300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Service Loan Forgiveness and Police

Hi... I'm graduating at the end of this year from college with a psychology major and will be applying to law schools, potentially. I just turned 22.

I would like to go into law enforcement, yet I would also like to have a JD for after my law enforcement career. I've thought long and hard about many options to this route, from taking law school after my police career or during, but with the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program which just was passed a few years ago, it enables people to go to grad school, pay off a low amount (about 1/3) over 10 years, and the rest (principal and interest) will be forgiven after 10 years of public service (police or fire), as well as a bunch of other options.

Is anyone familiar with this? Does anyone think I'm dumb for going to law school before going to academy and being an officer? Am I smart for going this way, in that in case an injury at least I have some backup option in law?? Will any departments hire me, or just think I'm some wanabe, or poser/loser from law school...

God Bless all you officers, stay safe out there.

Originally posted by FtrLaw002 View Post
    Hi... I'm graduating at the end of this year from college with a psychology major and will be applying to law schools, potentially. I just turned 22.

I would like to go into law enforcement, yet I would also like to have a JD for after my law enforcement career. I've thought long and hard about many options to this route, from taking law school after my police career or during, but with the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program which just was passed a few years ago, it enables people to go to grad school, pay off a low amount (about 1/3) over 10 years, and the rest (principal and interest) will be forgiven after 10 years of public service (police or fire), as well as a bunch of other options.

Is anyone familiar with this? Does anyone think I'm dumb for going to law school before going to academy and being an officer? Am I smart for going this way, in that in case an injury at least I have some backup option in law?? Will any departments hire me, or just think I'm some wanabe, or poser/loser from law school...

Let me suggest a visit to your campus Financial Aid Office. They should be up to date on all of these programs and options.

Comment

Some federal agencies have Tuition Assistance programs available to their employees. There is a Student Loan Repayment Program that allows an agency to pay for your student loans in exchange for a committment to the agency. And there is also the loan forgiveness program available for public service occupations.

Comment

If you want to go into law after working in law enforcement, I would wait either after the end of your law enforcement career or near the end of it to go to law school. Law is kind of like medicine, there would be untold changes from the time you graduated until the time you practiced if you went to law school first.

If you did decide to go to law school first it would make you look good to agencies. I used to work for someone who went to law school then decided to become a cop. Strangely enough, her husband who is one of our Sgts recently started law school.

Comment

Originally posted by FtrLaw002 View Post

Yea, Im familiar wit this program, it was a big deal for college grads working in law enforcement, but I haven't heard anything OFFICIAL about this program in over 2 years....

Comment

Hey check out this website. http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/res...tance-programs
            They focus mainly on law jobs but there is some good information on the site. There is also a forum where one of the employees for equal justice works program will answer questions. I think all of the people associated with this site have law degrees as well.

Comment

Code Seven, thanks for that massive post, very good and taught me alot..especially how little I know about loans.

Thank you all for the comments.. this deal does sound really good for a lower-income cop to pay off the $200 billion in loans I'll probably accrue from my 3 year stint at Harvard Law.

Comment

Heres one question I just thought of that I couldn't find anywhere...

Lets say 5 or 10 years down the road, or even the day after I apply for the loan forgiveness program to start after my law school graduation, the entire program is cancelled or banished by Congress, does the program still work? Would they just drop people who were planning on using it or grandfather them in til they complete? Or will I be riding on a wire hoping the program stays in the books for the 10 years until I submit the final paperwork.

Comment

I would think you have to get in before they close it down. Other than that, you would be out of luck.

Comment

There is no grandfather clause with money like that Miggity. Basically, if you get in a program for loan forgiveness, if Congress or the President gets rid of it, you are SOL.

This is actually happening right now. I graduate law school this Spring and many students planned on public interest/government careers based on a Loan Forgiveness program that is crapping out and ending due to the economy.

Comment

I've had the same question and am in a similar position.

From my research LE would qualify.

Check this site out:
                      http://www.finaid.org/loans/publicservice.phtml
                      Last edited by Jor3rd; 07-06-2010, 11:50 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4107 users online. 187 members and 3920 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X