300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another thread by claymoreman, looking for legit answers this time

okay so you all know my posts, well at least some do. this is a conglomerate of posts, so do not take this is a joke. i don't think i can join the military, unfortunately not any time soon. i do want to do something that has access towards weapons and is a important job. something like the IDF, but I'm not Israeli. something like counter-terrorism, not a desk job though. maybe CIA? do CIA agents carry firearms? anyways I want to do something like that, something impressive. I am aware that I have to join the military to do most things, but I cannot. Is there a way around this? I am a student in college, freshman year. I want to put things in a direction that is suitable for a job in the CIA, counterterrorism teams, etc. thanks

Originally posted by claymoreman View Post
    okay so you all know my posts, well at least some do. this is a conglomerate of posts, so do not take this is a joke. i don't think i can join the military, unfortunately not any time soon. i do want to do something that has access towards weapons and is a important job. something like the IDF, but I'm not Israeli. something like counter-terrorism, not a desk job though. maybe CIA? do CIA agents carry firearms? anyways I want to do something like that, something impressive. I am aware that I have to join the military to do most things, but I cannot. Is there a way around this? I am a student in college, freshman year. I want to put things in a direction that is suitable for a job in the CIA, counterterrorism teams, etc. thanks
    No.

Comment

I think I have the organization for you. It's usually pretty easy to join; but a media event this weekend may lead to an uptick in applicants.

Barring that, capitalize on the opportunities your education will afford you to develop this thing called "perspective."

Comment

Why can't you join the military?

Comment

Yea for the most part if for some reason you arn't qualified for the military most fed jobs are outta the picture.

Comment

Last edited by cutter; 02-23-2010, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ifineed2 View Post
              medical reasons. i am currently taking anti depressants, but am going off them. so maybe i can join the military. but im going to college and i dont want to give up college and enlist right now. possibly after college i might enlist.

Comment

Originally posted by cutter View Post
                Well first things first. If you are even thinking about applying to the CIA you are not allowed to tell anyone, says it right on their website.

Secondly, I feel like you watch too many movies. You want to do something "impressive", why, do you want to brag to your friends and get chicks because you work for the CIA, well hate to tell you that no one will probably know if you work for the CIA. Also, with that attitude I doubt you will get any job because they aren't looking for people who want to impress people with a badge and a weapon. I have a feeling you would be one of those people who would walk in to a bar and flash their credentials just to get attention and respect.

I know a great counter-terrorism team: the military and I am sure they would have no problem putting you on the front lines, so you wouldn't have to worry about sitting behind a desk. Oh yea, they have weapons and the job is pretty impressive.

Anyway, you better bring some amazing skill set to the table to join the CIA. Start traveling, learn another language or two, have a 4.0 GPA from a top university, have military experience. Based on your grammar, spelling and maturity in your post, I would say you have a lot to work on.

PeeOwed: I just joined COBRA! They are the best counter-terrorism team ever! That site is pretty funny.

look, im not looking to brag, its not who i am. i do watch movies, not the ****ty michael bay or die hard movies. but i want to look back in life when im older and say i have lived a good life that i wanted. i want something impressive. i dont want to be a local cop for 30 years and retire. i want that. to look back and say i did something i loved, and doing something like that would be a pleasure to me.

Comment

As a recent college grad who is now seeing just how competitive and time intensive the LE process is, let me shed whatever words of wisdom I can. If you're going to be a freshman then clear your head of all this obsession with carrying a weapon, being a spy, etc. Not that I have 1% the wisdom of most mentors on this forum, but even I can tell that you are desiring a particular career field for all the wrong reasons.

Get a good education, choose your course of study wisely, learn a critical language, do plenty of objective research on careers in law enforcement/military/intelligence (research that will unveil the real side of these careers, not the Jason Bourne side of them), and strongly consider joining an ROTC program for whatever branch of the military that is involved with your school (granted your medical condition allows for it). Read plenty of good, credible, non-fiction, historical books on agencies that you are interested in - this will give you a sense of what the actual day to day work is like vs what is portrayed on the big screen.

Comment

i want something impressive. i dont want to be a local cop for 30 years and retire.
                    Woah there, check what forum you are on and reconsider what you're posting.

I think you need to go visit your career services office, take some of their tests, and consider all careers. You have not indicated any interest particular to LE work besides wanting to carry a gun. I want to work in LE because I want to interact with people, help solve problems, have career with variety and camaraderie, etc. Does any of that interest you? I would be on the same path if they didn't issue guns. Would you? Find a job where that is true for you.

I third (or fourth) the suggestion for the military. I was in it and I loved it. You can always ditch the anti-depressants; take up exercise, its shown to be just as effective (and you'll need the PT for whatever fictional career you have dreamed up anyway). Consider ROTC. (ETA sjhogs3333 just beat me to this suggestion by a few seconds)

Comment

i'm going to go the complete opposite way of everyone else on here. There are many people that want to be what we call the "hut hut" boys but will never be. I think you should finish school and get a nice job as an accountant or something along those lines. 85 to 90% of this job is sedentary. If you want action, be a professional athlete. Google Lt. Col. Dave Grossman and his book "On Killing". I'm a sheepdog. I know this cause, I've fought the wolf. I don't get the same feeling from you. Sorry
                      Fear the darkness, for I am in it

Comment

Here you go, visit this site. You are making the perfect resume for a mall ninja. http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

You are in college and you still have this much growing up to do? You are not serious. I am willing to bet that these posts have all been a joke, and you are really a long time poster with an alias or you are a lurker having a little fun.
                        But just in case you are for real, then NO!!! you will never get hired on any counter terrorism "Jack Bauer" fantasy job. You do not want to put in the time in the military or on the street? Fair enough with GREAT grades in a SOUGHT AFTER major, alot of real world exp. (sacking groceries does not count), and throw in a foreign language and some peace corp volunteer work. Well, you probably still won't have a chance in HELL because you have been on anti depressants that are already keeping you from working for who??? The FEDERAL gov't (thats who runs the military). Yeah, I know alot of people who are on those that are cops, military, etc. Most got them after they were with their respective places of employment. Also, depending on the circumstances taking them is no big deal before or after (I want to point out that I don't think anybody is a crazed drug addict or anything). The point is your condition for taking anti depressants is already keeping you out of the military, so why do you think you would even be considered for the mental and emotional rollercoaster ride that is "James Bond". Good Gosh kid you are dreaming of being some kind of unrealistic super spy/G.I. Joe while on anti depressant meds all while just barely old enough to vote, but past old enough to know better. Good Luck on future psych tests.

Comment

My "troll sense" is tingling too.
                          sigpicTwo is one,
                          one is none.

Comment

i dont want to be a local cop for 30 years and retire. .
                            I dont think you could cut it as a local cop for 30 years and retire. Let alone any type of LE.

Have the Best day.

Comment

something like counter-terrorism, not a desk job though. maybe CIA? do CIA agents carry firearms?
                              There are no "CIA Agents" per se. What most people are referring to in that sense are CIA Case Officers - whose primary job is to gather information and get Joe Foreign National to leak information about his country to the U.S. Some covert stuff, but also a LOT of paperwork AND sitting at a desk. Regadless which kind of movies you watch, 99% of Hollywood is BS. Also, it's very difficult to "join" an agency to obtain a position like this; the profession will usually find you, based on whether or not you have the skill sets they're looking for.
                              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7443 users online. 291 members and 7152 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X