Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afosi

Hello All:

I'm a student participating in AFROTC. I'm really working on getting an OSI spot upon graduation. Does anyone have information about the OSI recruitment process for ROTC? Also, do OSI SAs have good recruitment possibilities at other agencies, i.e. FBI.

Any information is appreciated!
    Jordan

I had a buddy (active-duty O in the USAF) who wanted to go into OSI upon graduating ROTC. He didn't get it, as ROTC slots for OSI are VERY rare. He is an agent with OSI, but did about 5 years in another USAF job before requesting a transfer to OSI.

Regarding your second question, about recruitment to other federal agencies, if that is your motivation for looking at OSI, you probably need to keep that to yourself while looking at OSI. OSI has had a history of people becoming agents with them, getting training and experience, and then jumping ship to another federal agency shortly after coming on board. People change agencies all the time for various reasons, but OSI is not going to be too interested in someone they know is going to be a "short timer." Think about it from there perspective, if they know in advance you wish to leave, would they really want to put the money into hiring and training you?

My recommendation is to do well with ROTC, apply for OSI but have a back-up plan for other jobs you'd be intersted in (intel would be a good background for OSI, but any USAF job would be fine), and then apply to them if you plan to put in several years before jumping ship or are open to doing a full career with OSI. Otherwise, just apply to other federal agencies after your active-duty USAF commitment is satisfied.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the response, Kimble.
      Jordan

Comment

Agree with Kimble's response about having a backup plan. I would stay away from becoming an SF officer if you are thinking about OSI as a career in the Air Force. The last time I spoke with a pretty high ranking officer at HQ that was on the panel that selects applicants he said that not too many SF officers make it into OSI each year. Pick a career field that will allow you to transfer pretty easily as well. When I was looking at commissioning with OSI as my ultumate goal he advised me to try logistics or an admin career field since it's usually easy to transfer out. This may all be outdated information but there are some former/ current AFOSI agents on the board that can probably help you make a more informed decision. Good luck!
        Pulvis et umbra sumus

Comment

Originally posted by SigFoo View Post
          Agree with Kimble's response about having a backup plan. I would stay away from becoming an SF officer if you are thinking about OSI as a career in the Air Force. The last time I spoke with a pretty high ranking officer at HQ that was on the panel that selects applicants he said that not too many SF officers make it into OSI each year. Pick a career field that will allow you to transfer pretty easily as well. When I was looking at commissioning with OSI as my ultumate goal he advised me to try logistics or an admin career field since it's usually easy to transfer out. This may all be outdated information but there are some former/ current AFOSI agents on the board that can probably help you make a more informed decision. Good luck!
          Thanks! I appreciate the info.
          Jordan

Comment

OSI ROTC slots are few. We like to get some academy grads, then have as many enlisted guys as we can go to OTS when they finish their degrees. I had three ROTC Lt's in my FLETC class. All three were honor students and two were Rhodes Scholars. Competition is fierce.

I have been in OSI for 6+ years now. I HATE it when I hear the "Will other agencies want me" crap. if you want to be an FBI Agent, Apply for the FBI. Do not use my agency as a stepping stone. There are pelnty of people who want this job for the right reasons.

M-11
            “All men dream...... But not equally..
            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
              OSI ROTC slots are few. We like to get some academy grads, then have as many enlisted guys as we can go to OTS when they finish their degrees. I had three ROTC Lt's in my FLETC class. All three were honor students and two were Rhodes Scholars. Competition is fierce.

I have been in OSI for 6+ years now. I HATE it when I hear the "Will other agencies want me" crap. if you want to be an FBI Agent, Apply for the FBI. Do not use my agency as a stepping stone. There are pelnty of people who want this job for the right reasons.

M-11
              Thanks for the response. It's not my intention at all to get experience and bail. I just want to get the whole picture, so I make wise decisions.

Thanks again.
              Jordan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14706 users online. 462 members and 14244 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X