keep trying elsewhere until you hit paydirt. I hope we both get hired somewhere soon. Good luck and Godspeed!
    Sworn on September 22, 2010

Comment

Don't get too discouraged. Psychs are like crap shoots. I have seen people fail a psych one week and pass a different psych the next. You just keep testing until you pass one. I had a friend who failed 13 in a row until he passed. He has been an officer now for 15 years.

FWIW, a lot is based on your answers to the written psych. It is a hard test to fool because they ask you the same question several different times but just phrased differently, to keep you from trying to read into the questions and give them the answers you think they want.

Go to http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/psy...cal-traits.pdf and you will get a feel for what the psych measures.

Go here http://www.post.ca.gov/Publications/...quirements.pdf and look at Refgulation 9055 to better understand the psych evaluatiion process.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It says you had issues with decision making and judgement.

Then last sentence you asked what next steps you should do.

I dunno, i found that a bit humorous

Good luck out there.

Comment

Ive failed psychs before. Just keep applying elsewhere. You will get on eventually. I did.

Comment

Originally posted by bdouglas View Post
            So, I passed my background, medical, department interview, and two polygraphs, and was sent a letter of conditional employment pending my succesful psych interview. The interviewer determined that I had issues with Decision Making & Judgment, and Social Interaction. I appealed, and the private interviewer determined that (in short) I was combative and argumentative, and because I have a background in commercial art, I am naturally too independent, outspoken and persistent to fit in with a paramilitary environment.

Honestly, it's pretty disappointing that the successes I had in this process were undone by the stereotype that "artists are free spirits", and I feel that while some of both interviews should have been better phrased on my part, the majority of the decisions were based on assumptions that don't match me. Nevertheless, I know that these are the people I need on my side if I want this position, so I need to start making efforts that I can point to next year that will demonstrate my ability to function in this job.

Does anyone have suggestions for activities or other methods I could pursue to do this?
            I had exactly the same result as yours back in Dec '07 with LAPD. I was fortunate enough and got the call for hire by LASD the following month - Jan '08.

Do not loose hope - keep applying........

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, folks, I'll be checking out some other departments.

Originally posted by damode1985 View Post
              It says you had issues with decision making and judgement.
              Then last sentence you asked what next steps you should do.
              I dunno, i found that a bit humorous

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8983 users online. 203 members and 8780 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X