300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smithsonian Protection Service Officer

Anyone have any input / info on this position (outside of what's on wikipedia)?

Security officer, foot posts. Mostly unarmed. I believe some are armed.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Security guards for the Smithsonian. Some upward movement as they do have k-9 officers in the 0085 series. But you will not be locking anyone up and all detainments are turned over to USPP (in DC) or NYPD.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
        all detainments are turned over to USPP
        Actually....FPS....but USPP and/or MPD will take them as well.

Arrests at the musuems are very, very rare....so....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
          Actually....FPS....but USPP and/or MPD will take them as well.

Arrests at the musuems are very, very rare....so....
          I thought it was USPP because of the way the law was written.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
            I thought it was USPP because of the way the law was written.
            It's a Federal Facility...so FPS should have it....BUT....FPS is FPS...so Lord only knows who would respond.

The 2 years I was across the street from US Natural History Museum....I either saw FPS or MPD there dealing with stuff.... I never saw a USPP Car there on a call.....

And yes, we use to walk over there all the time to eat at the food carts...

Good stuff.....

If one of the USPP guys comes on and says they are supposed to be covering calls....then it is what it is.... But I never, ever saw them there....

Comment

I was curious because I saw a posting on USA Jobs for here in NY and it said they have to qualify with agency firearms (I didn't even know they had firearms). Are they covered under HR218? I saw that they have federal "special police" status (which basically sounds like peace officer status here in NY).

Comment

Originally posted by ssomike View Post
                I was curious because I saw a posting on USA Jobs for here in NY and it said they have to qualify with agency firearms (I didn't even know they had firearms). Are they covered under HR218? I saw that they have federal "special police" status (which basically sounds like peace officer status here in NY).
                No and Im sure if you try the agency will terminate you.

Comment

Originally posted by ssomike View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that their "special police" status is way more limited than mainstream peace officer status in NY. I don't think that they have any authority outside of the museum, and I'm almost positive that they're not HR 218 covered.

Comment

The word "POLICE" in their title "SPECIAL POLICE" is misleading at best. They have "arrest" authority INSIDE the museum only. They are armed and beyond thier on-duty status have absolutely NO off-duty carry or arrest authority. In New York they perform security functions only and oversight is with FPS.

In New York the museum is exclusive federal jurisdiction so with that, NYPD DOES NOT take arrests or detentions from that location. FPS is the LE authority for that facility. In fact one of our Inspectors maintains an office at that location. Rarely does anything ever happen inside the museum, however the outside keeps us pretty busy in that area. Smithsonian does not perform perimeter patrols and again, are relegated to interior protection only.

For someone looking to get into LE this is not the place to do it. If you like a nice cushy security job it's right up your alley.

Again, this is only the New York museum. I don't know how the DC area operates.

Comment

Nah, not looking for a "cushy" security gig, (or any security gig). It pretty much sounds like what I thought it is, just a security gig. I also kind of figured that their "special police" status was way more limited than my peace officer status. I was just saying that I guess that it's sort of the fed version of peace officer status. Thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

There are two Smithsonian museums in New York City - The National Museum of the American Indian at 1 Bowling Green and the National Design Museum on 2 East 91st Street.

As for the "Special Police" designation, that is for for certain positions that are so delegated by SI and the positons in NYC have not been granted that designation. They are strictly security guards in NYC. FPS is the primary security and law enforcement authority at 1 Bowling Green. FPS has likely assigned a very knowledgeable and skilled FPS Inspector to the area due to the facility's high-risk location.

Comment

FPS-_2 is spot on for NYC... as for DC area museums FPS does not directly support those buildings. Yes they are Federal buildings, but for the most part they are owned by SI and are under their full control (operations, maintenance, and security). USPP is the joint jurisdiction for all museums on the mall, MPD/USPP for the Zoo and local authorities for sites outside the DC core (i.e. PG County, etc.)... and no HR 218 does not apply.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11784 users online. 416 members and 11368 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X