Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal vs. Local?

Hi,
    I asked an earlier question about FBI hiring. I'm also considering going with local law enforcement instead. As I noted before, I will be graduating in May with a JD, and I speak Russian (though I probably could use some refreshing).

The pros of going local that I can see are:
    -Can stay around family (my wife and I are very close with both of our parents, and when we raise kids, their grandparents will be close)
    -Greater likelihood of getting hired/less waiting before hiring
    -No ~5 month training period that I would be away from my wife

The pros of going fed that I can see are:
    -Immediately assume an investigatory capacity
    -Greater pay
    -Be able to investigate larger, more complicated schemes (better making use of my law degree and Russian language abilities)

Are there other factors I should be considering? Thank you for any thoughts you have!
    Last edited by camerong; 08-01-2009, 09:44 AM.

Originally posted by camerong View Post
    Hi,
    I asked an earlier question about FBI hiring. I'm also considering going with local law enforcement instead. As I noted before, I will be graduating in May with a JD, and I speak Russian (though I probably could use some refreshing).

The pros of going local that I can see are:
    -Can stay around family (my wife and I are very close with both of our parents, and when we raise kids, their grandparents will be close)
    -Greater likelihood of getting hired/less waiting before hiring
    -No ~5 month training period that I would be away from my wife

The pros of going fed that I can see are:
    -Immediately assume an investigatory capacity
    -Greater pay
    -Be able to investigate larger, more complicated schemes (better making use of my law degree and Russian language abilities)

Are there other factors I should be considering? Thank you for any thoughts you have!
    It all depends on what your career aspirations are. It is kind of a broad question because there are many Federal Agencies and they all have different functions within law enforcement. If you want to be where the action is then I would say go local with a big department.

If you like investigations than the FBI, Secret Service, or DOJ may be something you want to look at. Me personally I like to be more "hands on" and do not like the long drawn out investigative type of work. I have had a very fulfilling career in local law enforcement, and if were to go anywhere it will be with the Marshal's.

Just be aware that the competition is fierce and a lot agencies will want or like some type of past local law enforcement experience. This is not true for all, epically if you bring some type of specialized expertise, like fluent in a foreign language for example. Just my two cents.
    "In valor there is hope"

Comment

You can always try going local first and get some basic LE experience. That will help you if you later decide to start applying for the feds. The federal hiring process takes longer anyway so you will need something to do while you wait.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but even with your resume getting any LE job isn't a guarantee. I know some highly-qualified people who took years to get a LE job. Qualifications make it easier but you still need to be in the right place at the right time. My advice is to apply for several positions at all levels, and see what shakes out.
      Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
        You can always try going local first and get some basic LE experience. That will help you if you later decide to start applying for the feds. The federal hiring process takes longer anyway so you will need something to do while you wait.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but even with your resume getting any LE job isn't a guarantee. I know some highly-qualified people who took years to get a LE job. Qualifications make it easier but you still need to be in the right place at the right time. My advice is to apply for several positions at all levels, and see what shakes out.
        Very good point. And I think trying to go local while applying to several federal agencies is currently the plan; my wife, however, is not very excited about the prospect of me doing night shifts for several years, THEN being gone for a 5 month training academy, THEN moving to some unknown location. I feel like this is a lot to ask of her, and if I could set my sights on one or the other, it could be easier on her--I could be an attorney and have normal hours while applying for a fed job, or be a LOE officer and not have any prospect of having to move and having to be away for 5 months.

Anyway, thanks again for all the thoughts. I really appreciate being able to take advantage of everyones' experience and insight.

Comment

If I were you I would go ahead and become an attorney while applying for Fed jobs. In my opinion, I think it would help you out more with the Feds if you were an attorney vs. a local LEO.

Comment

Originally posted by camerong View Post
            Very good point. And I think trying to go local while applying to several federal agencies is currently the plan; my wife, however, is not very excited about the prospect of me doing night shifts for several years, THEN being gone for a 5 month training academy, THEN moving to some unknown location. I feel like this is a lot to ask of her, and if I could set my sights on one or the other, it could be easier on her--I could be an attorney and have normal hours while applying for a fed job, or be a LOE officer and not have any prospect of having to move and having to be away for 5 months.

Anyway, thanks again for all the thoughts. I really appreciate being able to take advantage of everyones' experience and insight.
            I can appreciate your wanting to look down the road a bit, i.e., if I do X then maybe I won't do Y, etc. But life doesn't often work like that. Especially with LE, you might be the most qualified applicant, but if the agency isn't hiring it doesn't matter. Or maybe the mayor's son just flunked out of business school and needs a job. Bottom line, if you want LE, apply to everything that you would reasonably consider accepting. Cross bridges when you get to them.

For example, a lot of people ask me about working for the feds, and when I ask why they haven't applied yet, they say "Well, I am not sure if I would take it". My response is always, "The process is going to take at least a year, maybe 2-4 years, and you don't know what you will want by then". Just apply and don't agonize over decisions that you don't have to make. You might be lukewarm now, and then in 2 years when the offer comes you might say, wow I really want that job, glad I applied 2 years ago. Or you might really want the job now, and then in 2 years you got married, had kids, bought a house, found a great job, whatever. So you turn it down. You DON'T want to be sitting in some crap job 2 years from now WISHING you had applied. And this doesn't just go for local vs. federal, if you start practicing law you might find yourself wishing you had at least started the local hiring processes.

Obviously, you don't want to apply for too many jobs. It takes up a lot of time doing all the testing, and some agencies might see it as a little excessive if you have 20 hiring processes going on at the same time. But you should definitely throw your hat in for any job that you could possibly see yourself accepting.
            Last edited by ICEAGENT; 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM.
            Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
              The process is going to take at least a year, maybe 2-4 years, and you don't know what you will want by then
              FWIW, it took me 3.5 years to become a federal agent, from first submission of the application to getting an offer from the agency I work for. ICEAGENT is spot-on with his advice.
              sigpic

Comment

Like everyone else said, it really depends on what you want to do.

When I started working as a cop a few years ago I always said I NEVER wanted a desk job. Now I'm working on my qualifications so I can try to go Fed in a few years.

On the other hand, most people I work with would never want to go Fed. A guy I know went fed almost two years ago and was working with me when I started. He has an OIG job and hates the white collar office work. The only reason he hasn't come back yet is because his base pay is twice as much as it was here, and that's without including the LEAP and locality pay.

I love the people I work with and the brotherhood amongst my specific squad (most squads in the department can't stand each other), but I'm over wearing the monkey suit and pushing a clown car. Again, most people in local law enforcement couldn't see life other than pushing a squad car, and the truth is that patrol work really is the most important work in all of law enforcement.

Comment

I got a federal job right out of the military. 4 years was long enough for me of that bull****. I'm in uniform, on the road and 110% content. Call me crazy but it was worth the $20k pay cut.

I would say to plan for the future. Look ahead now for your retirement. Look where you want to be in 25 or 30 years. Compare the salaries and benefits. Do the math to determine which would be more beneficial to you.

I love the people I work with and the brotherhood amongst my specific squad (most squads in the department can't stand each other), but I'm over wearing the monkey suit and pushing a clown car. Again, most people in local law enforcement couldn't see life other than pushing a squad car, and the truth is that patrol work really is the most important work in all of law enforcement.
                  Chris, thats because some of us arent trained or skilled in anything else. If I had a choice for a different career, I'd be driving an over the road rig, going east to west. Thats the life right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                    I got a federal job right out of the military. 4 years was long enough for me of that bull****. I'm in uniform, on the road and 110% content. Call me crazy but it was worth the $20k pay cut.

I would say to plan for the future. Look ahead now for your retirement. Look where you want to be in 25 or 30 years. Compare the salaries and benefits. Do the math to determine which would be more beneficial to you.

Chris, thats because some of us arent trained or skilled in anything else. If I had a choice for a different career, I'd be driving an over the road rig, going east to west. Thats the life right there.
                    I don't think that's necessarily it. We have some extremely smart officers in my department that could be easily making 6 figures in the public world, however they're a street cop because that's what they love. I hope you didn't take what I said offensively because that's definitely not how I meant it.

My in laws were truck drivers for the year or so before I met my wife. They liked parts of it (seeing cool places), but for the most part couldn't stand it.

Comment

Originally posted by borninblue View Post
                      If you like investigations than the FBI, Secret Service, or DOJ may be something you want to look at.
                      Actually, if you really are interested in doing investigations, I would stay away from the USSS. While obviously they do conduct investigations, protection is priority one and you drop whatever you're doing if a heavy duty protection assignment comes around. That can be pretty often depending on where you are stationed.
                      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

I'm just going to say it starts with a HEART AND FAMILY.... If you dont have them two then don't apply.....The sky is the limited in the FED process. I wish is had know about this fourm 8 years ago. I'm in the Marshals process now and i can't wait to get in. Don't waste a testing seat/date for a hunrgy man/women that wants that seat!!!

Dude.. you got to have that crack head drive for a FED job...( I check my e-mails every five sec looking for a update on my process..WHEN, WHERE, WHAT'S NEXT... Dude... I got that itch for the Marshals and if you dont have the itch for a FED job your only wasting your time....

I started out in LE (8 years ago) and now I want to better myself, my skills , and take my hard working *** to another level.

Dude, go in 1000%,,, if not stay at home....and be a great dad/husband. This is COMING from a hunrgy man!!!!!!

Better yet PM me your number so when i arrest a major crack dealer, gun dealer or murder suspect, I can pass him your number so you REP him in ferderal court !!!!!!lol... lol....
                        Losing is not an "Option"

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Down View Post
                          I'm just going to say it starts with a HEART AND FAMILY.... If you dont have them two then don't apply.....The sky is the limited in the FED process. I wish is had know about this fourm 8 years ago. I'm in the Marshals process now and i can't wait to get in. Don't waste a testing seat/date for a hunrgy man/women that wants that seat!!!

Dude.. you got to have that crack head drive for a FED job...( I check my e-mails every five sec looking for a update on my process..WHEN, WHERE, WHAT'S NEXT... Dude... I got that itch for the Marshals and if you dont have the itch for a FED job your only wasting your time....

I started out in LE (8 years ago) and now I want to better myself, my skills , and take my hard working *** to another level.

Dude, go in 1000%,,, if not stay at home....and be a great dad/husband. This is COMING from a hunrgy man!!!!!!

Better yet PM me your number so when i arrest a major crack dealer, gun dealer or murder suspect, I can pass him your number so you REP him in ferderal court !!!!!!lol... lol....
                          I see what you're saying, but I have to disagree partly. Fed applications are something that you need to drop in, then forget about it until somebody gives you a call and tells you what the next step is. Otherwise, you're going to drive yourself crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                            I see what you're saying, but I have to disagree partly. Fed applications are something that you need to drop in, then forget about it until somebody gives you a call and tells you what the next step is. Otherwise, you're going to drive yourself crazy.
                            Agree completely. It took me over 3 years to get hired with my agency, and had I thought about it every second, I would be drooling at the mouth and rambling on about aliens sending microwaves into my brain.

The federal process is a lesson in patience, if nothing else. I will also agree that due to the length of the process, that it does take dedication to wanting the job (or enjoying the job you have in the meantime so that you don't think about your application often).
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                              +3

Slow Down, I definitely admire your passion. When I was in the fed hiring process, I went through phases where I was going crazy obsessing over when I would hear about the next step. However, I also went through periods where I would get happy with my current position, my personal situation and I wouldn't even think about my process.

You definitely have to keep your fed apps on the backburner of your mind, at least at the beginning stages. Don't even tell people (except close family) that you applied, otherwise everyone, especially co-workers and bosses will be constantly bugging you. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received regarding federal applications is to treat it like a hobby, take it seriously but don't obsess over the reality of it until you really have to make a decision.
                              Last edited by ICEAGENT; 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11857 users online. 440 members and 11417 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X