Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Service (and other LE jobs) and past discrepancies

Hello all!

I've always dreamed of becoming a Secret Service agent. However I'm currently at the crossroads of my life and trying to figure which direction I would like to go career-wise. And I just want to see if I have a legitimate shot at it or if it will forever just be a dream.

Back in 2005, I applied for the LAPD and was disqualified due to failing the polygraph. ( I think the question(s) that got me was "Have you stolen anything over the amount of $XXX from past employers?" which I freaked out because I didn't know the total amount of things I have "acquired", but since then I've totaled the prices and have come to peace with a figure and a little bit of "Have you lied to anyone in authority?")

On top of that being my first polygraph, I read all about polygraph testing, and that messed me up even more! So that, plus three things that I omitted from the background questionnaire. (one was leaving the scene of a fender bender in a parking lot)

My head wasn't on straight back then, but since applying with LAPD I have admitted those three things on all subsequent applications.

And my background: 27, Marine Corps OIF vet, Sheriff's reserves, EMT-B, security at a hotel frequented by various heads of state and the Secret Service, security contractor for the Dept. of State in Middle East and executive protection in Asia. No drug use or run-ins with the law. (Yes, I'm being honest!) I'm still trying to figure out what I will finish my degree in--either criminal justice, accounting or security management.

Do I have a shot with the Secret Service or other LE Agencies (local or federal) or should I explore other career options? Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by SempFi007 View Post
    ( I think the question(s) that got me was "Have you stolen anything over the amount of $XXX from past employers?" which I freaked out because I didn't know the total amount of things I have "acquired", but since then I've totaled the prices and have come to peace with a figure and a little bit of "Have you lied to anyone in authority?")
    What are we talking about here? A couple staplers and some pens? Or a few computers and a car?

Comment

Thanks to everyone and their advice. You've all been really helpful.

As for my acquisitions, I guess I shouldn't have put the word "acquired" in quotation marks like I did. It makes it look pretty bad. I didn't go out of my way to acquire these items.

And as for the LAPD, I wasn't completely disqualified. I received a letter advising to reapply after so much time has passed.

1811Chick: The highest value item I found to be in my possession was some flashlight from the Marines. But the thing I freaked out about on the polygraph with LAPD was music. I was a piano accompanist/music teacher for a couple years playing for various school and church choirs. Through these venues I acquired a sizable amount of music--original copies and photo copies. Although one piece may not cost much, after a while it all adds up. Add the photocopies of music and the federal copyright violations that may be included with it, that completely had me going.

Thanks again for all assistance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10982 users online. 432 members and 10550 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X