300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI / Secret Service Application tips

Last edited by UT9902; 05-01-2010, 09:13 PM.

You need atleast 3 years professional work experience to apply for both agencies.

Comment

Last edited by UT9902; 05-01-2010, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
        You need atleast 3 years professional work experience to apply for both agencies.
        Not sure about the FBI but this is not the case with the USSS. I personally know USSS SA's who were hired straight out of college.

Just curious, why those two agencies? There are a lot of federal agencies out there.
        Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by UT9902 View Post
          Hey everyone,

I plan on applying to the FBI and SS within a week or so, and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on submitting an application to these 2 agencies, such as doing your resume, contact with AC's, etc. My degree is IT and I have a few months experience in IT security. I will also qualify under the language CS as well. Any help/advice would be great!
          Don't refer to the USSS as 'the SS'. They don't like it. Have someone proofread your KSA's. Do everything you can to make your KSA's stand out from the stack of applications.

Comment

deleted P.O.st
            Last edited by soflafed; 10-31-2011, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I'm coming up to seven years as an Officer, for a medium sized agency. Unfortunately, I'm only sitting around 40-something college credits. Would my experience and limited college really give me a chance with the USSS, or do I really need to knock out my schooling, first? I'm sure my references would recommend me as a pretty competent officer, etc... Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by iamacop View Post
                I'm coming up to seven years as an Officer, for a medium sized agency. Unfortunately, I'm only sitting around 40-something college credits. Would my experience and limited college really give me a chance with the USSS, or do I really need to knock out my schooling, first? I'm sure my references would recommend me as a pretty competent officer, etc... Thanks..

Straight from the web site....

Originally posted by USSS Web Site
                QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
                In order for your application to be considered, you must meet the
                following requirements:
                Be between the ages of 21 and less than 37 at the time of
                appointment (unless you have previous service in a Federal Civilian
                Law Enforcement position covered by special civil service retirement
                provisions, including early or mandatory retirement or are a veteran);
                Possess a current valid driver's license; AND
                Possess visual acuity no worse than 20/60 uncorrected,
                correctable to 20/20 in each eye. (Note: Lasik, ALK, RK, and PRK
                corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eye surgeries for Special
                Agent applicants. Applicants will be considered eligible for the
                Special Agent position provided specific visual tests are passed. The
                following are waiting periods for visual tests: Lasik-3 months after
                surgery, PRK-6 months after surgery, and ALK and RK-one year after
                surgery.

To qualify for the GL-7 level, you must possess:

A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with
                superior academic achievement. Superior academic achievement is
                defined as meeting at least one of the following requirements: being
                in the upper third of your graduating class; having a grade point
                average of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0, based on four years
                of undergraduate education or based on courses completed during the
                final two years of curriculum; having a grade point average of 3.5 or
                higher out of a possible 4.0, based on required courses completed in
                your major or required courses in your major completed during the
                final two years of curriculum; or being a member of a national
                scholastic honor society that meets the requirements of the
                Association of College Honor Societies.

OR

At least one full year of graduate level education (i.e. 18
                semester hours).

OR

At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GL-
                5 level which is in or directly related to the line of work of the
                position. Specialized experience is defined as conducting routine
                investigations for developmental purposes, or as part of a team or
                task force; serving subpoenas; participating in the execution of
                search warrants; seizing evidence; conducting interviews and/or
                interrogations; taking affidavits from suspects and witnesses;
                conducting routine surveillance; testifying in court as a witness to
                events or to explain basic procedures; preparing reports of routine
                investigations; and assisting in arrests.

OR

A combination of specialized experience, as described above, and
                related graduate level education.

To qualify at the GL-9 level you must possess:

A master's or equivalent graduate degree (such as LL.B. or J.D.)
                or two full years of progressively higher level graduate education,
                in a related field, leading to such a degree from an accredited
                college or university.

OR

At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GL-
                7 level, which is in or directly related to the line of work of the
                position. Specialized experience is defined as investigating complex
                criminal cases (including but not limited to: felony crimes,
                narcotics, violent and serial crimes, child abuse, sexual
                exploitation, computer and technology-related crime, bias-related
                crimes, auto theft, consumer product tampering, organized crime,
                etc.) requiring the use of recognized investigative techniques,
                interviews, interrogations, and/or surveillance; preparing
                investigative reports and/or information to present to District or US
                Attorney's office; leadership of a criminal investigative team or
                component in which the principal duties consisted of security
                investigation, intelligence gathering or criminal prosecution.

OR

A combination of specialized experience, as described above, and
                related graduate level education, beyond the first full year of
                graduate level study.

Comment

Know what the Mission Statement of both agencies are....as they are completely different from each other.....

Know that the USSS does more than protection....and that the FBI isn't like Jack Bauer.....that you will be sitting on your can a lot in an office down a crap ton of paperwork on everything you do.....

Comment

Hey everyone,

I plan on applying to the FBI and SS within a week or so, and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on submitting an application to these 2 agencies, such as doing your resume, contact with AC's, etc. My degree is IT and I have a few months experience in IT security. I will also qualify under the language CS as well. Any help/advice would be great!
                    Yes people make it through with just a degree with the Service but it is rare. Most applicants are advised to apply through the Uniform Division side because with just a degree it will be hard to stand out. You might as well apply because you have nothing to loose.
                    Don't worry about refering to the agency as "SS." I've never heard anyone have an issue with that except for applicants on the message board. Good luck.

Comment

The AC i have talked to on a few occasions assured me that with an IT background, using that as your CS, you do not need the required 3 years...not positive but I think this also applies to the language CS.
                      Yes, you've brought this info up in another thread a few months back, and that info was accurate at the time. It looks like the FBI has raised the bar recently for IT qualifications, now requiring 2-years work experience minimum in an IT environment:

http://www.fbijobs.gov/Employment/Cr...illsCharts.pdf

An assessment of the "talent market" for IT skills might've led to them raising their standards in line to the expectations of other critical skillsets. You may want to double check with your AC.

Moreover, as Bearcat points out, FBI and Secret Service are very different animals (although one may presume the Secret Service would also value your IT background). Everything being discussed here is much more coherent in the threads dedicated to those specific agencies.

Lastly, there's lot you can do in federal law enforcement related to IT besides a special agent career. Keep your options broad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2themax45 View Post
                        Don't worry about refering to the agency as "SS." I've never heard anyone have an issue with that except for applicants on the message board.
                        Huh, really? So you think it would be alright to refer to them as 'the SS' in your KSA's, or when speaking to the ASAC during his initial? I dunno, just seems like you'd want to avoid the negative connotation, out of respect for the agency. Maybe that's just me.

Comment

We can agree to disagree.

Anytime someone within the Service speaks about the agency the "U.S." is not always inserted in fear of a negative connotation. I would think that the average person in the United States could determine that "SS" is referring to the U.S. Secret Service. If you were in Germany then I would be more worried about a connotation. Maybe that's just me.
                          Last edited by 2themax45; 08-21-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2themax45 View Post
                            We can agree to disagree.

Anytime someone within the Service speaks about the agency the "U.S." is not always inserted in fear of a negative connotation. I would think that the average person in the United States could determine that "SS" is referring to the U.S. Secret Service. If you were in Germany then I would be more worried about a connotation. Maybe that's just me.
                            Yeah, you're right; I think it's just a personal perception thing. When I hear SS, the first thing I think of is goose-stepping soldiers. I guess I just always want to err on the side of caution.

Comment

Having been in the DC area off and on for over 6 years...I've never, ever heard anyone call the USSS the SS.

Secret Service, USSS, The Service, USSS Mafia perhaps....but never the SS....

If I wrote on one of my vistor briefs that DHS Secretay was showing up at one of our facilities and was being brought there by the SS...I'd be in a time-out with my boss....

Just sayin....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9485 users online. 420 members and 9065 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X